1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

IAPLC 2012 grading detail is out

Discussion in 'News Around the World' started by Shadow, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I don't bother read the article. Amano comment always change to justify the result :)))

Sponsored link:

2. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

I kinda guessed that after the first one I entered. Devoured all the comments and- conclusion is the same after all these years since 2006. :-"

Understandably it's to protect the other judges & their decisions.

I think this year's judging criteria is a cop out. He & the other judges doesn't want to be responsible for the results due to the severe brick batting and biatching EVERY year, and so voting is introduced.

3. hydrozam

hydrozam New Member

photo trimming concern...

this maybe O.T. but since the topic is about IAPLC...
    maybe it's considerable...

my concern is regarding the IAPLC rules on online submission of photos which stated that Do not make any image processing such as trimming or retouch.

Does this mean that IAPLC will do the trimming for us...
    Any experiences here submitting photos that need to be trimmed and don't do anything on it and does IAPLC do the job later...

Got a problem here with my Camera Settings & my Tank Size... :phew:

Thanks!

4. StanChung

Yes they do all that an more but do get your exposure right- they will not fix that for you.

hydrozam likes this.
  5. Aquadream

Aquadream Aspiring Aquascaper

I was not aware that ADA would get all of the trimming work done. They do not say so anywhere. Does this mean that if I cut out just the tank front image out of the picture that ADA will regard this photo as some kind of fraud?
    It makes no sense. If they would like to have the original of any picture they should say so.

hydrozam likes this.
  6. StanChung

No, their objective is not to look out for fraud. They're pretty cool about that.
    Their more concerned with the quality & number of entries IMO.

However, to confirm you should ask them. I've never cropped my pictures in all 6 times I've entered.

7. Aquadream

Well I did ask. Now it is time to wait and see what are they going to say about cropping.

hydrozam likes this.
  8. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

Judging by the pics in the IAPLC Contest Book, it looks like Stan is correct, since all the pics are just inside the glass edge. So it stands to reason that they weren't all sent in that way.

9. Aquadream

That all pics were not sent equally cropped it is most likely, but that still does not answer well enough what is that ADA want for contest entry. The original whole picture from the camera or what ever?
    They say no digital processing. That is ok. But then I use 18MP camera that makes 25MB file size. ADA accepts up to 5MB. So just getting the file size down to 5MB is already digital processing.
    The other way would be to set the camera on low resolution, but how is the quality going to be any good then?

I hope they will answer my e-mail soon. If they do I will post here what ever they tell me about the pictures.

10. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

my compact dgcam is only 4mp........after cropping all sides, top to bottom and left to right sides of the glass,
    the image it produced, of course not of good quality pic, but despite of this my entry was registered and confirmed by ADA IAPLC committe:Happy:

oh btw georgi,....cropping of pic is allowed...if you did not crop your tank when you send it, the assigned committee will crop it for you. but i think applicant should crop their photo before sending esp the top part of the tank for the optimum effect they want to show.

hydrozam likes this.
  11. Aquadream

My entry this year was also registered and confirmed.
    I have not seen yet one of the contest books with the tank pictures in there. Do they display the pictures like in Book of ADA catalogue or is there some other difference?
    I wish they were a bit more specific about this things.

hydrozam likes this.
  12. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

This is why I do not enter or will NEVER be a judge, everyone hates you, you get nothing good in return, lots of work, but no pay, it is a "lose-lose" job.

I sort of don't blame them on that level.

13. Aquadream

It all comes down to contests having rules, but no one really takes them into account.

I have decided to give it a chanse this year to see how the new IAPLC system will work, but if I see the grading mess from 2011 repeating again it will be my last entry there.

14. yankadi

yankadi Aspiring Aquascaper

Not everyone think that ,,lose-lose" job is a tragedy, theres some people who can do that glad, without any fee. See less $ in front of everything and the world will be more beatiful.

15. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I probably will be glad just to be the first person to see great scape from well known aquascaper around the world

16. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

being a judge is always nice for reputation

17. Aquadream

So far I have not received an answer from ADA about cropping pictures. 3 e-mails, more than a month and total ignorance. Impressive communication.

18. hydrozam

hydrozam New Member

ThAnks for all of your replies on my query...
    i also inquire IAPLC about it just like what Aquadream did but it's been a month and i received no reply from them...
    anyway'z, as what mr. ed had said, he does cropping on his entry so i think i'll do this also before sending it to them....
    Thank you everyone... MORE POWER to us.....

19. viktorlantos

viktorlantos Aspiring Aquascaper

meanwhile we're arguing about doing crop or not, asian folks will dominate the best tanks again. does not make sense to find something all the time. do a freakin' cool tank and be with the bests. does not matter the cropping and other if you're on the top of what you're doing.

if i would be the organizer i also would not answer to these kind of questions. the rules are out. the contest is organized several times in the past. there's nothing new to it. what we can be sure about is the winning works will be amazing again. so let's do our best and make the asian folks life harder this year.... or the next ;)
    this is fun after all and pretty challenging when you try to do something which fits to the best works.

20. Aquadream

Well said Victor. I wish it was that simple.

IAPLC is asian contest and asians will always dominate the ranking either by best aquascapes or just by shear number of participants.

Now, as a general ruse ADA tries to get all top winners to be present on the awarding IAPLC ceremony, right?
    Well then! If the first 100 layouts are voted by Nature Aquarium Party participants how can anyone know up front who the winners would be? Because it seem to me un feasible to invite 100 aquascapers to the party to make sure that the winners are present. Not everyone has the money to fly to Japan. And if not then the awarding ceremony may suffer lack of winner to be awarded in front of tv cameras, which have never happened before.
    When anyone answers the above comment will also answer any question about beating the asian aquascapers on that contest.

By the way ADA did answer my question regarding cropping pictures by saying this;
    "Thank you for your entry to the IAPLC 2012.
    Your image was accepted. "
    I suppose this will have to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.