1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

IAPLC 2012 grading detail is out

Discussion in 'News Around the World' started by Shadow, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Sponsored link:

2. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

So if each contestant has a password, and even if you have not been put through, if one just sends a empty tank entry, it will still have a password, and do that 100 times, which is easy, one can really mess up the contest.

Now looking at the grand prize, is makes economical sense to hire someone to do a entry every hour, for a week, making it 40 entries for a single person. Now, if that person does one entry every 30 minutes, it will make it 80 entries for the week.

Do you see the possibilities here? Even if you do two good tanks, they just need to pass the 1st round, to then having access to a Grand prize, as it is the sum of A.. :)

3. Shadow

That what I'm afraid out since the beginning when the disclose the idea at IAPLC 2011 party. I did email them about the weakness possibilities but I guess they don't really listen.

Empty tank probably will be rejected but what so difficult to make small tank with random flora and fauna, take photo and submit it

4. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

When I mean empty tank is just tank with two plants, a rock and gravel, you can do one, take a photo and pass to another person to post, in a hour you can do over 10 if you apply yourself. :)

This is going to be fun. :)

5. Shadow

Yeah going to be fun, the number of participant might suddenly climb up :))

6. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

7. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

Just make as many micro tanks as you have the space for- some gravel, twigs, lava rock and your cuttings. Heck you can even use terran species- you don't need to win points. The idea is to register as many entries as you can to get votes. So ANY container with some water & plants will do.

I'm saying this out here so all of us can show them how stupid this approach is despite our whining er... warnings. [where's that evil emoticon when you need it] :time:

8. hamza

hamza Aspiring Aquascaper

How many tanks will be published eventually in 2012 catalogue? top 200 or all the entries?

9. StanChung

Do use a transparent container at the very least. XD :))

10. severumkid

severumkid Aspiring Aquascaper

The judges at the AGA this year were so pathetic, OMG. I know one of them who can hardly claim to have a decent planted tank. The entire competition (AGA) sucked big time because of the stupid remarks made by the croud of new judges. Dont know how they select them.

But IAPLC is much better with a proper ranking system in place and best part is that they are trying to make it as transparent as possible. Kudos.

11. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

you are quite late with your remarks but i am happy you voice it out:))

12. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

Since you imply you can do better................join the AGA and lobby yourself for the spot.

I've been asked many times to be a judge: nope.

But this process of the ADA is really whacky.

Never seen anything quite this messed up, it's somewhat shocking if you put this much effort into other aspects, but then get this type of thing.
    All contest have some issues and the comments are meant to help the people improve, but often they come across as snide.

Still, this type of judging process hardly seems anywhere near fair.
    Seems many will opt out, not enter. Which I think is NOT the goal ADA has in mind.

13. Shadow

Will see whether Japan will be 2012 grand champion or not ;). If it does, I'm sure hobbyist will start complaining about unfairness regardless the quality of the scape :)).

14. StanChung

Yup- transparent-TRANSPARENTLY BAD! Totally riggable and deaf ear to our 'whining' with standard reply to those who actually wrote to them. Yes, we compared notes in the back channels.

They are unpaid lot[to my knowledge most or all judges are] and they try but I think they are too nice and afraid to disqualify/punish blatant cheaters- at least ADA does minus marks of some highly ranked tank they spotted using same materials. Eg Yutaka Kanno. [which I thought didn't look the same. Moss covered rocks- how could one tell? LOL.

Anyway- whatever it is-I will still support whatever contest as it drives the hobby forward by pushing limits and getting more people interested. Staying positive is the only way IMO.

15. severumkid

Just to clarify, I have nothing against AGA nor am I pro IAPLC in any way. I am a aspiring aquascaper and I found this year AGA to be disappointing. That's due to factors like same kinda scapes, I found only 3-4 scapes in the entire competition to be of interest. Lack of a ranking system, No transparency for mere mortals who participate from far of places and does not have any chance to rub shoulders with the so called 'AGA lobby'. Not to forget the low profile judges with lesser bandwidth. I had expected much more professionalism, accuracy and finesse from a reputed body like AGA.

I do not know about this system that ADA has launched, I have not gone through the rules and do not want to do so either. I make tanks as I have a itch for creating scapes. For me, I will surely come across and complain at the end of the show if I feel that it has not been held as it should have been. If I feel that a less deserving scape has been awarded while a better had been neglected, I will be happy to say so.

But, as of now, I do not think a bad scape will win because of votes. If it does then we will criticize.

@Plant brain - What I implied was that the previous years judging were much better than this. <):)

@Stanchung - what does pay has got to do with it? If they think its a burden without being paid then they are not in the right space.

16. StanChung

Talk is cheap. You have never graded a single contest.

17. plantbrain

Neither have I, nor will I, but I do still complain:), But the AGA has heard me and my concerns, because I am a member. I suppose if I was an ADA vendor, they might listen, but I sort of doubt it.

Still, judging is a thankless job and hard, and no $ involved and everyone hates you except for a few folks at the end of the day. And that's if the judging is a fair process .........

It's just a strong question given the new IAPLC format this year. I understand why they are doing it, but wonder if they gave it much thought beyond that. Seems they spend plenty of time ponders scapes, but not the judging methods. Would art competitions be run this way? What might be a better way to get more entries and foster more novel scapes? What criticism/s will the new judging criteria present?

Lack of forethought is not good in a scape design rules.........nor a competition grading scheme. Getting other people's feedback is most useful sometimes, I do not think that this was done.

But then again, while I moan about it, I also do not enter either.
    Never have.

18. plantbrain

Well, AGA is a non profit club, you can join and you can lobby to be a judge.
    It's the oldest on line contest on the web.

I feel the NBAT type system in person is the fairest way to judge an aquarist, but that's got it's own issues also. Bu the end winners of all these contest are really nice tanks and the level has gotten much better world wide in the last decade.

So this bodes well for the hobby and the contest, regardless.

19. StanChung

Maybe I should explain myself better-
    They agree to grade a contest-and they do it with their time that could be spent better with their family or making money even if they are not paid.

It's easy to be whine anonymously in forums. Everybody of any importance/long enough in hobby in English Aquscaping world knows Tom and his position but you sir are full of hot air.

20. severumkid

@Stunchung - Please do not blow your lid. :) I am not comparing myself with anyone. All I want to say is that there are many people worldwide who are willing to judge a competition like AGA. So this is kind of a coveted position. So the question of whining does not arrive at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.