1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Iaplc 2010 top 27

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by ravattar, Oct 2, 2010.

1. MonoBarrientos

MonoBarrientos New Member

I cannot believe what I'm reading
    please comun sense.

Saludos

Sponsored link:

2. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I agree, this is not photoshop competition. To make it worst, it is clearly stated in the entry rule and regulation. If ADA does not follow their own rule why bother the rule in the first place.

THe IAPLC stated: (http://en.iaplc.com/about/application.html)

3. Pereiro

Pereiro New Member

I agree with Monobarrientos. That aquascape never existed (photoshop) so it should be disqualified or the contest change the rules

4. ravattar

ravattar Aspiring Aquascaper

It is not photoshoped. We have to look at hardcore of the problem. What if photo of #7 was been done by non digital camera? It would be very easy to perform this effect just by revers of slide or negative. One more argument is that Takashi Amano did (and may be do) the same

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Use of this simple effect in common case is undetectable. So better to change rules and to officially allow use of it.

5. viktorlantos

viktorlantos Aspiring Aquascaper

i agree with many of you. flipping images in image manipulation softwares is not something what competitions could accept. this is totally different if ADA playing tricks in magazines since that is only for presentation. the purpose if different.

flipping images is an effect which creates a view that never exist.

by the way, this could be extremly hard to the judges to identify these tricks and disqualify entrants.

even if the tank become much better than last year i would disqualify just because he flipped the image.

6. MonoBarrientos

ravattar,

Amano's tanks and what he does with their images No have relation with the contest rules...

and i will not be guided by what they do or not do .

is so difficult to compete honestly???

7. rahamen

rahamen New Member

8. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

link doesn´t work

Arryl says he saw them both live and they are 2 different scapes. link
    sure similar plants, hardscape and layout but the final result has improved. And for sure ADA has noticed the issue but decided to accept this work. Whether it is flipped or not - only the author knows for sure.

MonoBarrientos,
    ADA gives points for originality/creativity - looking forward for the 2010 book to see the exact point on this one

Congratulations to all winning works :celebrate:

9. MonoBarrientos

Saddens and disappoints me most is the silence and serious aquascapers defending fraud. :( :(

Now it comes to finding the weak point of the rules precisely to circumvent them? .....for me is only a commun sense thing

sorry, is only my sincere opinion

10. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Maybe IAPLC rules requires an update?

11. MonoBarrientos

maybe... but the point is....that layout is CLEARLY adulterated, and the rules says :
    Do not make any image processing such as trimming or retouch.

12. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

i saw tom barr saying on the barr report that he thinks people should be required to submit video along with their pics. that way the judges get to see the tank as a whole, and video is a lot harder to shop.

i think this is a great principle, you can still submit your one awesome pic, but the judges get to see a bit more to rate the tank on.

13. Ubaca

Ubaca New Member

I certainly agree with Monobarrientos ... and not just to share that heals poorly euphoria competitions and be my friend .... but because it has the authority, talent and courage to report.
    And no doubt ... silence is granted ...
    The landscape has changed both the last 3 years ... requires updated ... understand that landscapes ... are not "nice" but have, though emerging
    flashes of art ...
    Perhaps it would be worthwhile to take this discussion to get something positive ... real debates. critical of what our site and where Aquascape we like ...
    Regards.
    Héctor

14. rahamen

rahamen New Member

15. viktorlantos

viktorlantos Aspiring Aquascaper

16. ravattar

ravattar Aspiring Aquascaper

mirroring and rules

However mirroring is not trimming neither retouch. I think that logically one may get from this statement another one:

Any other image processing (that is not trimming or retouch) is allowed.

17. Apache

Apache New Member

Hello Monbarrientos,

I think this kind of discussion will never happen when people only know the 27 first layout...

It's not clearly adulterated as you said, it's not true.

Also think about the notation, you accept it or not, test by sending the tank done in 2009 with the name of your wife, make a mirror and see your position...:plane: if you progress in all the parts, you will go better...and higher...just do it...you have really strong talent so burn it into the good mood..

This 1400 pictures and places make people more concern, but also ego take some shots but you should not focus on that, as far as I am a professionnal photographer, I can tell you that mirror is not a retouch, but an interpretation, retouch is lying, it's adding, changing, erasing... a mirror erase nothing, everybody saw this.. So perhaps it's hard to understand but don't mix mirror and lying.... it's like changing the lense distortion, it's not an effect, a ly, it's a correction...and this is allowed, like cleaning dust and find the good calibration..

The fact judgment make never the best point, see, probably most of us would have vote for the number 4, a real UFO in the aquascape world...it will open new door but it's not the number 1...

I think when we start to have this feeling, instead of shouting on people, denounce them, like you do or like I rode about an old post ( more than this accusation was tottaly wrong), it's not a good way to react...probably the best philosophy is to do it for your pleasure and not for contest...contest ...

18. MonoBarrientos

ja, ok
    why do you not recognize the obvious point????
    i remember you this is the top 27 "best layouts". No discuss for the 700-1800 places......is the top 27!!! please!

so i am crazy or stupid, but the picture is absolutly and obviously adulterated... In the top 27 level??? sorry but is a lack of respect for the organization to its participants.

NO WAY!!!!
    I prefeer send an HONEST picture

well, my hobby is aquascaping.

I am very bad photographer and maybe bad philosopher..

But my concience is quite

In this you are very right ;) . I make planted tanks more than 10 years ago, and do it for pleasure.

but , the motivation for make a good tank is a personal thing....if some aquascaper do it thinking in a contest...well, is a simple choice.... and is a respetable too.

but is not the point. And i belive this is not only an "wrong acusation"; is a simply true thing...that`s all
    bad reaction?? maybe...inmature reaction? ok...but is only my sincere reaction. And i am not the only thinking the same.
    "Saludos"

19. Apache

Apache New Member

Mono`

your work is amazing fresh and honnest, keep your eyes and work the same way and don't give a shit with places ..competition make good things I think but also can make trouble as far as the best is never the first when judging is in the hand of human nature....and when also business is in question...

best

20. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

At the end of the day the problem is not with the entrant. If he breaks the rules then he accepts that he may lose credit.

The problem is more the contest that does not apply the rules. IAPLC has this issue every year and I gues always will. The number of entries make it impossible to find all problems.

However I agree with Monobarrientes. If this scape is outside top 100 then so be it. We would complain but forget. With it being Top 10 then it becomes a big problem.

For me it doesn;t matter if it is mirrored or if it is re-work of the old scape. I am pretty sure that there is a rule on previous entries where they have been improved and it details something about being marked down for being a previous entry. this is obviously not the case here. It is a rework of a previous entry whether it has been started again or mirrored via photoshop.

Is it the AGA that has the rule that photo must be straight from camera? or is this rule for ADA too? If so then ADA would be left with only 100-200 photos after all photoshop is disqualified as many use photoshop to alter contrast etc.

AC