1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

i must be doing something wrong here...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by justo-23, Dec 10, 2011.

1. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

I have had my Aquarium(i hesitate to call it an aquascape, due to the fact that i'm having troubles keeping anything other than two species of plants alive) for over a year now, and can't seem to get the algae problem to go away.

I have seen many scapes here that supposedly get the algae to die out during set up and then there are no more problems with it. Can this be done? or is it not that simple.

I have two main questions, 1-what type of algae do i have? 2-HOW DO I GET RID OF IT???

Setup:

60 gal. 36x18x24"
    Marineland C-360 canister filter
    DIY C02 (yeast in a bottle, then bubbled straight into filter intake)
    4 T5 HO lights - 2 CORALIFE 10k 39w and 2 CORALIFE actinic 39w (156w total) on 8 hours a day

Livestock:
    22 Brilliant Raspora
    6 YoYo Loaches
    2 Bushy Nose Pleco
    2 Shrimp

My wife has been getting quite upset about the tanks appearance as it is in the front room...
    https://sites.google.com/site/justo23project/home/aquascaping/1.jpg?attredirects=0
    [​IMG]

and
    https://sites.google.com/site/justo23project/home/aquascaping/2.jpg?attredirects=0
    [​IMG]

you can see some of the algae on the back of the tank and on the leaves (photo taken with flash)
    https://sites.google.com/site/justo23project/home/aquascaping/3.jpg?attredirects=0
    [​IMG]

close up of plants with flash
    https://sites.google.com/site/justo23project/home/aquascaping/4.jpg?attredirects=0
    [​IMG]

and a close up without flash
    https://sites.google.com/site/justo23project/home/aquascaping/5.jpg?attredirects=0
    [​IMG]

2. JJD

JJD New Member

pics arent there.

3. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

hmmm... they load for me... let me put in some links to where they're posted online as well...

4. JJD

JJD New Member

Im still a noob at this myself so im sure one of the more accomplished members here will give better info . In my opinion you need many more plants to reach that equilibrium we all search for. espcially with the amount of fish you have. also I would suggest getting some Ottos and snails. I dont know the name of your algea but I assure you I have it too. I have 3 Ottos .6 shrimp . and 4 snails and still get it.. I guess I need more advice too. good luck ,Ill be watching for others to help you

5. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

Yep... i just bought 13 Ottos tonight, immediately they started settling on the plants and a few i cought nibbling on the algae :spy: hope they didn't notice me watching in case they're shy :D

I'll start adding more plants soon, the lights used to be just two T5 HO and were recently doubled to the four, i just need to set up my substrate for a good beginners planted tank and hopefully upgrade to compressed CO2 soon.

I love the look of these awesome scapes, but will settle for successfully growing plants first :)

Would still love to hear any and all advice on this algae tho :)

6. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

It could also be the duration that you keep your lights on. How many hours per day? What ferts do you use and how often? Also how often do you do water changes?

7. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

30-50% water changes weekly, lights on 7-8 hours a day, and just barely started dosing Nutrafin Plant Gro weekly (after water changes) no other ferts tho...

8. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I see a couple issues, one being DIY CO2 with that much light. You have too much light for DIY CO2. You could keep that level of lighting by adding pressurized CO2 or you could cut your light in half and continue with DIY CO2. I can't see your pics, so don't what plants you are growing, but if you cut the light only certain plants will grow, anubias sp., cryptocoryne sp, ferns, mosses.

So your algae is the result of too much light and a poor fertilizing routine. Light is the throttle, the gas pedal. If you drive a car fast without oil (Co2) and little gas you will have problems, this is essentially what you are doing with your tank.

Cut the light in half (not the duration, 8 hours is good) or add Co2 and fertilize using a regular routine like EI dosing.

Once you decide this we can work on tackling the algae.

9. ShadowMac

okay so I saw a couple pics. too much light for the plants you are growing. The variations in color on the anubias leaves, the darker color lining the veins with lighter color in between indicates some nutrient deficiencies.

You do not have many plants at all. I would suggest adding a lot more after cutting the light or adding pressurized CO2. A good plant would be hygrophilia difformis.

I need some close ups of the algae to better identify it, but looks like green dust algae and and green spot algae. Both indications of too much light and too little nutrients.

10. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

Thanks for the input ShadowMac :) my wife likes the hygrophilia difformis, which is a good thing, and hopefully i'll be able to get the pressurized CO2 set up in the next few months here... till then, i'll cut the light and watch my drop checker (being shipped right now) and get more vegetation in the tank.

Again I thank you humbly for all your help and input, with any luck we might just find that aquascaper i know is lurking inside me :D

11. ShadowMac

other good plants would be cryptocoryne species

12. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

good to know :)
    I'll add it to the list!

13. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

UPDATE: my LFS just got in a fairly large shipment of plants and lots of 'em were cryptocoryne species. so i bought a taller red stemmed one as well as a smaller one. I was thrilled to find out that i already had some in my tank tho... Cryptocoryne, Balansae :) and it is spreading via runners like crazy.

Most surprisingly of all, my wife likes the new look of the aquarium alot more now that it's getting more plants in it :D i will not complain, this means she now wants me to get a pressurized co2 set-up (i got a drop checker under the tree a few days ago) and she wants me to get more substrate and build up the elevation a bit more in places.

I'll post some pic.s when i can take them.

Justin

14. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

hey justin, nice to hear about your new equitment :113: congrates