1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hulllllllllooooooooo

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Vandal Gardener, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Vandal Gardener

Vandal Gardener New Member

A big warm hello from Edinburgh,

I have been keeping fish for nearly two decades, gone through the stages of addiction - just one more wee nanotank-itis to sickening myself when my Juwel Rio 240 had detached from the external heater and flooded pretty much 3/4's of the capacity when I was at work.

I decided to get back in to the hobby at the end of last year as I've been neglecting my parents tank (a dreaded Trigon 190 which I actually like but now understand how much of a pain it is to try to aquascape since it seems to break all the rules/conventions re golden ratio etc) it has spent the last few years in a poor attempt at using the theories that Diana Walstadd (apologies about spelling feeling lazy) about natural light and low tech crypts and java ferns, anubias and the obligatory java moss and riccia from previous years enthusiasm.

So now I've got my armpits wet again I thought I'd return to ASW since it was one of the only and best aquascaping sites from the last time I really was enthusiastic about aquariums (2008 ish).

My line up of equipment is pretty much the kit that came with the trigon except I upgraded the pump to 1000 l/ph and added an Eheim 2322 thermofilter. CO2 is just about managed via yeast and sugar DIY being fed through an ebay diffuser although I'm not sure if using a spray outlet with CO2 attached to venturi is more effective way of getting it in the tank. 2 x 28w (6500k, 9000K). Tropica plant substrate over 2-3" 1-2mm gravel and Tom Barr's PMDD dosing of dry salts.

Anyway I'm getting a bit carried away with the details it's only a howdaydo :)

John Whatmough and Tim Harrison like this.
  2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Vandal

Welcome back to ASW, what are the plans for the tank now?

As this is an international unless you Google your location its an unknown location, will you fill in your location and country in your profile please

Edinburgh, the capital city of Scotland, is known by a number of nicknames and colloquial names. It is commonly known as "Auld Reekie", a name thought to originate from a distinctive mix of sewage stench and pou and smoke/smog in the Old Town of Edinburgh.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Vandal Gardener

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the warm welcome and I'll update my location details.

As for plans for the tank - I would say a Dutch inspired psychedelic jungle-esque choas :)

I love Tom Barr's work (who doesn't) and still haven't got over my obsession with red plants so still plugging away with them.

I recently acquired a second hand aquanano 55 litre tank and have been blown away by Serok's ( again apologies for spelling) Bonsai paludarium which I'm now putting the pieces together to try and recreate - funds are limited so things go at a snails pace. I have been reading through the archives and hoped I could tap his or all you folks expertise about the basics of setting it up (i.e. all the unseen things).

Indeed "Auld Reekie" and throwing buckets of untreated sewage out of the window onto the street is unbelievable now although the way our local council organises its finances I think the proud city is not far from returning to those dark days. DSC00625.JPG

Edit to add - already figures out hosting photos

Not that my tanks are worthy of attention and the scratches left all along the glass by younger unattended relatives and those blahblahblah algae magnets were also enough to put me off for some years!

All the best

Paul

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    TryHardDutchScaper likes this.
  4. keithgh

Shane P. likes this.
  5. Vandal Gardener

Hi Keith,

Your link just goes straight to google images but its been showcased here, and a lot of other places I'm sure it rated in the top 10 of one of the major competitions, I've seen something similar since set up by Filipe Oliveira.

Re the skills involved I've got a fairly good grasp of the aquatic side of things and have an experimental 2 gallon punch dispenser holding its own with emersed AR, Glosso, styraugene repens (sp?), Ludwigia sp super red, riccia and moss holding their own, its early days so will see how they look in a couple of months.

But couldn't agree more about the finances. Although to be honest I'm not an ADA fanboy/purist so I find that the wait is generally a good thing. I've accumulated a box of fish stuff junk over the years and if I started tallying up the nonsense buys my heart misses a beat so slowly slowly so to speak only means less stuff in the box later on down the line.

Anyway hope you're in fine form bud, I saw one of your tanks and my goodness a thing of beauty. Hats off to ya :)

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

Vandal

What is going to be your next step. Established Bonsia's can be bought at many good garden suppliers where I live, younger pieces are always very cheap.

Keith :cat::cat:

Vandal Gardener likes this.
  7. Vandal Gardener

Well in the grand scheme of things I've already got the bonsais (two starter brush type - one's Myrtle and one's Chinese Elm sorry don't know the latin names) they're both just starter trees and from one of my auld man's bonsai books the myrtle would appreciate the higher humidity at the higher indoor temperatures.

I'm led to believe the Chinese Elm is the easier of the two and that I probably should consider a ficus or serona (sp) but I've got them now and as said I'm going at this at a snails pace so wouldn't expect anything in the real world for at least a year as I'd like to build it up to a kind of dream set up - deary me I sound about 7 years old, I'm into my fourth decade.

So pretty much it'll be a blatant plaguerisation (Sp) of a mixture of Serok and Mr O's works , along lines of

Dennerle 6 in 1 (already got)
    I like the sand (cheap as chips to be decided) have approx. 4 litres of dennerle scapers soil (LFS freebie)
    black lava rock - only seen one place on line aquasabi and seems to be highly inflated price for what it is, dragon stone at AE is just about half the price! -
    have no idea what kind of quantity are used in both of these scapes -
    I pretty sure the tanks are scapers so approx. 40 cm wide which I would be working along those lines, although I love my aquanano I'm still not convinced I like the curved corners so would consider to a more traditional if not clear silicone job.

As for lights well that's where the boys toys and internet imaginary lottery win shopping whataboutery happens Chihiros looks to be a good starter for my budget but the star trek looking Kessil appeals to the 7 year old in me :) even although I get a cold sweat about how much they are.

A day at a time Keith, I'll just keep building bits and pieces and gather knowledge looking at all the cracking set ups here and another UK site I mainly visit.

All the best

8. keithgh

Vandal

Looks like you have every thing under control, keep us updated with photos please.

Keith:cat::cat:

9. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

Cool thread! Will be following for sure!

Vandal Gardener and keithgh like this.
  10. audimurf

audimurf New Member

keep it up!

11. Vandal Gardener

Well it seems good intentions paves the way.......

OR another cliché something about how masters make everything look easy -

My idea about the bonsai is still burning away and the trees are both plugging away quite healthily but the more I get to grips with lava rock/hardscape material in terms of hardscape to water volume ratio the more I think I'd rather just have a tank full of fish and shrimp and obviously plants.

Who knows I feel the multiple tank syndrome rearing it's head again instead of another nano-ish sized (Dennerle scaper 50L) think I'd prefer to go for a 80x40x40 and up my populations of pygmy corries, cpd's and chili rasboras.

12. keithgh