1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

How's this looking?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by LuniqueKero, Sep 9, 2017.

1. LuniqueKero

LuniqueKero New Member

Hey everyone, I've been dreaming of having a 55 Gal tank for a couple of months now (I'm completely new to having an aquarium). I know nothing in term of aquascaping other than the various articles and guide I've been reading for the past couple of months. Here's a rough plan I drew of what I want for my aquarium.

[​IMG]

My question is, since I want the pebbles to be in a slope, with boulders on top, are there techniques I should know to prevent the design from flattening out overtime?

Zeus likes this.
  2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

LuniqueKero

[​IMG]

I've been dreaming of having a 55 Gal tank for a couple of months now (I'm completely new to having an aquarium). I know nothing in term of Aquascaping

Does this mean you have had a tank but not Aquascaped it or a complete raw beginner?

My question is, since I want the pebbles to be in a slope, with boulders on top, are there techniques I should know to prevent the design from flattening out overtime.

That is easy underground retaining walls worked in with your boulders.
    As you sketch was not in jpg. this was the only size I could work on. There was point I noticed very quickly your Aquascape was two scapes with a pathway in the centre. I stretched each side to give you an idea of what can be done.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. LuniqueKero

LuniqueKero New Member

I'm a complete beginner! Had a 20gal tank when I was about 12 but that's it! what do you mean by retaining wall?

4. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

Retaining wall would mean putting plastic or some kind of straight rock under the substrate to "retain" or hold back the substrate.

5. keithgh

LuniqueKero

[​IMG]
    Underground retaining walls they were all pushed down when I added a few rocks/driftwood.

I would suggest you make a "Mock Tank" and use your substrate or even sand. Its a lot easier to work in as you can work from the open front not the top.
    [​IMG]

6. LuniqueKero

LuniqueKero New Member

thanks a lot thats very helpful!

7. keithgh

LuniqueKero

The obvious question now is "What is your next step?"

The more research and planning you do now means far less mistakes you will make and concerns you will have once you start.

Nigel95 likes this.
  8. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Also your Budget may effect which route to take. High tech tends to be more expensive with CO2 and expensive lights etc So deciding which route would suit you budget will help you choose which plants to go for.

9. keithgh

LuniqueKero

All I can add to that is do not be tempted to buy "Cheap" and, upgrade later. If you are not sure what to do I would suggest go "Low Tech" first and during that time learn as much as you can.