1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

How to use back-lighting for photography purposes

Discussion in 'Aquatic Photography' started by biobio, Oct 16, 2011.

1. biobio

biobio Aspiring Aquascaper

You need:
    - some space behind tank (5-10cm) with screen or wall (possibly white- not necessary) at the end ,
    - one or two light tubes (two for more delicate light effects with different position of light sources),
    - some semitransparent colored filters (I am using simple colored plastic bags for everyday use – see photo)
    - and eventually some semitransparent mate foil or paper (tracing paper).

Let’s see some examples from my experiments with backlighting:

White wall 15cm behind tank (last photo - no back light too). I combine different color plastic bags directly in the empty space (without mate foil on the back of tank) and with and less intense indirect top lightning.
    Without mate tracing paper, shades are sharper and background colors are not so soft...

[​IMG]

green bag, indirect top light
    [​IMG]

blue bag, indirect top light
    [​IMG]

Semi transparent foil (trace paper) added on the back, different combinations of bags behind and top intense back light
    [​IMG]

Another tank: Experiments with two back light tubes in different positions (first up, second down). Wall 10cm behind tank, no mate foil. I wrapped some parts of light tube directly with different colored bags.
    [​IMG]

Final photo:
    blue bags on top and bottom back light tube. Bottom light is in the right corner to point out passages under roots.
    [​IMG]

etc, etc,....

With a little imagination and these “equipment” – the sky is a limit.
    Nothing that I am using in my backlight experiments (even on tank with 120x50cm screen) cost me more than 15eur...
    :yo:

DeepScape, Flo, Tim Harrison and 2 others like this.

Sponsored link:

2. biobio

biobio Aspiring Aquascaper

Another example:
    Tank of my friend from Croatia. Tank is located in the attic. Sloped roof is screen behind tank. Pure improvisation - cost nothing. Bulb on chair covered with paper or something else as colored filter. This is central light source and gives radial effect of lighting (not linear as light tube)

[​IMG]

IMO excellent result with just a little imagination… In a split of second with backlight it is possible to change overall sense of tank.

Tank with black background:

[​IMG]

Background removed. With buble back light in the slightly different positions and color "filters":-"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:yo:

Attached Files:

3. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

Brilliant!!!! I have saved this page to favorites and will be using your instructions soon. Boy, you saved me a bunch of money with your great and imaginative techniques! Your tanks look spectacular! Inspiring stuff thanks again!!!---Randy

4. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Super helpful post. Many thanks buddy.

5. dr.dzek

dr.dzek New Member

excellent explanation!
    <):)

6. ruson

ruson New Member

Very handy! Ive made my backlight with a T8 daylight but these examples have expanded my horizon! XD

7. jasonperry

jasonperry Aspiring Aquascaper

8. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

if only we coud have backdrops to go from sunrise to sunset.. XD one day. nice post

9. jasonperry

P040612_19.58.jpg hey there biobio ur design has really got my attention this is my tank up 2 date after i did a rescape around a month ago i am after having a different backing design that will show the plants out more and give a better effect but dont know what to come up with just wondering if you could give me some advise on what to do with the type of scape i have would appreciate ideas thank you :) (sorry about photo quality as its been done on phone)

10. ucitelot

ucitelot Aspiring Aquascaper

to get some complex of the backlight put some frosted glass folly
    when i get some more bulb will post picture, i try only with red bulb, will get white and blue, to try to achive sunrise :D

11. jasonperry

ok cool i was thinking thick tracing paper would that give off the same affect ?

12. jasonperry

P110612_14.16_[01].jpg P110612_14.18.jpg P110612_14.16.jpg iv had a go at the frosted affect i have white leds on there way how did i do ? :)

13. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

"privacy film" from wilcos is the best stuff for a frosted back but it is a PITA to get the bubbles out of if you're careless when putting it on.

14. jasonperry

ok garuf thanks :) will take a look. I see some on the net but dam its so dear for how much i need :eek:

15. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

16. jasonperry

ok thanks garuf and no the ones i was looking at was on privacy window sites that was all that came up but thanks will have 2 get some of this :)

17. jasonperry

i went to wilkos today and got the propper frosting window contact and very happy with result thanks for help every one and garuf (y) P150612_11.27 - Copy.jpg

18. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

If you use a blue light like blue LED or Cold Cathode above and then use a warm white below (standard cheapo 2700K tube from anywhere) then you can get sunsets :

[​IMG]

This was actually my moonlighting turned on (cold cathode tubes) and my cabinet light accidentally left on (cabinet has no back to it) :D stumbled on this look by chance.

Andy

19. jasonperry

P020712_14.50[1].jpg added my white strip of leds. i have a multi mode led panel coming 48 led 8 of them are blue to try and get like a perl type of effect. yeah i like that blue andy looks pritty cool looks like sun rise on a clear morning coming of the sea nice effect :)

20. jonathan2340

jonathan2340 New Member

Wow. This is really a wonderful information related to backlightning for photography. I really like this information that you have posted here. i am also a photographer and i think that this information is going to very beneficial for me. Keep it up