1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

How to solve brown hair algae once and for all?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by sam.h, Nov 1, 2012.

1. sam.h

sam.h New Member

Hey guys, Sam here

My aquarium has now been set up for just over a month and has been hit with all kinds of algae, most of which originated from a piece of wood I had in the tank. I've since removed the wood, but have been left with brown hair algae on almost all my plants.

[​IMG]
    My tank is 75x35x35cm(100L) and I'm running 2x T5HO 24w tubes for 6hrs a day.

So far I've increased CO2 to as much as the fish can handle, reduced the photoperiod down to 6hrs and added two wavemakers to increase flow.

What can I do to get rid of this algae? Do I need to do a blackout on the tank? I'll do whatever it takes.

Thanks!

2. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

brown algae = diatome, common in all newly setup tanks! trust me even I have it at times. the solution 50% water change for next two weeks on alternate days + continue normal fert dosing + introduce some otocinclus (they love diatomes) and possibly some yamato shrimps(guess it's hard to get yamato's in New Zealand as my friend Tom had once told me)

3. sam.h

sam.h New Member

Thanks! It's good to know that it's a waiting game, will start doing more frequent water changes then.

Would love to get some Ottos but the nearest fish store is a bit of a drive from my place. And yes, we only get native coldwater shrimp here sadly :(

4. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

well I guess shrimps in general love algae..it would be a nice experiment to try a few dwarf native shrimps to check if the much on the junkie..:)

5. sam.h

sam.h New Member

They're found in temperatures much lower than 26 degrees celsius, those who have tried keeping them at tropical temperatures have had them die after a couple of months and they also breed at sea. They do however love algae and used to keep one of my coldwater tanks spotless!

abhradip1986 likes this.
  6. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Amano shrimp and ottocinclus will clean it up almost over night, it can be a long wait without a clean up crew.

7. sam.h

sam.h New Member

So overnight my brown algae has suddenly turned grey. All I did was a water change yesterday. I won't get my hopes up too high but it would be great if this is the end of it.