1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

How to hide the aquarium "hardware"?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by charpin, Feb 15, 2010.

1. charpin

charpin New Member

Hello there,
    I am new to aquariums and quite interested in nature aquariums but before i start in earnest, I want to make sure I have answered some practical questions:

1- Where / how do you place / hide the hardware for the aquarium (heater, filter pipes, Co2 pipes, Ph sensor)...we see lots of nice pictures of aquascapes and hardly ever any trace of this hardware....????

2- If an external filter is used, for say a 120l tank, are there some heaters that connect to the piping of the filter rather than sit in the middle of the aquarium, stuck on one of the sides?

3- If I build an acrylic aquarium, is it technically proofed to have the filter piping going through the bottom of the tank (would be much more discreet).

Sorry might be basic questions but would love to hear how experienced aquarists actually do it.

2. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Normally all the equipment was taken out during photo taking. Alternately you can try hide it with tall plant at the back. Try to reduce you equipment, for example use external reactor instead of glass diffuser. By the way why do you need pH sensor?

I think there is some model that come with build in heater. Eheim maybe.

I'm using lily pipe, look pretty nice, so I do not really think that I should hide it.

3. knocker

knocker New Member

Also You can choose this kind of inline external heater. I am using one like this about 2 years, and had no problems with it. Just I use 300W version.

4. addo

addo New Member

Connect your filter through bulkheads in the bottom of your tank and go with an inline heater and external reactor. This is what i plan to do on my future tanks.

5. charpin

charpin New Member

Thks Robert.
    The pH sensor would be for the CO2 control. Not sure if necessary or if turning CO2 off when light is off is a good enough trick.

One question I have regarding the filter pipes...Is there an optimal placement for the return pipe. I though one that maximise flow of water for plants + shakes up debris towards the inlet pipe and does not disturb plants too much?

6. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I turn off my CO2 when the light off. I have been doing it for years, no issue so far.

I put my in and out flow near each other, that way water will cycle through the tank before return back to filter.