1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

How to get rid of Malaysian Trumpet Snail (MTS)?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by John N., Jan 26, 2010.

1. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

No trp will work to remove them. Cause they multiply by thousands. Either Poison (CO2. But I doubt if it works with Trumpet. I had a killer amount of CO2 in tank and nothing happened.)them or use Puffer/Loach.

Sponsored link:

2. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Just got back from getting some cooper sulfide from a plant nursery.

Consulted the agriculture department on getting rid of snails in an aquarium and they suggested that all new plants should be soak in copper sulfide for at least 5 minutes to get rid of all parasite including snails.

Went hunting for the copper sulfide, almost gave up until the forestry department said try the plant nurseries. The first one I contacted truck GOLD and they gave me some without charging me. But warn me on the condition that they never gave me the stuff. Supposedly a controlled substance.

I have taken shadows suggestion and run the tank on high CO2 over night. Hundreds of snails surfaced the next morning. I think I might have got ride of 90% of the rounded nails. BUT this morning 4 trumpet snails appeared. Same problem as John Newn's. If I find more again I will increase the CO2 again and make them appear to be caught. I hated them when they are caught, I put them in a dish and roast them till they become red hot.

Now with the Copper sulfide, I will not add any new plants without soaking them for 5 minutes. It has to be diluted 10gms to 4.5-5 litres of water.

So fellow aquascappers, solved the problems before they happen. Soak it in Copper Sulfide before putting in the tank.^:)^

3. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

But make sure you are removing any trace of copper from the plants before you put them in tank. Otherwise no inverts like Shrimps will not stay alive. Coper is highly lethal for inverts.

4. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Thanks Tirtha,

I forgot to mention rinse the plants before putting it in the aquarium. Thanks for reminding everyone here.^:)^

5. PeterB01

PeterB01 New Member

Hello ChuntC,
    I did have an very good succes with an slow working, wide spectrum medicine called: ASKAMEX. Fish and shrimps did not dy but snails are gone. Because of this wide spectrum and slow working effect, all the snails and planaria shall be gone but, don't stop to quick with refreshing the water. This because snails and worms like to hide them selves when water becomes poluted or what so ever wat can harm them. Thats the blessing from an slow and longtime working wide spectrum medication. If you can't geth this, let me know okay..
    Peter

6. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Hi Peter,

Thank you for letting everyone here knows how to get rid of snails that are already n the tank. I will try find out if I can get ASKAMEX here. I am sure everyonwith snail problems appreciate your heads up.^:)^

7. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Search for any anthelmintic drugs. ASKAMEX is the brand name. So you may find the same Drug in other names at your place.

8. Ricoishere

Ricoishere New Member

Please read the article here: Eliminating terrarium pests - Orchid Board. This might work: CO2 overdose. First remove all fish and desired inverts, for a day, crank up the CO2! next day, remove dead invaders. Short and sweet. Who knows, it might work?

9. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Ricoishere,

I tried your suggested method. What happens frightened me. I killed about 120 snail the next morning. They were all over the place on the leaves of plants on the sides of the aquarium. I did it the next day agin. Another 90 appeared. On the third day the numbers dropped to 10. I have stopped the high CO2. Every mornign I am still killing about 10. Hope the number won't increase again. Those were a round snails but now I spot some trumput snails too. Thanks for your suggestion.^:)^

10. Ricoishere

Ricoishere New Member

Oh, I wasn't aware of the other snails. .

11. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

does it kill trumpet snails too?

12. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Hi Shadow,

Increasing co2 does not kill the round snails or trumpet. It just make them surface from the gravels to the plant leaves and the side of the tank. You just have to kill them by getting them out or crashing them against the side of the tank. For the trumpet snails I burn them with a lighter till they are red hot. So far the numbers seems to have reduced drastically. "Touch wood" I only found 4 yesterday.

Hope this is signs of them eradicated.^:)^

13. Ricoishere

Ricoishere New Member

Hmm, maybe a few Yoyo loaches. But then, loaches are scavengers, and they dig, ...

14. wmsvn

wmsvn New Member

I manually remove all of them over a 2 weeks periods then keep an eye out for the next 2 months and remove any that I saw. I didn't see any of them every since granted that my tank is only 46G.

15. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

wmsvn,

You are one of the lucky ones.

16. EFM

EFM New Member

here is what i have done in order to get rid of undesired snails:

option 1: loaches! ( BE CAREFUL when picking, cause some gets huge sizes!) I have nothing against puffers but are so aggressive so other neighbors

option 2: place a leave of lettuce at night at the next day remove the leave, snails love it, the majority of them... it would not be a solution but it will help you getting rid of invasions.

17. Ricoishere

Ricoishere New Member

I was reading somewhere that Hydroogen peroxide kills snails, and algae, while being relatively safe for most fish. Might want to take a look.

18. puffergurl

puffergurl New Member

Snail Problem

I would say find people with Green Spotted Puffers as we are almost always looking for snails. Your problem may end up benefiting another. If you were in Colorado in the US, I would say that I would take them off your hands, as I'm in the business of looking for snails to feed to my puffers.

19. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Over dose of Flourish Excel or Gluteraldehyde will kill snails and algae both.

20. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Aspiring Aquascaper

And fish/inverts and plants and everything else if you not careful ;)
    Not forgetting its also bad for your health!!