1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

How to get rid of Malaysian Trumpet Snail (MTS)?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by John N., Jan 26, 2010.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I've tried almost everything to get of these Malaysian Trumpet Snails, but unforunately they seem to keep coming back.

[​IMG]
    ASW's Invertpedia Profile - Malaysian Trumpet Snail

Is there a sure fire way to get rid of the Malaysian Trumpet Snails, besides empty the tank and letting it dry out? I actually tried that but apparently I didn't wait long enough, and they came back. :(

Here's what I tried so far:
    • Clown Loaches
    • Hot water boil of substrate, and then let it dry out for two weeks
    • Manual Remove, food reduction
    -John N.

Sponsored link:

2. Cedar&Canvas

Cedar&Canvas New Member

If I'm correct you may be able to get assassin snails it eat the MTS. That said, since MTSs eat detritus from the gravel, a prolific population of these snails often suggests overfeeding or other sources of excess waste in the tank. More over, a couple is not necessarily a bad thing and many ppl use them as part of their "clean up crew."

3. SuperWen

SuperWen New Member

i think you can try some of this method:
    - remove it manually :%3
    - put in some freshwater puffer fish, one of them called "Green Spotted Puffer", this fish is very agressive and love to eat snail and shrimp, as long as it mouth big enough to swallow them
    - make a trap : put couple slice of cucumber, and turn off the lights. in 24hours, snail will be "gather" at the top of it.

4. Eona

Eona New Member

Hi,

making traps oder catch them would be the best I way. Use other fish to eat them may not work each time and the puffers can also be very agressive to other fish and shrimps.
    Do also not use Anentome helena, they will eat all of your snails but they will also have a lot of offspring - so you got another snail problem (of course a beautifulier...).

You can also do that your water is very bad and with a lot of nitrit (if you got no other animals in), the snails will come out of the soil and will climbing the glass so that you can collect them.

LG, Pia

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Reduce your feeding. They only boom when there's surplus food available in the tank. Snails are often a side effect of over feeding.
    Algae is also a food for them, as the tank gets healthier the algae will go and so will the snails.

6. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Assasin snail is all you need ;-)
    good luck

7. SuperWen

SuperWen New Member

but sometimes assasin snail is not effective, unless you have many in your tank

8. Eona

Eona New Member

Hi,

thats what i said:
    >>>Do also not use Anentome helena, they will eat all of your snails but they will also have a lot of offspring - so you got another snail problem (of course a beautifulier...).<<<
    A.helena are "assasin snails" , I´ve bought 3 for my 25l tank because they are so beautiful. Now I have about 60 of them in this little tank and I had take away some before. Also some times they eat no snails and the malaysians are harder to eat than others without a upper shell.

LG, Pia

9. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

I just bought a snail trap and going to assemble tomorrow and see if it works. Will let you know.^:)^

10. Jurijs mit JS

there is one more trick you can do:
    get the water into bad condition and all your snails will move to the surface where you can collect them.

11. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

take out all your fish and shrimps, ups you CO2 all the way. The snail will die but the plants and scape is dave ;).

Found it by accident when why 2years old son play around with the knob when I was in the office. It force me to add lock to the cabinet. Anyway, it worked on ram horn snail and freshwater limpet but not sure on Malaysian trumpet snail.

You can also try those quite dwarf puffer, they are so cute :))

12. Jurijs mit JS

My girlfriend forces me to scape her a tank for such a dwarf puffer .. any idea?

13. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Well the snail trap is not working. Maybe wrong bait. I did not have cucumber or cabbage at home so I put some banana instead but they all climb to the wall of the tank. Maybe they know it is a trap. Will try one more nigt and observe. This time with cucumber which is recomended.^:)^

14. Ricoishere

Ricoishere New Member

evert try copper? It kills all invertebrates!

15. Shadow

You put banana :)))

16. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Yes, Robert. There is no more fresh vegetables at home as I am without a maid for the last 6 months. Have been eating our except for fruits. Don't laugh lah. But it is true.

Anyway will go to the vegetable stall later to get a cucumber and a leaf of cabbage. I^:)^ heard cabbage will work too?

17. Shadow

sorry no ill intended, I was just suddenly think of monkey. Monkey eat banana but honestly I do not know whether snail eat banana or not. I know hermit crap eat banana. I guess thanks to you now we know that it doesn't.

18. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Went and got myself the smallest cucumber available for trapping the snails. Lets hope it will work this time. No, I was not offended at all. Just pitying myself for not having a maid. But I have been promised one on 20th. So hopefully there is someone to switch on and off my aquarium lights check the CO2 and feed my fishes when I am travelling. I really hope she will come by 20th as I will be travelling on 22nd to HKG again. Hope to meet Gary Wu there on the way back from China. By the way all my tiny shrimps (40) of them has been eaten by my fighting fish. I smuggled them from HKG. Hehe^:)^

19. tien13378

tien13378 New Member

You try this shrimp,
    [​IMG]

No feed food they will eat all kind of snail

Hope to help you !

20. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

w
    Well, folks, they snail trap is not working. So don't waste your money next time.^:)^