1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

How to Effectively Position/Aim Powerheads for Max Flow

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by bsnyder921, Jun 20, 2011.

1. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

Hello everyone!

I just ordered a Hydor Koralia Nano 425 from Amazon (only $11, new condition!). I should have it in about a week. I've read some articles and had discussions about the importance of having flow in the aquarium for plants.

[​IMG]

One of the things that it apparently helps with is keeping gunk from settling on the leaves of plants. That's definitely something I've had an issue with. My filter, an AquaClear 70, definitely pulls a lot of water for my 29 gallon - but even with that, a good portion of the aquarium doesn't seem to have much moving water at all. That being said, what's the best way to aim/position the Hydor pump to try to get maximum flow around the tank? Are there any tricks or tips anyone can offer? Such as - should I keep it 'high' in the aquarium and pointing downward? Or keep it low and pointing up? Should I put it right next to the intake of the AquaClear filter and aim it away from the intake? Or put it on the opposite side of the intake and point it towards the intake? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I think it is really tank dependent and depends on the areas where you do not have good flow.

You may have to play around with positioning to find what works best for your setup. Plant density will reduce flow conisiderably. I've seen pumps used high and low, but these kind mostly left high so the cord isn't hanging in the tank too far.

As long as you are getting flow through the tank and leaves are gently moving you should be good to go.

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Complete water circulation and water flow in the tank is an essential quality of a successful planted aquarium.

I would position your new filter on the opposite side of the Aquaclear intake (near a dead spot) or if there is no dead spot you can place it directly near the Aquaclear's outtake flow to ramp up the flow in that particular direction. Positioned high on the aquarium, pointed downward. The point is to increase the overall flow in the aquarium in the same circular direction throughout the aquarium.

This photo is a great representation of what type of flow you want to achieve.

[​IMG]

-John N.