1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

How often the pipes/hose of your external canister filter have to be cleaned!

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by cesar0916, Dec 17, 2008.

1. cesar0916

cesar0916 New Member

How often the pipes/hose of your external canister filter have to be cleaned & how? I just hate the look/smell of those dirty pipes!

please share your ideas....

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

i use this little thing from eheim: aqua-discount

as i now have lilypipes i do clean them allways when they get dirty.

normaly you can do it as often as you want - as more often you do this as better it is because dirty pipes and hoses slow down the waterflow very strong!

The quesiton is: how often do you clean your external filter, i would clean them every time you clean your filter or minimum once per month to garant stronger flow

3. cesar0916

cesar0916 New Member

Thanks Jur4ik,, I appreciate it

4. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

I have been wrapping and tying foam around the intake strainer and it does wonders for keeping the canister and hoses clean for longer periods of time.
    My intake is hidden behind an overflow box so it's not ugly.
    I just pop the foam covered strainer off and rinse it in the sink every 5 days or so.
    I just took my canister apart to clean it after 2 months of doing this and it was a compete waste of time, all my media is clean.

5. Red Crane

Red Crane New Member

Great idea - I will try it today. That's one of those "Why didn't I think of that?"

6. cesar0916

cesar0916 New Member

Wrapping and tying foam around the intake strainer is also useful in aquariums housing fish fry.
    Does it catch solid particles?

7. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

It does catch solid particles, and different foams can catch finer particles or can have a wider pore consistency and not catch the finer particles. Just depends. One of the main reasons I do it is to keep small stem plant leaves etc. from going into the filter, breaking down, and releasing extra phosphates into the water. Additionally, smaller fish sometimes swim into the overflow, and the dumber fish can' figure out how to get back out until I net them out.
    The foam indeed saves them from filter consumption.

8. Jurijs mit JS

again those foams around the filter inlet slow down the flow^^
    i would only use large pore foam, like Al G. Begone said to prevent that small leaves get sucked into the filter or in tanks with fish or shrimp fry.

cleaning once per month the hoses and pipes is less work then to do the same with the foam but every week or even more often.

9. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

I agree. I was initially using those "polishing pads", a very fine pore foam inside my FX5. I was using it on top of the bio media to protect it's fine porous surface to try to maximize it's effectiveness. I removed from the last chamber and improved the flow a great deal because of it. I also now think that with such a great plant volume the bio media is actually not as important as the mechanical aspect of the filter.
    There is so much surface area in a highly planted tank, that as long as you have adequate circulation then your ammonia/nitrate filtration is adequate without having to worry about the bio media in your filter so much. Though I do have it in my filter still, but I am thinking about taking some out to improve the flow even more.

10. Jurijs mit JS

too much bio media is versus productive - because it takes out most of the ferts so you will need to give more ferts into the water ..

11. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

I know that it mainly allows bacteria colonies to develop and break down nitrogenous waste, but did not know it removes ferts.
    I use Seachem Matrix biomedia in the bottom try of my FX5. regarding removal of ferts, how does this happen?

12. Jurijs mit JS

macro ferts are organic .. and "biomedia" reduce organic materia in your water - thats all. the point is that special bio media has a huge surface where lots of filterbacteria take place and do their job. the bad thing is only, that they didnt separate between "good organic stuff" - our macro ferts, and those organic wastes we want to remove .
    some of this biomedia is not bad - usufall in a small filter, but if your filter is big enough and you dont have lots of fisch in a small tank and you do regular wc , then there is no need for this expensive media and it becomes a waste of ferts