1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

How long do you keep your aquascape?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by zeneo, Apr 4, 2008.

?

How long do you keep your aquascape?

1. Just the time to take it finished and go to another one

40 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. At least one year

30 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. It’s a never ending work

85 vote(s)
    39.5%
  4. I'm just starting, don't know for how long yet

60 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. zeneo

zeneo New Member

The title says it all.

Myself its a little a never ending job. But mainly I take great pleasure of seeing a tank grow and therefore things with me take (sometimes) too long. I like to keep my tanks at least for one year, but think that after that it becomes more dificult.

Sponsored link:

2. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

It all depends, if I am feeling it, I will keep it.
    If I am tired of it or became tired with it, slacked off it a bit and it got overgrown or some algae and I don't want to deal with it, then time for a new scape. But I have kept many of them up for more then a year, it is also hard to find time to break them down sometimes as well.

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Great question. I haven't had a true aquascape to be worthy mentioning, but my tanks are often setup under the same "layout scheme" for about a year. Typically I'll end up changing things around because I see a plant or type of layout online that I've always wanted to try.

I suspect many of the more goal oriented aquascapers keep their tanks for less than a year just for a contest and then tear them down to design something new for the next aquascaping competition. Am I right?

-John N.

4. Norbert Sabat

Norbert Sabat New Member

I always made layout to take it finished and go to another one. Right now i have same layout for about 6months and this is like nightmare to me. Many times i wanted remove everything and make something new....but layouts is slowgrower so i must wait, and wait, and wait, and.....this make me sick :%3
    I never have a feel that i must keep layout for long time and 3-4months is good enough ;). Maybe if i have 5-6tanks.....

5. trenac

trenac New Member

It's really a never ending project for me. I usally end up getting bored with a scape before it's time is up. So when I setup a planted tank I never aim for a particle frame of time I want it to be setup for.

6. dougz

dougz New Member

My focus is on a little eco-system that is pleasing to the eye..

I don't want to be breaking it down, just because I'm bored with it..

If I ever do get bored (how can you, with so much maintenance to do, so many fish to enjoy, so much nuance that you can only get from an established tank), I'd rather start a whole other tank..

7. Steve Hampton

Steve Hampton New Member

It is pretty much a never ending project for me. I tend to allow changes to occur and flow naturally until it is too late to save and then I do a major rework, but rarely breakdown a tank/aquascape completely. My low light setups tend to be more long term and more static.

8. ReefJones

ReefJones New Member

x2 ^^^^ with what Steve said except I have never had any low light scapes that turned out right that were worth keeping.
    Reef

9. chillaquaplants

chillaquaplants New Member

Most of my past scapes were based on designs I saw somewhere that I tried to recreate. I found some scapes were just too much maintenance to keep and others just didn't have the look I was going for so they came down within a few months.

It's funny this came up because I plan on rescaping 2 of my tanks this weekend. In one tank, I plan on keeping the same plants but placing them in a different pattern. The other tank will have almost all new plants go in and possibly replace the substrate as well.

10. George Farmer

George Farmer Aspiring Aquascaper

Anything from 18 months to 8 weeks. Depends on plants and set up.

11. blue33

blue33 New Member

Do you guys recycle back the gravel or soil? :-?

12. Maciek

Maciek Aspiring Aquascaper

I keep an aquascape in my 60cm tank for no longer than 3 months usually. That's because in the small tank the aquascape is ready after such period of time, and there is nothing more to do with it. And if I have a new idea I just can't wait to realize it! ;) If I had more tanks (or bigger one) I would probably try to keep one aquascape longer. blue33 I used my Amazonia 3rd time right now - I do nothing with it during the rescape, just shape it ;)

13. MiSo

MiSo New Member

with mine, i'll constantly change things. my scape will stay the same for a few months until i'll say, hey instead of "xx" here, i bet "xx" would look better.
    so the hardscape (i'm using manzanita wood) will stay the same but i'll change a few plants around here and there.

14. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

Most likely to rescape often with small tank but keep larger tanks on a longer leash. The thought of rescaping a 500L is daunting.

15. mujacko2002

mujacko2002 New Member

Mabuhay!

Whenever i would plant trees or plants it is more likely to stay there for as long as i live so just like in my tanks especially big plants like echis, crypts it will stay there for a very long period unless something bad happens to it.

16. CmLaracy

CmLaracy New Member

When making Nature scapes, it's really all about knowing when the scape has peaked, and when it's "done". With proper care this usually takes a little less than 3 months, but there's always exceptions.

17. Leonard

Leonard New Member

I use to rescape mý tanks about every 3rd or 4th month. I maybe see a really nice scape on internet that I want to do a own creation from or I get a nice idea myself that I really cant wait to try, just as John and Maciek says. You sometime also see a specific plant that you want to base your layout from.
    Then I use to change almost all plants and stones. I don't change gravel in a tank until I break it down totally and sell it.

18. zig

zig New Member

Usually move on to the next one pretty quick. By the time it takes one layout to grow out I usually have another idea I want to try. This is how you can end up with several tanks as well, patience is not always a virtue waiting for that aquascape to grow When you can always go out and buy another setup! :-"

19. Mellonman

Mellonman New Member

I can't choose between "Just the time to finish it" and "at least one year" because it sometimes takes me more than one year to have a layout finished... ;)

20. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

The smaller tanks <2ft usually don't last longer than 6 months tops but bigger ones >3ft usually would be kept at least a year to realise as many potential improvements I can make.