1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

How do others perceive your relationship with your hobby?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Supercoley1, Apr 29, 2013.

1. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

My fiance believes that this is just one of my eccentricities, as do my friends. I've found that most people misunderstand exactly what it is that I am interested in, and kind of go 'blank' when I try to explain. As said earlier in the thread, people tend to think of the old goldfish bowl, complete with plastic crap and blue gravel. I don't think they are aware that our hobby exists.. my partner encourages me in the hobby for the most part and enjoys the final result. She is also aware that I am still learning, so understands my commitment to forums etc.

I manage my own budget for the hobby and don't have any conflict with my partner over this. I always wait on spending $$ until my other financial commitments are met. When I first started I probably spoke to my partner in too much detail about what I was trying to achieve, the ins-and-outs of water chemistry etc. If I had my time over I wouldn't do this, as it is 'information overload' for anyone outside the hobby. If I keep it simple she is happy.

Most people outside of my close circle wouldn't know that I am interested in the hobby, but I am happy to share if someone is genuinely interested.

greenfinger 2 likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. Wwh2694

Wwh2694 New Member

Well my friends think that this hobby is nonsense and waste of money. My wife kinda supports me of it but some times gets mad when I take too long cleaning it. I have 2 tanks, 20gal and 90 gal so it takes a several hrs for me to do my Sunday chores. Till...... one.....day..... My small tank was full of expensive plants that my wife didn't know about and I needed to sell it. Right now I sold about $$$$ worth. Showed it to my wife and friends that's this hobby pays from time to time. Now I think that my friends hobby----mountain bike collection is a waste of money lol.

3. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

for me its quite special, two month ago, i wasnt thinking even a bit about having a fish-tank at my dads house, many years ago my dad has been clear about this and answered : NO!

but has i said, about two months ago, my girlfriend who have a fishtank wich i spend money more than her to get it beautiful and a bit more healthy showed me some aquascaping journals from here: ASW.. i was kind of dreaming! those beautiful scapes ! and exotic fishes and plants.. ( by the way, i always had a passion for fish keeping ) so i asked my dad if it would be okay to have a fishtank now that i'm done with highscool and my electromecanic classes, and he anwered : ask your step-mother ........ aww ... i tought she would never say yes, saying that a fisktank is always dirty, smelling bad! , many times she said it would be ugly ! .......
    so finally when asking where i would put my tank, i answered i didnt know at all, so then she told me that a place where it would be okay is the basement... well basement or nothing .... easy choice ! even if the basement is a real basement where you find the wood for the.......... the .... the thing that keep the house warm in winter .. so in fact, a real sometimes dirty basement !

so here i go! yesterday i build myself a custom tank ! Yeah ! tanks of this size can be easily sold 200$ since its not a common size, mine cost me 34$ for the glass and silicone! many ways to be satisfied and save money.

i also told my mom about my project, i knew she would be happy that i decided to start a tank, but i had not expect that she would offer me some $$$ to buy hardware such as filter, and everything else!

next weekend i will go to the one fish store for aquascapers in Quebec, thats sad that here there is not much of aquascapers so i need to drive 1h30 only to get there,

thats it, i think !

ooh i was about to forgot,

when me and my girlfriend will move together,, I'm gonna cook, well.... when she cook, she can burn water!

thanks for the funny thread !

Ohly

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Ohly, This is one of the best :D Love it (y)(y) Best bit :ROFLMAO::cry::eek: Your girlfriend Burns WATER :oops: THINK you better look after the tank ?;):LOL:(y) Cheers roy

5. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

When I first started to get involved in this hobby, I was gung-ho about it. My Mom and my Aunts still think that it is a 'phase' (they are so wrong). As my friends saw the number of tanks increase -to ten- their faces would say "that is very ...interesting/cool" but their eyes badly hid the thoughts of "oh God, what is he up to now?...I wonder if he is taking medications for this?...so weird". My new nick-names are "fish-boy", and "squid-nut" ((I'm in my 50's). My God-kids love it. luckily the good folks at the local fish club know some of the joys of it but most are not so into the plants as I am. That is why this website is so important and valuable. Great minds think alike.

6. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

Just love what I love....that's all i know ;)