1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

How do others perceive your relationship with your hobby?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Supercoley1, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

This appeared on my facebook newsfeed and made me chuckle. Then I thought to myself that it isn't actually that far from the truth :)

[​IMG]

So how far removed from reality is it for you guys?

Does your wife think it's throwing money at the fire? Do your friends find it hard to understand that you love positioning rocks wood plants into an aquarium? Does everyone think you're mad?

Do you think that you're doing more than you actually are? Do we think we are scientists?

Sensible remarks please :)

Yoda, hoeffel-t, Eboeagles and 3 others like this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

I have my hobbies, the wife has hers and we have combined hobbies that way every one is happy.

My other major hobby is Cooking the wife's other major hobby is eating my cooking.

I will not stop cooking nor will she every stop me cooking a perfect arrangement for all.

As far as $$$$ is concerned if we do not have it we cannot spend it no argument on either side.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. Cento

Cento New Member

Well, that pretty much sums it all up, doesn't it? I wouldn't say my wife thinks it's a WASTE, so much as a necessary "distraction" for me to keep sane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. Cento

Cento New Member

Funny... I'm also the cook in out house.. It must be a personality-pattern-type thing... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. Supercoley1

There's something in this. I'm the cook in our house too. The wife does cook some days but out of packets. lol

My wife thinks whenever we are running a little short of money that I've been spending it on the aquatics. Whenever the postman arrives at the door she starts moaning. Doesn't seem to tally the postman arriving with me going to the Post Office when I've sold something to pay for what just arrived. lol

My friends and anyone I meet find it hard to dis-associate shrimps from the foody ones. Any of my wife's friends come round and they suddenly develop an interest too. Always assuming that mine are babies and will grow to food size. lol

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Yesterday postal delivery was a remote Temperature Gauge about $50 for my new BBQ

Today Posty delivers close to $85 of bulbs for the garden I bought.

All comes out of the same bank account.

Keith:):)

7. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

my wife is supportng me all the way with this hobby......i am the one
    who do not want to spend too much money for this hobby that is why
    i have my diy's always in mind before buying anything else.

8. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

My wife spend more than me :(

Most of the spending was for water and electricity bill, the rest are very minimum. Dry fert last forever, CO2 top-up once a year, plant and fish are re-use from previous scape or swap with friend, fish food also another thing that seems to last forever and soil re-use from previous scape.

I guess because my focus different. I like making aquascape, I don't really concern on the science of it. Well, I do like reading the experiment result of other hobbyist but I have no interest in doing the experiment my self.

9. hamza

hamza Aspiring Aquascaper

Thats one of the funniest 'What I actually do' posts I have seen'!

I dont have a wife yet :cool:

My family sometimes think that I am wasting some good space putting these tanks up, they're not much concerned with expenditure though. In the end they seem to be impressed when a scape comes out good.

Whenever I do trips with non-fishy friends, I spend more time collecting hardscape material than having fun with them, so they're annoyed...:D and most of them think I am kind of like a fish-geek. Often to get the conversation going with me they try to talk on topics like flowerhorn/arowanas/parrots and that makes situation worse...

10. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi All , As you know i am new to Aquascaping :) My wife and friends Think i have lost the plot :LOL: But that's nothing new(y)Cherrs roy PS I love to cook to :cool:

11. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi All ,One thing that last tank has got a bit of Algae bloom going on .Cannot see the scape:) Sorry don't like it(n) Think needs to join ASW to get some info on that:D(y)Cheers roy

12. Eboeagles

Eboeagles Aspiring Aquascaper

This is genius and pretty much spot on!

Even the Mrs was laughing.

13. max annand

max annand New Member

i love aquatics. and im the cook. This is a weird relationship

14. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

No one around here has a clue until they come visit my home. I had a few colleagues over a couple weeks ago and they were amazed by the aquascapes, particularly how clean and clear everything is. A lot of folks in the US have the wrong idea of what fish tanks are or can be. They all think of colored gravel, fake plants, dirty glass, and some ugly fish. When they see my couple scapes they usually have a million questions. I'm quite proud of my work when it can turn grown adults into little kids in front of the aquarium.

My wife may think I burn money, but I think she likes to show off the aquascapes, too. Luckily no green water that bad! Although I have had to clear it up once or twice during my years in the hobby.

When I first started using dry ferts I had them spread out on my dining room table with a gram scale and various containers and measuring spoons. I thought for sure someone was going to assume I was selling drugs! haha!

15. Aquadream

Aquadream Aspiring Aquascaper

Well I am actually quite steady in reallity. Others don't think so. But then peeps seem to judge far to often from their narrow minded point of view. So I don't care.
    As for my wife anything that is just for my pleasure is potentially labeled as money at the fire, naturally. It takes time for her to realise that I probably have the natural drive to do beautiful things.
    Fortunatelly my friends are quite ok with my aquatic madness.
    On the back of their head however all think I am mad. After spending so much money no wonder they do.

As for my self. I am yet to catch up with my madness. Got to do way more challenging scapes than the ones I did so far.

Scientist. Hell no. Some dudes definitelly think that about them selves.

I am only a crazy hobbist.:D

16. Supercoley1

This is pretty much like me. And I was one of those people who always thought of fish tanks as dark dingy wierd coloured lighting with dodgy coloured gravel and even worse ornaments. lol.

My problem is that people who see my tanks and see the clear water, see the healthy plants and all of a sudden are talking about what they want to do. I don't like to try and put them off but it is hard to explain that it isn't as simple as setting it up and away you go. Not talking about aquascaping because I am far from talented at that aspect but just trying to explain how hard it is to learn how to get an aquarium to stay that way with healthy plants and no algae. They listen and then continue with what they are 'now' planning to do, lol.

My wife is pretty much along the lines of telling me I spend too much money on this hobby. Basically moans about the time and money and also the fact that they are even in the house. Then her friends or family come around and they instantly head towards the fish tank and all of a sudden she is proud to show it off. lol. I don't know whether the Jeckyll or the Hyde is the true opinion in her mind :)

As for the chemicals. It is very hard to explain that all the chemicals I use are harmless. I am constantly told off for using kitchen spoons, pots etc. It's a tough life but then I can always just sit in front of the tank and watch it to calm down and cheer up :)

17. Aquadream

Aquadream Aspiring Aquascaper

You ain't cookin the flora and fauna from your tanks, r ya?:D

18. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

my friend/s......maybe if its not useful anymore. i guess some flora and fauna are edible.:ROFLMAO:

just making fun here.......defintely this is a nice thread:D

19. hamza

hamza Aspiring Aquascaper

Unfortunately, thats exactly the same case in aquarium hobby here, fish are considered disposable living ornaments. Majority of people tend to have an ugly dark tank with colorful pebbles, toys and very drab looking potentially large commercial/food fish that arent meant to be in fish tank in first place..(n)

20. minicrazy592

minicrazy592 New Member

Well my GF refers to my tanks as "stupid". However she likes my 30-C. We still have disagreements on the placement of the tank. I like them in the study so I can watch them at the desk. She likes them in the dining room or living room which is fine, but is FULL OF BRIGHT WINDOWS. I don't like to fight algae blooms thanks.