1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hoping to receive some tips on my tank [image attached]

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Rhexis07, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Rhexis07

Rhexis07 New Member

I am absolutely new to the whole fish-keeping aqua scaping thing. I would say I just started learning for 1 week.

My tank is pretty small. Only 40x19x26.

Right now I have 6 tetra, 4 cardinal tetra, 4 lamp eye and 3 pink danio. I may have overcrowded my tank a little.

I am also going to get a couple of cherry shrimps. Have read that they can go with my tetra. I initially bought 10. Unfortunately 9 of them died because of my lack of knowledge which I feel awful about. Every time I scooped those that died I said a little sorry to them. I honestly felt terrible. My mistake was that I didn't let the water mature and I did a full tank change when I was doing scaping.

Anyway, I have attached my picture.

I am however, thinking of changing the plants on the right to a couple of moss rocks so my shrimps have something better to eat. I have tied a couple of Java Moss onto my log (poorly done.....). Hopefully they still attach well. Otherwise I am looking to change that as well.

I do have 1 very important question that I want to ask. If I do plan to re-scape my entire tank next week, can I re-use the water that I have drained from the tank? Last thing I want is to do another full tank change and risk my fishes all dying.

I have no CO2 and cooler, mainly because my area water is always at about 25-27 degree since we only have 1 season in Singapore, and my area is really cool.

Thanks for any comments, and I hope to learn more as time passes. :)

[​IMG]

2. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

Are the right side plants aquatic?

There's no need to save the water. It's probably better to use fresh water for water changes.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Rhexis

[​IMG]

Welcome to ASW

For a beginner this is a simple yet a nice looking tank but and a big but the RH end is wrong and not pleasant to look at.

The plants are not aquatic they are garden/indoor plants depending on your climate.

The rocks look out of place, they do not match or blend into the LH side.

I suggest you take every thing out on the RH and have a good think of what can be used.

What ever you do, do not buy or try to fix it up yet, do a lot of research here on ASW first and then discuss your ideas.

Over stocking http://www.aqadvisor.com/ this is a very good link remembering it is only a guide.

Shrimps http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/articles/dwarf-shrimp-compatibility-chart.php
    This will help you with the shrimps.

Keith:):)

sushant likes this.
  4. Rhexis07

Rhexis07 New Member

Hi Solcielo, thanks for the comment. Honestly, I have no idea. I just bought them because I had an idea that my right side of the tank to be like a mini garden. Didn't turn out very well. And you are right, I just realized that they are not aquatic plants.

It's actually not about saving water, but because I don't want to re-run my filter on my water again. The last time I did a full tank change my shrimps all died, which was really sad.

Thank you Keith so much for your quick response and tips.

When you use the term RH, I assume you mean the right hand side right?

I agree with that too. I do want to revamp my right side. I do really like my log with the plants on it especially when I turn on my blue led lights and the tip of the plant actually glows a little. But I kind of destroyed a couple of it's ends after taking out and putting it back in again. So...I may want to re-do that again.

And yes, it seems I am over-stocking my fish tank by quite a bit, which seems a little worrying now..

I plan to change the back of my left side to some Java Ferns as well. Maybe some moss rocks on the right. The stones were initially supposed to be a path, but because I kept moving them it started to go out of place. :( It is really hard to move stuffs around the soil once the water has been placed in it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  5. keithgh

Rhexis

RH means Right Hand
    [​IMG]

With a little help from Photoshop I stretched your hardscape and plants to the full length of your tank.

You might consider getting more hardscape (wood/rocks) plus a few more of the same plants and it could be a simple yet a very nice tank.

When moving bits and pieces turn off all water movement while moving and turn it back on immediately you finish only a short period of time would not hurt the tank at all.

6. Rhexis07

Rhexis07 New Member

Hi Keith. That's very nice of you in taking time to actually photoshop my tank. Haha.

I have updated my tank a little. Took out the non aquatic plant and made changes to my LH plant. The previous one was really hard to maintain and I'm afraid of my shrimps getting stuck inside of it. I changed my RH to a christmas moss covered husk. Hopefully this works better.

Overall I'm not very happy with the entire tank's layout. Something is still very bare. It's just soil at the base. I have no idea where else I can put rocks / hard wood anymore as there isn't much space left.

I have also pasted a black background which looks pretty good. Except I now have a much harder time looking for that last surviving shrimp.

I am just hoping right now my last shrimp survives this change for a week to prove that my water is ready.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  7. Jack

Jack Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi @Rhexis07 , Welcome and you have checked in to ASW,the right place. Not at the right time, but not too late too. And of-course, you have done the typical starter's mistake, like me and most others... to dive in before u learn to swim. I guess , your idea of re-scaping will work out better to give that satisfaction which you are starving of. But as very well said by @keithgh, pls do your research first, secondly plan out, what you want and how you want your tank to be and so on.. Select the plants as per your requirements. So many styles of aquascaping, so much of good information here.Make use of it all... My wishes...

lucasgg, keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  8. keithgh

Alex

Its very hard to see exactly what you have done at the moment all the plants seem to be floating on some form of grate because of reflections and a milky glare.

9. sushant

sushant Aspiring Aquascaper

I just love the left side of the tank, tank would have looked much better with only carpet plant on the right.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

10. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

For your 1st aquarium, you have done well. My first was a ½ inch gravel, Under Gravel Filter, algae every where mistake. I was about 12, a little too young to handle the responsibility of an aquarium.
    1. You have done well to put in aquatic plants 1st. They will use any extra nutrients so the algae doesn't get a chance to explode.
    2. I lost many fish on my first try. I'm sure we all have. It's part of the learning process.
    3. Question: What substrate/gravel are you using?
    4. Detail your lighting setup if you don't mind