1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hobby Burn Out & Quitting

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Crispino Ramos, Sep 21, 2010.

1. anda

anda New Member

I said "relatively cheap" and I meant for a low tech tank. It seems like low tech is out of the question nowadays but if you look at a brand new complete low tech kit, it is inexpensive compared to a high tech system. Even cheaper if used.

I had tanks that cost me under 50$ including plants trimmings I got from friends, rock and driftwood I collected, etc. One does not need all the gadgetry to have fun in the hobby. But it seems like newcomers now choose to go for the high tech setup because it's more attractive and, when reading all the info on the net, it seems like the only way to succeed.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against high tech, I have it myself. My point is that rushing directly into such setups can have a big financial impact which can be a cause for quitting, when one can start slow, with (relatively ;)) minimal investment and grow from there.

Sponsored link:

2. tenshu

tenshu New Member

Depends what you describe as low tech.
    I'm not sure i would recommend to start with low light and no filtration.

3. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't suggest no filtration but nor would the Walstad method. That method (I asume you are referring to this asyou mention no filter) uses medium lighting as was in the day. More in the 3WPG region which these days we are starting to call high light.

I would always suggest to a user to start with low light though.

IMO a low tech tank is very very cheap. Buy a second hand setup off ebay. Tank, filter, heater. You can get any number of tanks cheap becuse no one wants to collect so you can get a 125 ltr one for £10 if you watch the 'collect only' sales in your area.

The plants will be the more expensive part but even then you can get bargain packs off ebay and throw away the rubbish in them.

Put in garden soil or bag of compost for substrate and add fish. Job done. That is a low tech tank (with filter).

IMO a tank becomes hi-tec the moment you add fertilisation or CO2 (by any method of injection.)

Its the 'method that is hi tec not the equipment used. So just adding CO2 via yeast in my eyes becomes hi tec because you've added to the basics.

AC

4. tenshu

tenshu New Member

Woah 10 pounds for 125 ltrs! That's really cheap, even here where fishes are the first owned pet before dogs and cats, you can't find so low prices.

5. Supercoley1

An example finishes in less than a day The seller thinks it si 50litres but it is 3ft long????:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3ft-50-ltr-Aq...1?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3cb127520d

The UK is very lazy and ebayers even more so. They want everything shipped to their door. Many bargains to be had if it is a 'collection only' item. Even more so if it is not in a big city :)

I picked up my 125Ltr four years ago for £75 with filter, lights, heater, gravel, everything. Got home put the 7 containers of water back in and turned it all on :)

Anyway way off topic now. Back to burn out.

After mastering pressurised turbo speed, getting bored and moving to non CO2, no maintenance whilst unmotivated I then became motivated to get this method right and mastered that method too. Then the last few weeks I have been getting very bored again.

I didn't want to return to pressurised. Been there done that no challenge and so I am now on the good old yeast CO2. I never mastered this the first time round and so it gives me a new challenge. No idea what I will move to if I do master the yeast.

When I say master above I mean getting the tank working with no algae problems and pretty lush plants whilst scaping (in my own way.) So from my memories of yeast previously this may well be harder to crack and therefore keep my mind occupied and stimulated for longer.

Maybe for those that get past the initial failure and algae onset, these changes in method are needed from time to time just to stop the monotony of everything going so well. Even at turbo speed a scape takes time to grow in and therefore with just the artistic side of things to deal with it kinda gets boring IME.

AC

6. anda

anda New Member

Very interesting thread...

That's what I am talking about... it's possible to get into the hobby without making a huge dent in your finances...

The other thing to consider (and I am not judging anyone here ;)):

Some people get into the hobby, in great part, for the challenge and the techno aspect. How many have a real interest in plants and gardening and living things?

The challenge part is very motivating but if it's the only thing keeping someone in the hobby, I can understand why some quit when this motivation is gone.

Again, I am not judging but it seems to me that this is the case for some. Is it the challenge of growing this and that plant that is interesting or the plant itself?

7. Supercoley1

Ermmmm.......then I spent £1500 turning it hi-tec. Not all needed of course. This was money spent on all the mistakes, trying to buy cheap, buying the wrong things etc. however with what I know now I would've still had to spend circa £600. That is a lot of investment even without the other £900 of waste!!!

As for the other comment. I consider myself a gardener more than an aquascaper. Yes I like to scape and do so i my own way but it is the technicalities of groeing the plants, balancing things, knowing what is happening without being a science boffin etc. Light is something I spent 2 years researching, theorising, researching again etc. I want to know and I want to know more.

However there is only so far you can go. You learn to grow plants, you master it. What next? Put a different plant in and after a month say, yes that one grows too?

That is where I lose interest. I guess once I first mastered the growing part that is when I started getting really interested in why does this work, How does this work, What else can work, What can I improve etc. The technicalities :)

I guess I'm off on that route because I am not particularly interested in short term scapes, not interested in rescaping particularly. Just having A scape and trialling different things and learning lots about the detail.

On another forum I am well known for comparing myself to the robot...Johnny No5. Why? Because through the film he is always saying 'need more data' lol.

I do enjoy my fish and plants but the interest comes and goes. However new subjects always regain my interest albeit not in the actual aquascaping side of things :)

I guess all I've done really was to start, upgrade to really hi-tec and then say how low can I get and keep it running :) Now I'm saying OK I can run this really low with good results. Can I actually run it hi-tec (not techno tec) the bargain basement way I once failed on :)

AC

8. arjundogra

arjundogra New Member

Its been a couple of years since i have been in the hobby and like most of us i started setting up a lot of tanks in the beginning. once a scape had completed 4 to 5 month i wanted to change it because i wanted to see something new, i was spending endless amounts of time and money. never realizing that i was not giving enough attention at home and my wife felt very bad.

There was a point that i realized that my planted tanks hobby was actually having a negative effect rather than me enjoying my tank i was constantly thinking of changing and improving my scape and looking at these flawless aquascapes on the web made it really difficult.

At present i have one tank which is a moss and fern tank i costed me around 2000$US to set mainly due to the chiller as i live in chennai, south of India and it gets pretty hot here. I completely enjoy my tank now except the weekly water changes and dosing i dont have to touch it, as i have no stems it requires almost no pruning. I think the hobby itself is great it gives you great satisfaction and pride but we tend to over do it and this differs from individual to individual and we need to strike a balance to enjoy this wonderful hobby.

Arjun Dogra

9. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos New Member

Well said Arjun, now just add some neocaridinas and later, a few caridinas so they don't interbreed. And maybe, pamper them with some special food - give them a variety of shrimp food so they don't get tired of the same meal. Aside from shrimp food, mix some mineral additives after water changes and a weekly feeding of Mosura BioPlus or Shirakura baby shrimp food.

10. tenshu

tenshu New Member

Sorry, but bold italic blue is really painful to read Crispino Ramos.

11. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos New Member

Excusez-moi, tenshu. <):)