1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hitchhiking Crayfish...??

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Cento, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Cento

Cento New Member

So, I setup my first planted tank yesterday, and after planting, right away I noticed 2 tiny blue crayfish swimming around (wasn't terribly surprised, seeing how there were 1 or 2 big ones in the tank I bought the plants form). Now, I noticed that one of them is always carrying the other around. This "other" one, doesn't look so alive anymore... is he now food??

So, good or bad? I was hoping to eventually start setting this up as a SA biotope or a natural tank Amano-style... Are they worth something? How long before they're selling size? Are they hard to look after? :-s

Any input would be greatly appreciated... thanks!:ehhh:

2. Big Dog

Big Dog New Member

They should be a few inchs in length. Once they start getting bigger they will tear up your plant aquarium. My little fellow sure did.

3. Cento

Cento New Member

ooohh... hmm.. well, this is teeny tiny. Like, 1/8"..... So... are my eyes deceived and its a water bug??:-s

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

as a general rule its a good idea to wash plants before placing them in your tank to avoid more pesky hitchhikers. For example, I had several dragonfly nymphs hitchhike and they ate many of my shrimp, some small fish before I even knew they were in there. I had to rescape in order to find them all. I now use Potassium permanent solution to wash my plants prior to putting them in the tank.

ps. moderators, i believe luspin is a "bot" for advertising, not an actual person.

5. addo

addo New Member

Do they have pincher's? It could be shrimp.