1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hi, nooby here

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by steved1403, Mar 8, 2014.

1. steved1403

steved1403 New Member

Hi, my names Steve and I currently have 3 tanks, a aqua one ar980 215ltr (community tank) a custome 21/2ft dwarf puffer tank and a 2ft cube fry tank. I'm a total noob when it comes to aqua scaping and I pretty much change my tank around every couple of weeks. This is currently the look of my 215ltr tank
    [​IMG]
    Any advice or constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated thanks

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Steve, Welcome to ASW :) I see you like rocks:D You have some great ones there (y) Are you using sand as a substrate ? And sand in the Cube? Plants will not grow well in a sand substrate :( Have a look around the forums lots of info and ideas (y)

keithgh likes this.
  3. steved1403

steved1403 New Member

Haha yeah I love rocks, my stepfather works over a sand quarry so brings me some regularly. I have bags full!
    Yeah sand in both tank and cube, ahh I was informed sand was better than gravel. Not too fussed about plants growing in the cube, that's just for fry,

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Steved

Can you fill in your location and country please.

Rocks other than all the weight you have on the bottom of the tank all those rocks take up a lot of your actual water capacity, I think you could easily be 20-30% less water and that is a lot of water when it comes to adding additives to your tank especially medications and inhabitants.

Sand is certainly not the best when it comes to growing rooted plants as it can crush the fine roots of the plant.

I would be recalculation you actual capacity then make sure you do not over populate with fish.

Keith:):)

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hi Steve, welcome to ASW!

I think the large stones press too closely to the front of the tank. Try to build a tier of stones, but leave some foreground space. The hardscape is a bit overwhelming at the moment and you could probably do more with less.

Personally I'm not too concerned with the sand. Depends upon what you are trying to grow. I've seen tanks with Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC) grown in sand. While not ideal, you can grow most things in sand as long as you are meeting their needs.

Next time you go about rearranging start a journal, I'm sure the community would be glad to help you arrange your stones, select plants, etc.

keithgh likes this.
  6. steved1403

steved1403 New Member

Hi thanks for the replies, I lost my phone so didn't have tapatalk, never got round to installing it again.

This is my tank now. [​IMG]

Hopefully it's an improvement on last time. I am still yet to have a death or any problems with ammonia or disease.....touch wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

steved

A very nice tank you have there but I still notice the sand, be prepared to loose all those rooted plants as the sand can crush their roots.

Keith:):)