1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hi from New Jersey

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Bombadil, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Bombadil

Bombadil New Member

I came across this forum by looking up aquascaping forums on bing and this looked like a good place to get started. I'm brand new to aquascaping, I've attempted it once in a ten gallon tank with some very underwhelming results. I'm about to attempt it a second time with a new 30 gallon tank shipping in on Monday, hopefully I end up with an actual aquascape this time instead of a standard planted aquarium.

I'm planning on taking photos every step of the way and making a thread documenting either my progress or failures. Should be fun!

ShadowMac likes this.
  2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ASW! We are glad to have you and hope to help you on your journey.

Check out the brand new beginners section, maybe start a thread to share your goals and the equipment you plan to run. Then start a journal of your tank.

John N. and Bombadil like this.
  3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Welcome!

-John N.

4. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

Welcome. Definitely, please let us know your goals. It would help if you could post a picture of an aquascape you liked so we are on the same page and give you appropriate advice. Are you ready to do weekly plant trimmings or do you want a tank that requires monthly plant trimmings? How much time are you willing to put in?

-Orlando

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    ShadowMac likes this.
  5. Bombadil

Bombadil New Member

Thanks for the friendly welcome! My goal is to create a nature landscape with a large tree using driftwood and seiryu stones. I'd love to have vibrant greens on a bright gray background with minimal color variance, maybe just a tinge of blue in the stones and the background. I'm not positive what brand of light I'm using (still waiting for it to ship in) but I know the color is 6500k, I'm hoping that will make what few colors I'll use really pop. The overall theme if executed properly will hopefully be an old tree in a stony field.

I love the tree, background and carpet from this photo, I'm not able to link the URL yet but it came from the 'Aquascape of the Month: September 2008 "Pinheiro Manso"' thread. My ideal aquascape would have a similar tree on a smaller scale with taller silver stones poking through the carpet.

[​IMG]

I LOVE the carpet and the stones from this photo as well. If I could combine these two aquascapes I'd be a very happy camper.

[​IMG]

Edit: As far as maintenance goes, weekly trimmings are fine. Maybe in another 2 years I might get tired of it but for now I'm very excited to get into this, maintenance and all. Also I was thinking of having neon or cardinal tetras and red cherry shrimp in the tank as well.

ShadowMac likes this.
  6. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

Both beautiful scapes. You have a good eye. Problem is although both seem simple (and therein lies the appeal), they are technically complex. They both have low plant mass, meaning are more susceptible to algae. If you could combine these two but compromise with the addition of stem plants, you would have a better chance of initial success. See this video to see what I mean: http://www.aquascapingworld.com/thr...ted-aquarium-systems-design-and-control.9860/

And from some of our esteemed forum member's podcast: "The case against Iwagumi for Beginners": http://aquascapingpodcast.com/episode10

-Orlando

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    ShadowMac and Bombadil like this.
  7. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Bombadil

Welcome to ASW, you have set your standards very high starting at that level. I would class both as "Keep It Simple" "KIS," "Less is best and more is less" and, "If its not required leave it out."

Once you learn and practice those you are well on the way to become a very good Aquascaper.

The first step would be open a Journal by doing that its very easy to follow and go back and check where a problem could have started if necessary.

Keith:cat::cat:

8. Bombadil

Bombadil New Member

That's exactly what I'm going for, hopefully I can actually execute it. Deceptively (or treacherously) simple.

Indeed, I wasn't considering algae along with the design of the landscape itself. Thanks for that link! Gives me some more to consider when I'm designing the tank.

I'll definitely be keeping a journal, if I'm lucky I'll only need it for sentimental value. If. haha

9. keithgh

Bombadil

You are well on the way already once you understand the basics every thing follows plus there is far less chance of making mistakes.

Bombadil likes this.
  10. ShadowMac

You are off to a good start. You have a plan and seem willing to put the effort into executing it.

@Orlandog7 , thanks for the shout out ;)

Start a journal. Couple things to know right off the bat. 1) The tanks you are referencing both most likely use pressurized CO2. The tree medium to low light, the stones most likely high light. So, the biggest dictating factor will be are you planning to get a CO2 system. 2) what kind of light. Don't over do it. You can get both scapes with less light than you would think.

11. Bombadil

Bombadil New Member

As far as a CO2 system if I need one I'll get one, I might have to delay doing so for a couple weeks though depending on the cost. The light I think is going to be brighter than average, the owner at the local pet store here said I'd probably need a brighter one when I told him I might be planting dwarf hairgrass. Hopefully I wont be overdoing it on the light but I'll find out on Monday.

I was thinking of getting a bag of river rocks from Home Depot to put under the substrate to shape it, would that work well or is there a better option I should consider?

12. ShadowMac

LFS strikes again! A good rule of thumb is add CO2 then more light...don't increase light beyond low light levels otherwise. Lots of folks think its all about light. It isn't. I recommend Greenleaf Aquariums regulators for a one stop complete reg. You can get cheaper ones, but they won't be as reliable and won't have the support GLA provides.

There is a low light non CO2 hairgrass. Low light and non CO2 is more about selecting the right plants. Eleocharis parvula will grow in low tech conditions, however getting dense carpets generally require more light, good flow, and CO2.

I wouldn't do the river rock. It won't remain separated. If you are looking to boost a hill you can place small gravel/river stones inside a nylon panty hose and use that as a base. It will keep things from mixing with a good planting substrate (ADA aquasoil is my recommendation). Neither of the scapes you showed would need something like this to build up the slopes however. Just enough soil to get the depth.

A DSM (dry start method) with the carpeting plants is a good way to get the plants growing so that they hold the soil in place once the tank is flooded.

Bombadil likes this.
  13. Bombadil

Bombadil New Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll check out DSM now, I checked the CO2 regulators and they're out of my price range for now. In another month or two I should be able to grab one though. I'll get some extra soil to play it safe and drop the river stone idea. Looks like that Eleocharis parvula is available on amazon so I'll probably end up getting that unless there's a better plant I could get for some carpeting.

14. ShadowMac

not in a non CO2 setup. The moss tree with a carpet of E. parvula is a good bet for the setup. The only concern I have at this point is that this "bright" light your LFS sold you will be too much light without CO2. If you can let us know the brand and model we would be able to say. If you have the option, choose something with a dimming feature. It will allow you to dim it down while you don't have CO2, then turn it up once you do.

15. ShadowMac

Christmas moss would be a good option for your tree. Lots of folks use java moss too, but its raggedy and messy in my opinion.

16. Bombadil

Bombadil New Member

Alright, I just called the store and the light fixture that is coming in is a Deep Blue 36 inch high output lamp with a 39 watt 6500k bulb & 10,000k bulb. I really like the look of that Christmas moss, I'll see if I can pick some up at some point soon, if not I'll start with Java moss and make the switch once I'm able to.

Edit: While I didn't get a specific model number it looks like it's the 36" Solarmax Double T5 Lighting System but I'm still researching.

keithgh likes this.
  17. keithgh

Bombadil

Quality research is strongly advised when looking for new equipment.

My only advise is pay a little extra and buy a quality unit but before you buy ask about the unit/s you are interested in.

18. Bombadil

Bombadil New Member

I started my journal! Bearing in mind that I'm still super early in the process of making my aquascape, here it is.
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/my-first-aquascape.10918/

Thanks everyone for helping me to get started and for such a friendly greeting! I'll still get notifications for this thread but I'm planning on making the journal my main thread going forward.

19. keithgh

Bombadil

You are off to a good start by making a Journal now we can start assisting you and keeping you on the correct path in enjoying Aquascaping and ASW.

Bombadil likes this.