1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hi from Eire

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by mrjackdempsey, Jun 30, 2010.

1. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

That's good news about led lights and I am part of irish fish forum
    Irish Fish Forum • Irish Freshwater and Marine Aquarium and Fish Keeping Website and Forums and we are looking into l.e.d. lights as a d.i.y. project.If you get a chance say hello on the site, great class of lads and lassies on the site.Never realized that fish keeping would give me the chance to talk to people across the globe.All of you please look after yourselves and those close to you.There's so much on this site that I don't know where to start but want to start now.Regarding the design of the tank do you plan it on paper or play it by ear?

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

sorry, what does it mean to play something by ear?

I usualy have an idea in my head and when i got the right hardscape, I just start to play with it. When I think - that´s it, I let it be and wait if I´m still the same opinion after a couple of days..

3. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

Playing it by ear means making it up as you go along-maybe putting the hard scape in first and checking which looks best without a plan first.I know some people have everything planned out when they do something whereas others seem to things without a formal plan .:daydream: Creative ideas come to different people in different ways and was interested how the majority think

4. Jurijs mit JS

thanks,
    I do some sketches to store ideas, imo if you do a perfect sketch - it doesnt mean you can do a perfect scape. try to find 1:1 hardscape material, impossible
    plants will never grow the same way you have drawn them ...
    just play by ear ;)

5. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

'Just play by ear'-brilliant, very quick :=D> will start soon just got six more tanks today as the LFS has closed and asked did I want them-silly question!!!!Have plants growing on in some tanks getting ready to go but hard to get started due to work commitments and must work again this weekend so no fun for awhile yet!!!!Wedding anniversary coming up soon (20 years) ,then will start on the tank.

6. Jurijs mit JS

you´ll be busy :))
    Wish something similar will happen to me - "Do you want some ADA stuff for free?" - "oh, yes, why not :p "

7. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

I have a face that people feel sorry for :Toofunny: It's great until I look into a mirror then not so happy,haven't told my dear wife yet because she'll kill me.Hid them in the garden until I can find a good home for them.Have a friend who is a horticulturist and he makes his own substrate from Irish moss peat and fish friendly fertilizer and his plants are amazing,his swords are breathe-taking, really green.He is going to show me how he makes it and I pass it on to you,lasted over 3 years so far still with strong growth and has never used liquid fertilizer so far

8. Jurijs mit JS

always tricky :))
    IMO all fertilized soils loose nutrients and after a year or so, there is not as much as at the beginning. However, I believe it is cheap enough to mix it new each rescape.

9. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

Would you break down tanks often or keep them going for ages?With some of the tanks here I couldn't face the prospect of breaking them down, they are too nice :%3 To see one in the flesh would be even nicer,rather than the memory but I suppose on to bigger and better things!

10. Jurijs mit JS

I can only keep few tanks, so I tend to tear them down after 1-1/2 year
    the small ones even more frequent. the current one (120x60x60) was set up for a long term but just after 6 months I´m tired and bored, I already started to sale plants and to buy new ones for some changes. Plants look quality but they doesn't match together well.
    Hope to improve things with smart repair and not to rescape the hole tank. Maybe the problem is, that this is my only running tank at the moment, it looks like a LFS with tons of empty tanks.

11. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

At least your tanks have water,mine are mostly empty and sitting in the garden!!!Have you got your tank(s) on this forum and if yes can you post the thread as I'm really dying to see them.Thanks in advance
    Dave

12. Jurijs mit JS

13. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

Thank you Ju4ik For showing me your tank, it is really jaw dropping beautiful, anything I will do will pale in comparison,love the way you lads can plant and yet see the finished product in your head whereas I would try to finish it as I plant it but would destroy it in the long term-patience is needed. Again well done