1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hi from Eire

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by mrjackdempsey, Jun 30, 2010.

1. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

Hi all,

my name is Dave and I come from the green isle of Ireland and haven't as of yet set up a planted tank as such but all my tanks are full of plants.I'm here to learn as much as possible before the next venture begins so will ask many questions and I'm afraid some may sound silly as I'm a novice with even the idea of planted tanks .Looking forward to talking to you all soon.

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Hi Dave, welcome to ASW :hi:
    feel free to ask as many questions as you need to ;)
    Try to reed many journals to figure out how things work and how to avoid mistakes

how many tanks do you actually have?

3. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

:welcome: Dave. Happy that more aquascapers are joining this site. I know why. It is the best.^:)^

4. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

At the moment have 6 tanks running and about 10 waiting to go.Most are small ( about 90 - 100 litres) going up to some 5 foot tanks for cichlids etc. Really want to expand knowledge about plants and some of the tanks on this site are awe inspiring,really want a work of living art in the front room

5. Jurijs mit JS

wow, you have so many tanks :%3
    Must be a pain to maintain them all, isn´t it?

6. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

Can be a pain but the biggest pain is listening to my good lady complain that there's no room in the house because of tanks everywhere........poor dear:-":-"

7. Jurijs mit JS

haha :)) I believe this is a part of our hobby ;)

8. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

What? The tanks or the nagging?Seriously must build a fish house/shed as the house does look like a public aquarium but can't charge visitors entry fee:celebrate:

9. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Tell you dear wife the tanks are keeping you away from trouble. You stay at home all the time instead of going the Pub for drinks.^:)^

10. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

Can't honestly say that the tanks are keeping me out of trouble as a 400 litre tank broke upstairs and the water came through the ceiling destroying hall carpet, living room wooden floor,ceiling,2 leather sofas about 18 months back.Now no tanks upstairs!!!!!!!!!:-?

11. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Sorry to hear about your broken tank. You have too many tanks and no more space to keep them I suppose. Keep wetting your hands and enjoy.^:)^

12. Jurijs mit JS

The nagging,
    but my girlfriend is same opinion as Chuntc said before and as long as spend more time with her everything is fine. Got her involved with a small 10liter desktop nano :p

I have a special insurance for such cases, luckily - 60 liter tank had a leak and we live in a flat..

13. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

The funny thing is my dear wife WAS the one who introduced me to fish keeping as her family kept fish years ago.She really likes the tanks especially the tank that pearls in the kitchen but acts the martyr when she wants something for herself.Am planning to build a shed to use as a fish house has it will be easier all round and keep just two in the house-the planted tank( not yet done but plenty of inspiration here) and the central american cichlid.
    I would like to thank all for your welcome and may alll your tanks be as you envisage them :daydream:
    Take care

14. Jurijs mit JS

Dont forget to share some photos with us ;)

15. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

Will do after 2 things; No.1 find out how to post pics &
    No.2 plant that tank!
    Got the tank,co2 set up (fire extinguisher plus regulator) and thinking about diy reactor,riccia growing in another tank ,in fact buckets of the stuff, silica sand,plenty of rocks and here in Ireland plenty of bog wood as bogs everywhere thanks to all our rain. Just got a second hand Arcadia light with 4 T5 bulbs but marine so must get bulbs suited to plants.In fact could do with some help here as to the best bulb to suit the light unit and good for growing plants ( the bulbs are rated at 54w).Plant selection isn't great in this neck of the woods but will try to hunt out something interesting 8)

16. Nenad

Nenad New Member

Welcome to ASW mrjackdempsey!
    I don`t think you should change that bulbs, even if they are for marine aquarium. Corals have similar but higher requirements of light, so if those bulbs can suit them, no need to say what kind of job they will do for the plants. :)
    I know some people who use older (than 6 - 8 months) marine t5 bulbs, after they were used in a coral reef tank, and they are quite satisfied.

17. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

That would be great if I can use them as money is tight at the moment I have T5 plant bulbs in another tank(arcadia bulbs 80w *6 in a Betta light unit)and I'm finding that brilliant for making the plants pearl and got some plants growing on at the moment but with Jack Dempseys,Salvini's etc. not ideal for a planted tank as they go through rather than around breaking leaves.I have a 5 foot tank for them not set up but have no room for it so has to wait.Might try the internet to get some plants but as a old fossil am wary of it.:%3

18. Jurijs mit JS

IMO wrong way to save money, T5 54watt are available on the internet for 5€ per bulb.
    Wrong bulbs can cause algae..

19. mrjackdempsey

mrjackdempsey New Member

I thought as much and don't want algae as just finished combating black beard algae in one of the tanks using easi carb.Must look into suitable fish for a planted tank,really like rummynoses but must check others out.Was told in my local fish club that the Jack Dempsey would destroy my plants but after 3 years he acting like a right gent.As a side note are there any here using led lights in the planted tank and how do they compare with T5's.Here comes my stupid questions!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

20. Jurijs mit JS

LED ist great, consumes less electricity and looks great - but you have to DIY, because shop solutions are very expansive