1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hi from Australia

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Seabiped, May 21, 2016.

1. Seabiped

Seabiped New Member

Greetings all, just new to this site and hope to share and gain some knowledge in this amazing hobby! I am planning to pull down my current tank and rescape, hopefully having a few more open spaces where I can actually see the fish! I've noticed that in the tanks that have an amazing sense of depth the substrate is quite high at the back , almost 2/3 in height of the tank. Anyone have any insights or tricks etc to creating this? Once I'm organised I'll post my journey with the new scape. My current tank is a 4x2x2 Cade. Looks like a great site to share and learn. Will post some pics soon from tanks I've set up in the past.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to ASW!

If the substrate has a particularly steep slope there are several methods used to keep it upright. 1) stones and hardscape serve as a barrier. 2) plastic substrate supports/barriers are used in places where the substrate may slip. Old gift cards/credit cards work well. You can also get similar plastic and cut to size. 3) if the scape will use many dense low growing species of plants like hair grass or hemianthus callitrichoides (HC) a dry start method is used to allow the plants to root in before adding water. The plant roots help maintain the slope.

Start a journal of your new build and we'll be glad to help you along.

3. Seabiped

Seabiped New Member

Thanks ShadowMac, I'm looking forward to getting started on my new scape but it wont be for another 5 weeks or so as I will have some time off work. This will also give me enough time to really think through what I want to achieve etc. Thanks for the tips I'll research these ideas more thoroughly.

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. Dantrasy

Dantrasy New Member

Soil compresses over time and the height of your rocks drops. You need rocks or tiles under the soil to stop it compressing too much.

If you want height at the back/sides I suggest creating a hardscape in your tank before adding any soil. Creating a free standing hardscape can be a lot of fun. Try to image the hardscape after soil is added.

Seabiped and ShadowMac like this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Seabiped

Welcome to ASW three Aussie replies I cannot remember if this has every happened previously, will you fill in your location please I am 75klm south of Melb.

[​IMG]

As you can see there are plenty of tricks here for you to learn, here is another one for you, make up a box with a plastic front the size of your tank and by doing that you can get every thing right with our help long before you actually start working in the tank.

The substrate can be cheap sand from a garden supplier even old potting soil works.

Keith:cat::cat:

Seabiped likes this.
  6. Dantrasy

Dantrasy New Member

Keith's box suggesting is brilliant. It's the best thing you can do to practice.

Alternatively, you could tape up a cardboard box, or get an old towel and tape a square the size of your tank foot print.

Like Keith I recommend creating your scape out of the tank first - I've done this half a dozen times. Less stress, more fun this way imo.

Seabiped and keithgh like this.
  7. keithgh

Dantrasy

Its so simple to do and it works every time.

8. Seabiped

Seabiped New Member

Hi Keith...I think I have filled in my location correctly?? Also thanks for the tip, I have done the box technique before but only cardboard, I think having the rocks as stable as possible is the key , building them up from the bottom of the tank and filling in substrate afterwards, thanks Dantrasy.

9. keithgh

Seabiped

Only concern using that method its strongly recommended to use the Egg Crate on the base of the tank to keep the rocks off the glass.

Seabiped likes this.
  10. Dantrasy

Dantrasy New Member

How's this one going?

11. keithgh

I would also be interested to see any updates to your tank.