1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

hi from a real noob :P

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Discovery, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Discovery

Discovery New Member

hi..i'm from Indonesia. and proudly says that i'm a real noob in aquascaping:p just learn about this in the last 1 month. sorry for the bad english too, its not my natives so please bear with me ;).. really appreciate you guys to make me so inspired to start the journey, hope to be a long, happy one :)

here is mine :
    20151128_205520_resized.jpg

20151128_205445_resized_1.jpg

its just a simple 60 x 37 x 40 cm tank, with simply stones & wood. will leave it for a couple days until i get the desired plants. any suggestion moss for the trees? i'm considering between mini pellia or peacock. and also for the carpet, i'm thinking about mixing dwarf HG with monte (really want HC but is it realistic for a noob?:()

any suggestion id really apreciated..

Sponsored link:

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

1. You have started off strong. Great choice with those rocks and driftwood. They have a lot of texture and character.
    2. Pay attention to mass, as larger objects tend to draw attention. Do you want your attention to be drawn to the rocks or the "trees"?
    3. Use natural angles. The "tree" on the left is stand perfectly straight, which appears unnatural. Try angling it slightly inwards.
    4. Natural flow is very important, and this setup would look even better if there was either wood, rocks, or plants physically and visually connecting the two sides.
    5. Finally, planting softens the emotional and visual impact of the original dry setup. Think how future plants will change the appearance.

3. kylumi

kylumi Aspiring Aquascaper

Hello Discovery, welcome to the forum:)

I can't offer you any advice on planting because I am new to that area myself.
    But, I agree with lucasgg, you have started off strong:cool:(y)

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Hello Discovery welcome to ASW can you fill in your location in your profile please.

My first advice is stop what you are doing and thinking sorry to say.

What you have done is make two separate Aquascapes one on the left and one on the right.

The rocks and Drift Wood DW you have are interesting.

Being a small tank they can be the hardest to start of with as there is no room for any errors at all.

OK where do you start the WWW and ASW is full of small basic simple Aquascapes that you could do with what you have plus extra bits and pieces plus the suitable plants for your tank.

Start immediately looking for a basic Aquascape, next research for the plants and along the way don't stop asking questions, the more you ask the more you will learn.

Sorry to be so hard on you but I have been this for so long now I can see problems before you even start.

The first two points you must learn and understand are KIS Keep It Simple and Less is more and More is less.

I can guarantee once you follow all the basics you will surprise even your self at what you have achieved

Here is a starting point some are great and some are below average but at least its a start.

Next thing I want you to make up a cardboard box the same size at your tank with a low front about 10-15cm please.

Keith:):)

5. keithgh

Discovery

[​IMG]

This is the reason for the cardboard box a mock up tank the substrate can be just sand from garden center its very cheap that way plus they should have a large supply of rocks far cheaper than any LFS

This one has a piece of clear plastic for the front.

6. Discovery

Discovery New Member

hi lucasgg, kylumi.. thank you so much for the respond, hi too keith, read so much of your post in here, really learn a lot from it(y)
    @lucasgg
    1. its taking me couple of weeks to find the rock & wood. especially the rock on left side, its looks great in its texture
    2. i love the left side rocks so much & the trees is in my imagination from the beginning. the right side rock intended to be a hill, with path between them. if i buried the right side rocks a little bit more, can it draw more attention to the left side?
    3. the trees is not yet glued (or any other method to stick it to its place?) so im just practically put it there just to have a little bit picture of what to do. thank you so much for your suggestion, will follow it:)
    4. i'm trying to have an image of hills. will it works?going to search for example to do that. again, thanks a lot:)
    5. now that is the most hardest part of it. i guess experience really matter and i have none of it:( can i get a clue how to make my rocks covered with plants?

@keithgh
    that is perfectly fine. i really need that. dont spoiled me;)

ok so basically, the right one isnt suit for the tank, right:(. can you spare me if i buried like half of it?can it still works?will try to do that and post here later on. will try do make a journal too when i can get the time.

will also get rid the smaller rocks around the big one. looks unnatural & unsignificant i assume?

will try to make a cardboard box ASAP.

Edit :
    just sees your next post. dont know if i can make it as good as your example. but will do my best. my family already complaining alot about me buying & spending so much on sands, substrate & others thing for this project lol

7. keithgh

Discovery

Once you get the box made I would like to see a photo of every thing you have all rocks and DW.

Reason I am trying to work with what you have and I can assure you its totally different to what you are thinking.

The first Aquascape must be very basic as this your learning curve and once you understand all the basics you can try the next level.

Be warned you have not even started spending money yet Aquascaping is not a cheap hobby.

I think there are members from your country but not sure about the area see if you can contact them.

New Topic "Looking for Indonesian members"

Then they will explain to you where to get your supplies at the right price and service and any thing else you might like to know.

8. Discovery

Discovery New Member

i'll try ASAP make the box, but might not till a couple more days since i need to go to some distant shop for the sands (i prefer real sands for aquascape so i can use it later). great idea though, never thought of that.

i get that parts keith, its just them getting nervous seeing me buying, sacks of sands, rocks, lamp, filter etc :p
    they dont understand how addicted it can be;)

the problem is, just like many newbie maybe, i cant wait for the next project/tank to get to the the next step:(

9. keithgh

Discovery.

Even garden soil will do a few buckets of sand where I live it would only cost a please and a thank you or go down to the beach and its free all you have to is just wash and dry it.

Once you start reading the members I have helped you will learn extremely fast slow and steady is the best way to go.

Think of it this way you could have your first set up going for many years so what is a few weeks when you are trying to get every thing right.

A simple example "Cycling" when done correctly it can take 1-2 weeks but do it the wrong way 4++ weeks very easily and in some cases its a complete restart.

I have been playing with Aquariums for about 50 years now, I joined my first forum close to 14 years ago.

kylumi likes this.
  10. Discovery

Discovery New Member

will do sir. thats why i'm pending it for about 6 weeks now, trying to learn more & no day without knowing something new. especially here..(y)

kylumi likes this.
  11. keithgh

Discovery

That sounds very reasonable.

Don't tell any one but I am still learning Aquascaping after 50+years.

12. Discovery

Discovery New Member

finally made the box :
    20151205_155228_resized.jpg

not looks great i know but still works isnt it :D

now let me see what i can do with this..

keithgh and kylumi like this.
  13. kylumi

kylumi Aspiring Aquascaper

That's ideal for arranging/planning lay-outs my friend(y)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  14. Discovery

Discovery New Member

thanks m8..
    just couldnt find time to get better material.
    anyway, here it is :
    20151205_171623_resized.jpg 20151205_170742_resized.jpg 20151205_171613_resized.jpg

gonna put some white silica sand in the middle. and for the background plant, any suggest if it better to use cabomba or dwarf HG?
    IMG_0244.JPG
    love how it looks like a bunch of tree on a hill

15. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Wait for a reply from Keith, as he may have a few things to say about that.

16. Discovery

Discovery New Member

yeah i'm really waiting for his input

17. keithgh

Discovery

Box its looks that count, it is does it work and it looks like its doing just that.

Reduce the height of the plastic wrap only wants to be the height of the substrate at the moment its rather distracting/glary.

Forget about every thing until you get the hardscape right first.

Then start researching about are you going Hi Tech or Low Tech?

Work out a full costing of both that is a must.

Your first attempt sorry to say it leaves much to be desired.

It looks like two rocks with a bit of DW on each piece.

If I draw a line through the center of the mock up you would have the start of two separate
    Aquascapes.

Where to go next start doing a massive research on that sized tank either Hi or Low Tech

That Aquascape photo certainly looks like there is a lot of experience there.

Sorry to be so harsh I could easily say WOW and all that stuff but I can guarantee you want an aquascape to be proud of.

Keith:cat::cat:

18. Discovery

Discovery New Member

no worry keith..
    is there any specific clue that you can give to make it look better?
    i like booth DW and intentionally brought 2 rocks for the hill shape. is it too similar & will not works?
    i have about 45 watt HPL LED, sets of CO2, jebo 625 external filter. will it be hi or low tech?

19. isla

isla Aspiring Aquascaper

welcome ;)

20. Discovery

Discovery New Member

20151206_233649_resized.jpg 20151206_234136_resized.jpg 20151206_233923_resized.jpg

is it better?just realized didnt have enough smaller rocks..might bought couple more tomorrow..