1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hi! and please critique my first attempt.

Discussion in 'Critique My Aquascape' started by mauriciol1, Mar 6, 2016.

1. mauriciol1

mauriciol1 New Member

Hi! We just upgraded to a 45 gallon tank and this is our first attempt at aquascaping. Actually we just started yesterday with the layout and planting the baby tears and the background plants.

We hope to get a nice "carpet" and will start introducing some more background plants.

How does it look so far? any tips on the layout or plants to add?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. mauriciol1

mauriciol1 New Member

This pic is from the front:

[​IMG]

3. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Always a good idea to work on the layout and hardscaping before planting or adding inhabitants. Not sure I am seeing the concept here. Others may chime in with more advice...

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

mauriciol1

Hello and welcome to ASW, can you fill in your Location as well as your Country please.

[​IMG]

J Art Excellent advice
    [​IMG]
    I hope J Art does not mind me posting this link.
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/10-gallon-iwagumi-style-first-aquascape.9667/
    It explains every thing about planning first and with perseverance what he achieved is nothing but excellent.

To start off with does this mean the tank is only one day old and it was not "Cycled"

Aquascaping

[​IMG]

This is what I would always advise reason being to every thing perfect before you start working in the tank.

At the moment your Substrate is flat and completely uninteresting making the remainder of the aquascape uninteresting.
    I have suggested is make it higher at both back corners and taper it to the front and still keep the front depth level but may be a bit deeper for your planting.

Your center piece DW Driftwood is very powerful and is the dominant feature of your tank.
    The smaller piece looks like its been added to make a three piece straight line.
    At the moment its in the wrong location the correct place is ??? to be worked on.

Rocks ??? not interesting at all the white rocks RH end are even in a straight line.

I am very sorry if I seem so hard on you, it would be very easy for me to say WOW WOW like many other Aquarium forums but this in an Aquascaping Forum and you did ask for advice.

Keith:cat::cat:

mauriciol1 and J Art like this.
  5. keithgh

J Art

You know exactly what I am saying and why, I hope you did not mind me using your topic as a reference point.

6. mauriciol1

mauriciol1 New Member

Thanks so much, Keith.

The tank is 3 weeks old and cycled. Yes, I realized we started in reverse order and just tried to work with what we had; long story.

You are rigth on the small piece of wood it looks out of place... I wonder if I should just remove it or move it to the rigth and to the front... And, yes, the rocks have been bothering me as well.

To create the hills on the back corners, is there any other way aside from temporarily relocating the fish?

7. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

@keithgh No not at all! I think my thread shows really well how a first timer progresses through their first scape. Use it as often as you'd like as an example!

keithgh likes this.
  8. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to ASW,

when starting a scape it is a good idea to research what the plants and fish will need. Decide what you would like to focus on and how much work you want to put into the attempt.

A couple questions to answer:

1) What are your goals? Any scapes you like or want to emulate?
    2)What type of maintenance schedule or how much time do you want to dedicate to the tank in a given week?
    3)What equipment do you plant to run?

HC is a tough plant for many and particularly tough for a beginner. Pressurized CO2 is highly recommended if not required to grow. I would not anticipate it will grow well.

We are glad to help, so thanks for posting. We will get this tank on its way! My recommendations are to put the fish in a bucket while you do some rescaping. I would make one hardscape location center left with the driftwood and the stones. To that I would attach the anubias you have along with some java fern...lots of nice java fern. Then behind it I would plant a tall crypt like C. balansae or C. spiralis. To the left and right a few other crypts like C. wendtii. If you want a carpeting plant consider an eleocharis species like Eleocharis belem (japanese mini), Eleocharis parvula...or you can go with a micro sword Lilaeopsis brasilliensis. I would plant radially out from your single hardscape location and let the plants spread from there. These are all good beginner plants and can do well with modest effort and equipment.

Since you only have gravel, which is inert, I would recommend either switching it out. Seachem flourite is a good easily available cheap alternative. Or using some root tabs where you plant the crypts and add more every 3 months. Root tabs would be good regardless of the substrate you choose. Look into some basic fertilizers or making your own. Making your own is not hard and is VERY cheap.

Okay...those are my thoughts for now. Welcome, and don't get too discouraged. Many of us have started here.

mauriciol1 and keithgh like this.
  9. keithgh

mauriciol1

J Art
    Thank you remember you did all the work I just kept pushing you harder until you did the best you could do with what materials you had.

Instead of treating your Aquascape as a change over it might be best to treat it as a complete rebuild.

To do that start with a mock up and use those three piece of DW as if they were well sculptured rocks.

Use sand as your substrate.

This means all you have to do at the moment is just remove the DW and leave the tank alone until you have the perfect mock up.

First step do plenty of research on 3 Rock/DW aquascapes

mauriciol1 likes this.