1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hey guys welcome from australia!!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Joel, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Joel

Joel New Member

hopefull they do because im really keen on starting i just dont want to buy the plants and then have no fertilizers and things like that :S
    also how many watts should my heater be if i have a 136litre tank (36gallons)

Sponsored link:

2. Mojojojo

Mojojojo Aspiring Aquascaper

I'd say a 300W should do nicely. Thats what I have got in my tank and it's 180L (Fill line is 150L though)

Do not buy plants until you have your CO2 (If you are going down that route) because they will just die or not grow in the way you want. Ferts are easy enough to get hold of and are relatively cheap so you can get that later on.

3. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

You will not need to buy soil. Buy aquarium substrate, much safer that way, soil may have substances that aren't good for the fish.

Regarding nutrients and ferts? See the EI link I posted, very good, and it is easy to mix your own.

If you are looking for ready made, check out some of our sponsors, they have ready made ferts. They also sell substrate, if you cannot find what you want closer at home.

4. Mojojojo

I've also seen a few ferts that come already mixed and you just throw a dose in each day and that sorts it. The EI way seems quite popular. I have absolutely no idea how it works but it seems popular.

5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

In my opinion 300W is way too much unless you want to grow red plant. I have the same tank size but only with 4x39W T5HO and I can grow creeping glosso without a problem. Too much light might invite algae.

6. Shadow

For this tank size I will choose 4x39W T5HO. Normally it come with 2 switches, one switch control 2 light tube. Thus you have the flexibility to turn on only 2 tube if your plants does not require a lot of light.

7. Mojojojo

I have 2 x 39W T5 lights in my tank. Just checked and I actually have a 200W heater *doh* :)

8. Joel

Joel New Member

okay thankyou guys :)
    this is all confusing for me atm because i dont really no much about aquascaping but i am learning
    ghostssword your saying to buy aquarium substrate is that just the same as normal gravel?

* and also i was told that to grow glosso you need to have higher lighting to keep it low to grow as a carpet so does that mean i will still get algea?

9. Shadow

not necessary it depend how you control it. Algae will still be there regardless low or high light. The different in hight light plants including algae grow faster. when they grow faster they need more nutrients. If the tank lack of nutrient the plants become stunt and algae will outgrow them.

Always focus on how to grow healthy plants and algae will be manageable.

10. Mojojojo

I have a low light/no co2 tank and I am getting algae in it so I suspect algae will show up regardless of what hardware you have in there. Most, if not all of the guys on here have algae eating fish and/or shrimp in their tanks that keeps the problem under control. Water quality management goes a long way to helping as well as others have mentioned.

11. ghostsword

Not all algae is related to light, for example BBA will appear if you have an unbalanced CO2, and it is hard to get rid off. :)

Obviously you can have ottos, and SAE's with some shrimps, and it will keep the matter at hand, but if you don't manage the tank properly then you will always have algae.

However, as Shadow says, concentrate on keeping the plants healthy, that is the first step, once that has been mastered, then you can move to aquascaping. :) That was what I did.

About substrate, you need to understand the difference between substrate (can be gravel) and soil (garden soil), or name it appropriately so that there is no confusion. :)

Look at some of our sponsors for the substrate, they do stock most types. Not sure if they will ship to Australia, but you can always ask.

12. Joel

Joel New Member

okay thankyou so ill start off with keeping my plants healthy because i wanted either cuba or glosso as my ground carpet and substrate is just gravel which i already got :p
    i will get some shrimps they look nice those bumblebee ones :)
    all i need for now is the lighting and then the plants the only other thing is now if they transport it to australia and i so hope they do because they will have a regular customer if they ship to australia :D
    thankyou for the help guys i will surely ask you lots and lots of questions because i am still learning and also reading up on alot of things i normally find heaps of diffrent pages of information then print them off and read over them :D

13. Mojojojo

14. ghostsword

Contact Frosties, he will let you know what he can ship. :) Planted Tanks indeed says that they will ship everywhere, which is nice.

15. Joel

Joel New Member

okay :)
    yeh my gravel hasnt got any nutrients in it unfortunatley
    and lucky for me i got paid today :D
    so im gonna go shopping i only got $50 though what equipemnt do you guys think i should start off to buy since i have NOTHING AT ALL!!

16. ghostsword

Ok, so you got $50. Spend it on aquarium sand, small diameter gravel.

Where in australia do you live? Do you have access to the countryside, where you could collect rocks, wood, etc.?

Look for slate, granite, basalts, those are good for tanks. Look for river boulders, if they have lasted enough on the river, they are good for a tank.

About wood, it is tricky, but hardwoods are usually safe, look for oak, dried pine, sycamore, maple, even fruit trees (apple, pear and cherry), heather wood, beech and hawthorn.

Keep away from evergreens, such as eucaliptos, pine, etc, anything with resin is bad for your fish and hard to get completely out of the wood.

17. Joel

Joel New Member

okay thanks but one thing could you send me a site were i could buy sand for my tank and a site that could refer me to buying a canister filter and i live in melbourne (in victoria)

18. Mojojojo

This place sounds decent. Has some good reviews and its local to you.

Fishy Business Aquarium
    139-141 Whitehorse Road, Blackburn Vic 3130 Phone: (03) 9877- 0394

19. Joel

Joel New Member

yeh but i cant really buy stuff online you have to go into the store its about 2 hours from me :|

20. Mojojojo

You should look for some local places. if you only have $50 every now and then to spend you will be spending most of that on delivery costs if you buy it internationally.