1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hey guys welcome from australia!!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Joel, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Joel

Joel New Member

okay well yes im probably going to buy the fluroscent lights...
    i dont really have a budget i just save up some money here n there an spend it on aquaria equipment i heard alot about these CO2 systems and it sounds like i will get one to well im going to have to 8)

These are the dimensions of my tank:
    Length: 3foot (92cm)
    width: 35cm
    Height: 44cm

and i will look around on this site but to be honest this website is very confusing to me its hard to manouver around..

i think i have to import all of my goods because i no the local fish stores do not supply most of the things i need and they do not supply the good glosso i am wanting to try out...

also do you reckon you could make a random hard scape for me to try out?
    i will buy all the stuff neeeded and take photos continouslly to show you my progression of the tank and to get yours and everyone elses feedback :)

Sponsored link:

2. Mojojojo

Mojojojo Aspiring Aquascaper

Planted Tanks for all aquarium plants. has some great products and the owner is very knowledgeable. They also ship allover the place so have a look see on there.

Co2 is a must for most plants. I'm sure you could do something with crypts and ferns to start out with if you dont want to wait while saving up for the expense of a CO2 system as these work well in tanks that have lower hardware specs apparently :)

I think the easiest way to sort out a hardscape is look around on Google for pictures of scapes you like then come back here and ask for advice. that is what I am doing with mine. I can really recommend Dragon Stone (Ohko stone), it looks great in most tanks I have seen it. It's just hard work getting them clean if you buy the natural ones from a store.It's totally worth it though. Get a few toothbrushes! :)

3. Joel

Joel New Member

sorry what do you mean by CO2 systems work well in tanks that have lower hardwear specs?

and could you guide me on what ferts and crypts i will need for the setting up of my tank as i am planting glossos and thats all i can think of atm :)

4. Mojojojo

Crypts and ferns work well in tanks without Co2 :)

If you want decent Glosso you will need some sort of Co2 system unfortunately.

5. Joel

Joel New Member

dang ohwell what other good plants are out there that dont really need CO2 that i could use for a ground surface?

6. Mojojojo

Hmm..not to sure about that one to be honest. To my knowledge there isn't one that really does a decent carpet look. I may be wrong though. If there is one I'm sure one of the guys on here will be able to point you in the right direction though.

7. Joel

Joel New Member

okay thankyou once again your help has done alot for me :)
    now i just gotta figure out how to navigate this website because its sorta difficult
    and i will probably just get some solutions to start off with
    but i dont no what solutions to use :s
    im on that website you linked and i am looking at all the solutions just say i already brought a CO2 system what other solutions would i need to buy from this site? and also what soil did you tell me to get that i could purchase from this site?

p.s sorry for all the questions it must be annoying but im really keen on starting

8. Mojojojo

Ask as many questions as you want matey, thats what the site is here for and thats how you learn :)

The best guy to speak to about that site would be Frosties. He owns the whole show and will be able to help you out.

9. Joel

Joel New Member

okay but how can i get in contact with him?

10. Mojojojo

He is on here alot. Just send him a message. He will probably read this post himself anyway soon enough :)

11. Joel

Joel New Member

okay hopefully he does because i have no idea on how to send him a message i got a message from someone else about changing my name and i didnt no how to reply to i just made some random post saying you can change it :S
    its so confusing!!

12. Mojojojo

You get the hang of it eventually :)

13. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Hi Joel, welcome to the forum.

I think that the first step is find out what sort of plants you want to keep, and what hardscape you want to use.

For example, you can obtain a fantastic tank with crypts and ferns, with or without CO2 being injected.

On the ASW Magazine there is an article that may help you to decide, A Beginner's Perspective.

For details about nutrients, and how to provide the plants with what they need to grow, check Estimative Index Fertilization Method.

Want to know about Planted Tank Lighting? We also have it here. :)

And what about CO2? Yep, ASW has it covered on this article.

The choice is now yours of what sort of tank you want to have.

Why don't you create a journal and share your ideas with us, post your questions and we will for sure do our best to answer them. :)

14. Mojojojo

Told ya. The guys on here know their stuff :)

15. Joel

Joel New Member

hahaha wow :)
    thankyou for the welcome.
    well yeh i have a 36gallon tank and the dimensions are shown on the post above
    umm i was looking at starting a hard scape with a hill style to it i wanted to put some rocks in and make a mountain and have glosso as a carpet in the tank
    and as before i was told to keep glosso i will need to have a CO2 system
    i havent really done much research on other plants but i do want to have a look as i am very busy so it is hard and i was also going to ask people if they had some good hard scape designs they wanted to share with me for me to try out

16. Mojojojo

You can start by looking at the "Iwagumi" style for some inspiration :) Just Google it or do a search on this site for some. Quite a few Iwagumi style tanks on here.

17. Joel

Joel New Member

thankyou :)
    i have one question that i cannot get the right answer for...
    what type of heater should i use?
    should i use the undergravel heater or the glass ones that hang on the tank?

18. Mojojojo

No, undergravel heaters are a waste of time and money (in my humble opinion).I don't know of any serious aquascaper that actually says that they are a good idea either. The standard ones that hang on the tank will do just fine :)

19. Joel

Joel New Member

okay thankyou :)
    pheww i thought i was going to have to by another heater to hehe :)
    i no i have to buy soil and i was told that i did not need to put gravel ontop of it because i am going to make a carpet ground with either glosso or cuba
    but i dont understand what fertilizers to use because theres so many things out there >.<
    is there any kits i could buy to make it alot easier ?

20. Mojojojo

There are loads of kits out there. I dont know much about fertilisers yet myself but there are guys on here who really know pretty much everything there is to know about it, so I'm sure someone will pop up with a suggestion soon enough.