1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Help?

Discussion in 'Critique My Aquascape' started by Nic, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Nic

Nic New Member

This is my 10gal, which looking a bit overgrown (see pic), but I can't figure out what to take out or add to it to improve the appearance. I've got 2 otocinclus, pond snails, and am awaiting 2 colorful apple snails and will be adding a black one too.

I think I have too much of the reddish stuff with small leaves, and I know from experience that as soon as I get snails my micofillum will get nom-ed to death and look ugly as sin - should I thin these out and replace them with...what? I like pics I've seen with more rocks or terracotta pots, but I don't know if I have room for that. Any suggestions would be awesome.

I'm new to aquariums, and clearly don't know much about aquascaping. I can't use CO2 cause of the apple snails, which are my primary focus. I've got an Aquaclear 30 filter and a heater that keeps it at 78 degrees, and I use Flourish Excel. I've got 2 20 watt colormax compact flourescent bulbs, and 2 regular 10 watts.

[​IMG]

2. hazelceleste

hazelceleste New Member

I would start by adding some sort of hardscape (as in, large rocks and/or driftwood). That will set the "style" for your tank. Once you have the hardscape in place, you can move your plants around so that they look good next to the hardscape.

If you don't know what sort of style you want, you might want to check out the pictures in the aquascaping sowcase, and try to imitate something you see there.

If you don't mind my asking, why can't you use co2 with apple snails? I've used co2 with apple snails with no ill effects. In fact, I always found that the snails could withstand a slightly higher level of co2 than the fish could, since snails breathe air from the surface.

3. Carolina

Carolina New Member

What luscious growth you have. The only plant that doesn't seem to be growing in your tank is the wisteria. What are your lights? Do you use ferts or inject Co2?

4. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

1st think about and decide on your hardscape.
    Consider replacing your gravel with a substrate designed for planted aquariums.
    If you choose to change out your gravel, take all the plants out and put them in a container filled with tank water.

Put your new substrate in, then add and arrange your hardscape.
    When planting, focus on keeping your stems in segregated groups and trim them after they grow about 3/4 to all the way to the water line.
    for your foreground plant try to maybe have one or two main plants that dominate the front half or so of the tank.

What kind of filter are you using?
    After you do all of this keep the water line as high as you can to minimize surface disturbance so you don't lose too much Co2, if you are indeed supplementing Co2.

5. Carolina

Carolina New Member

Well, how about an update.

I was just thinking an easy way to change your substrate is to top it with aqua soil, which can be bought at Lowe's. I someone somewhere do it.