1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Help!!! What is it, how do I fix it!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by tomba, Oct 5, 2009.

1. tomba

tomba New Member

Hi!
    What is it and how can I destroy it? Tnx!
    I dose Co2 and Easy life subtrate!

Attached Files:

2. Carolina

Carolina New Member

I think the 1st and 2nd picture are BBA. I think 2 in the middle are thread algae. Algae is due to imbalance. Usually imbalance of Co2 and light. Sometimes imbalance of nutrients due to manner water is treated by Govt.

I would take the plants and spray them with
    Easy-Life EasyCarbo. Depending on your substrate you may need to take your fish out for a few hours.
    Replant with out rinsing. Then dose with CSM+B and Potassium Nitrate daily. It contains Copper, Iron, Magnesium sulfate, Molybdenum and Zinc.
    Solution is for both dry ferts:

Mix 2 tablespoons (30 grams) with 2 cups (473 ml) of water.
    I would dose 2 ml daily at least 2 weeks with weekly water changes.

Since it is diluted it last a long time. If there is an aquarium association in the area you may be able to get it from a member.

Some info I gather about algae

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Key to preventing algae is to [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1.[/FONT]turn on the bright lights as the very LAST part of the setup
    2. make sure you have a lot of plant mass from the very start of using those bright lights
    Example
    Lower lights 9hrs
    high lights 6hrs

Thread algae cure.
    1. 50% water change.
    2. Discontinue fertilizing altogether.
    3. Every day for 1 week add 1 gram of Kno3 every 50 gallons until there begin to appear Green Spot Algae.
    4. CO2 increase the maximum allowable by the aquarium (at least 35 ppm).
    5. Not diminish the lighting.
    6. Do not modify other variables.
    7. Manually remove the algae
    8. When the issue is solved or after 7 days, 50% water change.
    9. The amount of Kno3 you needed it achieve the GSA will be the amount you will use as fertilizing per week.

10. About the others fertilizers, use 30% of the dose you were using
    At the worst you can do a 3 day black out and then change the water. I think it best to take the fish out. For the die off of algae is toxic.

3. tomba

tomba New Member

I would like to clarify that these algae are all the same in whole tank, which looks as mucus like cyanobacteria, without characteristic smell, not as an overlay, but in pieces, which grasp to leaves. With hand can be easily removed from the leaves, but the nasty thing swim around the tank and i can manually removed the floating algae with suction bell.
    I startet my setup in year 2008 and i have lot of plants mass currently. I fertilize with Easy life Profito, DIY solution KNO3 , KH2PO4 and K2SO4, dosing Pressurized CO2.
    Light:-2x T-5 80w and 4x T-8 36w!

Attached Files:

4. Carolina

Carolina New Member

You forgot to mention the size of the tank. Are those T5 NO or HO. I think you probably have too much light though. Have you tried cutting of the T5 lights? I have not seen a tank with as much light that you have. You have to keep in mind that wpg rule is based on T12 bulbs. The thinner the bulb the more light out put there is. Have you done anything different since you set it up.

2. Discontinue fertilizing altogether.
    3. Every day for 1 week add 1 gram of Kno3 every 50 gallons until there begin to appear Green Spot Algae.
    4. CO2 increase the maximum allowable by the aquarium (at least 35 ppm).

That is a high tank obviously. Have you visited the Tom Barrs forum. You can ask him for advise.

5. tomba

tomba New Member

6. Carolina

Carolina New Member

What unit is that? I can't find anything that compares to it here. Have no idea how many gallons it is.

I think you should google for other tanks similar to yours to see how much light they are using.

7. tomba

tomba New Member

Its 95 gallons or 360 liters!