1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Help!!! What is it, how do I fix it!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Al G. Begone, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

:mad:I should change my name to Al G. Bhere:mad:.

I don't know what this is but it's kind of spreading fast.
    It's covering my dwarf hair grass and HC, and it's a major eye sore!
    What kind of algae is it, what causes it, how do I fix it, and how do I prevent it!

Here are links to pictures, I always try using tags and it never works.
    [ATTACH]296.vB[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]297.vB[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]298.vB[/ATTACH]

I feel like a failure because this happened last time I tried to grow a decent foreground too.

2. Vele bit

Vele bit New Member

It looks to me like Cianobacteria,the most efective way to destroy it is the Antibiotic called Eritromicin..But wait for more opinions..Maybe I'am wrong about it.

3. KDahlin

KDahlin New Member

I would say so as well except for the color of it. Maybe the settings on your camera are making it appear lime green rather than blue green? Could that be? If it is cyanobacteria, Erythromycin is the fix.

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

how does something like this appear? and how to prevent ?

5. Mellonman

Mellonman New Member

The reasons of its apperance are quite complex, I did not find out clearly until now (some say it's due to unbalanced NO3 and PO4)... but the cure is easy : Cyanocell (by HS Products).

6. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

This is 100% Cianobacteria. I had this stuff last year in my tank and eventually I had to ripped out the complete setup. It comes due to 2 reasons....
    1. Poor Water Circulation
    2. Very Low Nitrate

To eradicate it use Amoxicillin. Not sure about your tank size. But half of a 250mg Amoxicillin will be good for a 30 G tank. Dose the antibiotic and wait for 3-4 days. Then do a large water change and dose it again. Within 7 to 10 days it should go away.
    Remember, Cianobacteria (Blue Green Algae) is lethal to fish and plants in long term and there is no fish which will touch this algae. Amoxicillin will not harm your fish and plants so if you dose on a higher side there will be no such tension, but Amoxicillin will wipe out the bacterial colony from your tank.

When the algae will go.... increase water circulation and gradually increase KNO3 dosing.

All the best!

7. wintor56

wintor56 New Member

Hi,

I too had an outbreak of this Cyanobacteria about 2 years ago. I used the info on the attached link, to kill it , never to return. It is a bacteria not a true algae.
    The antibiotic was not harmfull to the plants, fish or filter bacteria in the dosage suggested.i.e. 2.5 mg/litre daily for 4/5 days

Fighting Blue-Green Algae with Erythromycin

Best Regards,
    wintor56

8. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

Anyone know how to get something like this in the USA without a prescription?

9. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Don't think Amoxi is a prescription drug. It's one of the basic Anitibiotics. Chk once with the medical shop guys.

10. aquaphish

aquaphish New Member

You can get erythromiocin (spelling may be wrong) at any pet store. Just ask for it.

Follow the directions on the box and you will have a cleared up tank in a few days.

11. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

Yeah every antibiotic in the states must have a prescription to be obtained.
    I found a product that probably contains this at a petstore yesterday made to destroy BGA/cyanobacteria. It smelled strange and had pink granuals mixed in with a white powder, I put it in yesterday.
    I also got an organic Ick treatment. :">
    Both products should not harm my invertabrates or plants.
    What a catastrophe.
    I'll post the results in a few days with the product names if they work.

12. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

good luck. that is a really big pity :(

13. will325i

will325i New Member

I had a bout of BGA last month. I didn't want to try the 5 day black out suggested by Tom Barr. After increasing flow and countless trimming and vacuuming w/o success. I resorted to using Maracyn (not II). It's erythromyosin. It's available at all the aquarium stores. After 5 days of dosing per mfg instructions, all the slime were gone.
    Afterward, 50% water change and dose Nitrate and Phosphate (you can start that now).
    I didn't notice any NH4 spike after 5 days of treatment. It even cured pop-eye disease on one of my guppy. Yesterday, my guppies gave birth to 15 fries.

14. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

Product: UltraLife Blue-Green Algae remover. Its a pink and white powder and works in 3 days.
    My cyanobacteria problem is now resolved. I can see my Eleocharis parvula again!
    there were also allot of small quarter-inch green threads floating around in the water, I thought my filter wasn't working well, but these are also gone.
    No harm to plants or shrimp.

15. altaaffe

altaaffe New Member

I had BGA in a tank which I had recently set-up and due to a short notice detachment couldn't do the required maintenance.

A total blackout for 3 days cured me of the blight (although I had less than you). I'd remove as much as possible manually, carry out a 50% water change and blackout for 72 hours (longer if you can stay away from it) turn off the CO2 during this. After the blackout, carry out another 50% water change.

As for cause, it is reckoned that ammonia levels or lapses in maintenance schedules can be responsible for it, particularly in the early stages of set-up. The tank that gave me problems was my first using ADA amazonia which was of course leeching ammonia at the time.

16. Brian

Brian New Member

I have it for a long time. I bough KNO3 and other ferts and start the EI method. In weeksthe cyano dissapear