1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

HELP !! stones or aquasoil???

Discussion in 'Substrate' started by Khan, May 29, 2014.

1. Khan

Khan New Member

Dear forum members,

I am almost new to aquascaping, and i just made my 120x58x50 aquarium. Now its ready to roll.

But I am very very confused. My goal is to achieve a nature aquarium with carpeting plants like pygmy chain sowrds and baby tears, hair grass etc. I have a bog wood and some lava stone.
    All this time, I was planing to buy aqua soil, NOT from ADA, but "oliver knott" brand, which is available in a pet store , 10 liter 35 euro, and 45 for fine one.

I am international student here in germany, so i have got money issue too. and suddenly i dunno why i bought in total of 35 kg of smooth edge black gravel for aquarium and 25 kg of fine black sand type gravel(i thought would be best for carpeting plants). cost was approx. 80 euros.:mad::confused::eek::cry::censored::barefoot::mad:

Now my question are

1. would the stone gravel be good enough for my purpose? what about the long run and cleaning and fertilization and water chemistry?

2. If i'm using the stone gravel, should i use sheets of filter sponge as the very bottom to make it more aerobic?

please give me detailed information if you could.

Thanks in advance.

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Khan, Gravel can work but will need fert tabs every 2-3 months. So it will be an ongoing cost :( I use them in my tanks and the plants are doing well :D My Cube only has gravel & stones in and is doing fine with this method (y)
    No need for filter sponge on the bottom the plant roots will make the substrate Aerobic
    Gravel is inert so will not affect your water chemistry
    Also you will need to fert the water every day or once a week with Seachem Flourish or another brand of ferts
    One Thing, Some of the plants you want to grow" Baby tears& hair grass" Grow better with Co2 added to the water

mice_elf, Ian and ShadowMac like this.