1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Help needed with CRS and Black Hair Algae

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by heovang, May 5, 2012.

1. heovang

heovang New Member

Hey folks

I have been having an Ebi with lightly planted tank, some anubias nana petite, singapore moss. No CO2 in my tank, no ferts at all and have about 25 CRS in there.

However the tank started to have loads of black hair algae on the moss.

I am currently changing water once a week of 25%.

Will it be better if I do water change every 2 weeks now to stop this algae issues ? Cause fresh water give loads of stuffs that algae would love..

Thanks for your help

2. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

What is the light wattage being used in the tank? I would say get anything which has got glutaldehyde as base to supplement carbon eg: flourish excel/easy carbo etc in bit medium doses for a week or so, apart from the carbon source it works as an algeaside. A fert dosing regiem might help as well. Plus try to increase the flow rate around the moss a bit. But before you do the above please refer to experts on CRS as I personally have zero experience in keeping CRS, so not aware how the above steps would alter water chemistry specific to them

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I would get some Excel, but would only dose small quantities directly to the effected areas so the CRS can get used to it.

I dose my CRS tanks with Excel with no harmful effects, but I introduced it slowly and keep it in small quantities.

-John N.

4. heovang

heovang New Member

Thanks..the light is the stock light, 11w and the tank is about 8 US Gal, the filter (Fluval Nano) came with it is such a waste of money..I have bought the Eheim Liberty hopefully it is better.. And I only leave it on for 7 hours a day max.

I will get some liquid carbon to try with..

Thanks John..I will get some Excel then, cause I have been reading ppl prefer Easy Carbo..Shall I cut the dosage to half to keep the CRS safe ?

How about I do W/C every 2 week ?

Thank you all

5. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

I would recommend a higher light wattage as well, low light and low water flow is a sure killer so make the change as required.