1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Help Me to Finalize My Hardscape

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by tirtha1979, Sep 7, 2008.

1. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Hi Friends, summer is over here in India, so this is the time to start a new planted tank. o:)
    Next month I am planning to restart my 4'x2'x2' planted tank from the scratch. As of now the tank is empty and I am playing arround with Rocks and Sands to finalize the hardscape.
    After many trial and error, I finally came up with 2 scaping ideas. Take a look at the below pictures.

Your Comments, Suggestion, Criticism will be very much appreciated. :bling:

First Scape:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second Scape:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nikko

nikko New Member

Hi Tirtha

In the first pic, I like the position and orientation of the two main stones at the back of the scape. Perhaps the two smaller supporting stones are too much directly in front and they could be moved a little further towards the sides of the tank.

Also having two groupings, of two stones is quite symmetrical so maybe you could add a smaller third stone to the left side group.

Cheers.

3. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

I made some changes in the Settings.

One: Pulled Up the Biggest rock a Bit at left and introduced another small rock in that group.
    [​IMG]
    Two: Removed the bigger rock from Right hand side
    [​IMG]
    Trying out 2 different rocks at right hand side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sugession/Feedback/Critisism Please. :)

4. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

Anyway you might be able to get some smaller rocks in addition to this group?

I think the 1st initial grouping looked good, if you added a tumble or rocks going down from the larger stones a couple of smaller rocks off the second larger main stone.

Think about adding some smaller stones around those 2 large stones and see what feels "better" to you. Take your time. Let each scape sit for awhile and see if you'd be happy with the result in the tank.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Thanks a lot Tom for your valuable inputs. Will try out with the smaller stones and will see the outcome.

Do I really have to add more small rocks to the left grouping?? For the right grouping I will try out with some smaller rocks along the the bigger one for sure.

@Nikko.... I will love to see your inputs on my second set of ideas.

6. nikko

nikko New Member

I like the third and fourth arrangements this time Tirtha. However I prefer that main stone when it is in a vertical orientation rather than a horizontal one.

Also it just occurred to me after chatting to John about my scape, that maybe you could build up the substrate height a bit under the main stone grouping to get a more dynamic scape.

What do you think?

7. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

No, you do not have to do anything:)
    It's not my scape after all, you have to be happy with what you do.
    So I suggest things and see what you think they may look like later after the plants fill in.

Also, it really depends on what type of plants one uses, if you used a Blyxa foreground, the small stones might be lost in the plants. So you would need to account for the final stages and pruning routine for the scape once the plants fill in.

Small stones can be easily lost in the plants if things are not maintained.

But if you have some, take a look at last years ADA contest winning an dsee how they used the small stones.

Go out and look at rocky bank by a river, you will see larger stones flanked typically by progressively smaller ones:

the sea side:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/210/488514397_bf909f74be.jpg?v=0

Hot deserts:
    http://www.hermonslade.org.au/projects/HSF_03_3/HSF_03_image_05_full.jpg

Nice creeks:
    http://www.atpm.com/12.04/lake-district/images/waterfall-on-dovedale-beck.jpg

Here's a tank with a few smaller stones in context with a larger one.
    Note how the smaller ones make the larger one appear larger?

This gives a reference and we think the other is that much larger as a result. Often that is the goal in such rock displays, to reduce the actual model you chose and still retain the essence.

I do not ask you to buy into all this reasoning, I ask you to try it and see what you think. Then you decide.

Go take a look at rock formations that you might find aesthetic.
    See what other details are there and see what/how you might emulate them, not really replicate, but capture the essence.

Regards,
    Tom Barr