1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Help me plan my stocking in my 45 gallon

Discussion in 'Fish' started by cooledwhip, Jul 2, 2016.

1. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Hey everyone I have been making lots of posts based on my 46 gallon SUPER tall aquarium I got. I set it up and it has been filled for a while now. I have cycled it a bit with a small bit of ammonia as I am new to the fish out method. It was really the smallest amount, I don't think it did too much. Anyway. I still added three guppies and I have been using Seachem stability to help cycle it more.

I am ready to add SOME fish and start stocking. I have an idea of what to stock it with but I wanted to know if there are any more options I could do.

My dad (who this tank is for) wants the most colorful fish I can get. We were watching something on TV and he pointed out the saltwater fish and said "Wow can you put those in my tank". I had to explain to him the difference between salt and fresh water... But its ok.

There are so many options I can do, but here is what I was thinking.

one or two freshwater angelfish

small school of various tetra species:

8 neon tetras

8 Rummy nose tetras

8 Diamond Tetras

4 Corycats

8 Congo Tetras

I know its a lot of tetras but I don't know what else to stock it with. I really want to put an angelfish or two in this tank, that is a must because the tank has such high dimensions, 20 in long 18 in wide 30 in tall,

An angel or two would look amazing.

Do different species of tetras school together?

For example can I have 10 neons and 2 rummynose? Just wondering.

I know apistogramas would also be nice too, idk if they would fight with the angel though.

Please leave me thoughts and suggestions.

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Tetras are compatible unless otherwise stated.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

cooledwhip

As a double check post a full water parameters test and how it was done.

Stability is a very good product no need to add any thing else, I used a standard strength at every water change and double dosage at the monthly filter cleaning, I also double dosed after any power outage.

If its fully cycled and you have carbon in your filter remove it immediately.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

This will help you with compatibility.

Once you have selected your fish only add a few at each time otherwise you could easily have a mini cycle.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

I know aqavisor is good for guidance but there are questions as well as other things I can't ask on aqadvisor.

For example, what are some good colorful tetras I can put in with the angelfish? Also I don't know if I should do 1 angelfish, or a couple, idk.

5. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Ill post tank params later, promise.

As for fish, could I do a single angelfish and then a school of green neons or cardinals?

6. keithgh

cooledwhip

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...h=658&dpr=1.5#hl=en_GB&tbm=isch&q=tetras+fish

Here are plenty of photos of Colourful Tetras for you to work from.

What was Aqavisor answer to that question?

7. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Look I get you are trying to promote aqadvisor but I've never seen a tank my dimensions and I'm pretty sure the website is for standard tanks. I had to custom enter in my tank dimensions

Yeah I know how to use google. I can google "colorful fish" and find thousands. B ut will those fish be available to me? Not all of them. I'm mainly lookng for ones available to me. Diamonds, congos, neon, cardinal, green neon.'

Aqadvisor said that the angelfish could eat the neon tetra.

What would other stocking options be? I want a big school of tetras and a large centerpiece fish.

8. keithgh

cooledwhip

Yes and often any small fish that will fit into its mouth once they are older and larger.

I am only trying to help you.

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I would skip the angels.

You are stocking a lot of fish in this tank. Several species like Congos are large tetras.

I wouldn't recommend mixing that many species. It does not make for a nice look and the fish would all be happier in larger schools.

You could consider a pair of German blue rams or a pair of Bolivian Rams which get larger than GBRs. Then I'd recommend a primary schooling group of small fish and maybe a secondary school with less. You should also add some ottos and shrimp (if getting Bolivian rams or other large fish skip the shrimp). Many of the larger tetras will also eat shrimp.

How much current is moving through the tank? if it is a nice steady flow, nothing too turbulent, some gouramis might be a nice choice.

10. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Yeah I agree there. I would like to do a school of one fish and a smaller school of another.

There is alot of flow on the tank. Would I be able to do a pair of angelfish and maybe a small school of tetra? My dad wants bigger fish in the tank, and thats a no to the bolivian rams because he wants something much more colorful.

11. ShadowMac

You could do electric blue rams and ember tetras for some bright contrasting colors.

Angels are not colorful. Pretty drab to be honest. Angels don't do well in pairs or even small groups. Why big tanks are recommended for them. Groups of 5 or more. With two you could have problems with aggression. See www.seriously fish.com for good reliable information.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

keithgh likes this.
  12. ShadowMac

Sounds like what your dad really wants is a bigger tank...I wouldn't recommend anything that gets over 4". The tank has a small footprint

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

cooledwhip and keithgh like this.
  13. keithgh

That is excellent advice from Shawn.

There is a massive difference between "Wants" and "What is suitable for that small tank"

cooledwhip and ShadowMac like this.
  14. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

I have Dwarf neon rainbows in there. If they get too large for t he tank I have multiple other longer tanks to house them in. Right now they are mini babies though so it seems fine for now.

Would I be able to GBRs with them?

15. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Have you considered African Cichlids? If you're going for color, you can't beat them in freshwater. But you'd have to stick with all african cichlids. With good filtration you can overstock to keep aggression under control and for all intensive purposes can almost look like a saltwater setup. Actually, you could even use coral as it raises the PH, which they need. Just don't plan on planting anything live.

Unfortunately height doesn't matter as much as length and width...so you're sort of still working with a smaller tank in respect to footprint.

@ShadowMac is right about angelfish. They're definitely sort of drab. In the wild they developed their color patterns to blend into driftwood and shadows. Not exactly vibrant.

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  16. keithgh

J Art

Great advice given.

17. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Hello guys!!

I haven't posted in this thread for a while, I have been busy with some other stuff and fixing up my old tanks and making them look nicer. I just wanted to give an update on the 45 gallon since mainly you both have helped me a lot. Thank you Shadowmac and Keithgh.

First off, the tank is FLOURISHING. it is growing amazing, the growth is just insane. I went on vacation for 2 weeks, (I got back last week) and I inspected the tank and it was crazy. There was so much new growth I didn't believe it. The crypts had sprouted so much and now each individual little thing I planted is now the size of what you would buy in a pot. Like a massive bunch. The flame moss was almost 3 inches in length, I had to trim it. It was massively overgrown which was great. The fish that were in there had lots of babies, (most were eaten).

The anubias I planted hasn't shown LOTS of growth but it is obvious it has grown a bit. I might add more just so it looks more balanced.

The java fern is just... omg. It started growing off the leaves I guess? Brown roots came off the leaves and it is just a massive bunch and bush of java fern. The jungle val which I was advised to not put in there has sent off numerous runners, all of which are doing great. The main plant I put in is crazy tall and growing lots of more leaves. There is little to no algae at all in the tank. There was a snail problem but I added some assasin snails and they did the trick. The little dirt I put in the tank went a long way. I wanted to add a tiger lotus at some point, and maybe some crinum natans or crinum calamistratum. (thoughts?).

As for stocking. I have 4 corydoras, and they actually bred on their own they were so happy in the tank...

There were eggs everywhere. All over the glass, the filter intake, leaves, rocks, everywhere.

So the 4 corydoras, the three guppies(starter fish, they bred too but I can't get the little suckers out), 11 neon tetras which I added yesterday which just make the tank pop. Are these guys big on bio load? I want to add a lot more.

I have 3 dwarf neon rainbowfish, 3 boesemani rainbowfish, and 2 millenium rainbowfish. I know, I know I'm crazy to put them in such a small tank for side to side swimming. It's not permenant. I plan on keeping them in there for until about december, that's when I will start a 75 gallon or something, when it's really snowy. But as of now they are all very happy fish, and I think the reason they haven't jumped out or gotten disease yet is because of the natural environment with plants, etc.

I also got 2 otocinclus. They are both doing great in the tank. Barely noticeable, but great haha.

The filter is way over powered, for the tank, so it can handle a large bio load. It was rated for like 200-270 gallons or something? Idk. I'll try to record a vid to show you guys. Thanks