1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Help me Kill it

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Nabobmob, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Nabobmob

Nabobmob New Member

It is slowly taking over my 75 gallon tank, BBA I sure but none of the typical cures seem to be doing anything. I've got 4 true SAE's thal love hanging upside down and eating flake.

PH 6.8-7.2 after WC
    KH 3-5D
    Marineland C-360
    4 2L DIY CO2 diffused by CF
    Just began Excel dosing this weekend

Plant growth seems good on all plants even affected plants with the exception of my mother sword, her leaves are becoming thin and are dissolving however remain lush green. My Sag. and Lotus seem to be improving several now leaves weekly.

In desperation I tried dosing with small amounts of H2o2. dosing about 60ml daily with WC every other day for a week. On the first dose small bubbles seemed to form on the algae but after that nothing seemed to happen and it continued to spread. :errr:

Please help or is it a lost cause??

IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/Nabobmob/IMG_0198.jpg[/IMG]

[​IMG]

While I'm posting photos, has anyone ever seen this whit moldish looking stuff at the base of these Vals, it appeared over night? :eek:

[​IMG]

2. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

Bba is caused by low or fluctuating co2. First are you using a drop checker with 4 dkh solution to make sure you have 30 ppm co2? You may have poor water flow which could be also be part of the problem. When I was using diy co2 I would keep my bottles in a heated water bath this helps keep co2 production a bit more stable. I also used a kind of homemade needle valve, I bought this at walmart and modified it by glueing some pieces and adding teflon tape to it and ading extra yeast to get better pressure so bottles where always swollen. That is where I would start unless someone with moreexperience has better sugestions.

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

That's a weird white mold. Is your DIY CO2 leaking into the tank by anychance?

You do have what appears to be BBA. Solutions that work tend to be increasing CO2 levels, and dosing with Excel.

-John N.

4. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Don't just dose with excel, you need to cut the filters once a day and get the full recommended dose or double that and suck it up in a syringe or eye dropper type thing and stick your hand in and slowly shoot it out right into the stuff and do as much of an area as you can, and do it again the next day until it turns red / white and then shrimp / algae eaters will eat it and you can remove it.

You won't get the whole tank in two days.
    Start at one end and do what you can and work to the other end.

This much excel dosing, while you are doing it, will probably take care of your fluctuating c02 issues, but you should do something to get levels up / stable so that you don't have to treat ALL the time.

OH Yeah, leave the tank sit for about 15 min after you treat, then put the filter(s) back on.
    HTH

5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

BBA can be killed using Excel or H2O2. Use syringe and squirt it close to BBA. H2O2 work faster than Excel but it might kill you fauna if overdose. With excel you need to do it for couple of days