1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Help: Corydoras Pygmaeus lower or higher ph

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Cip, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Update :)

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Cip

Thank you for posting your video.

Keith:cat::cat:

Cip likes this.
  3. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

I enjoy these guys very much, I'll keep posting videos. I recommend this cory variety for shrimp tanks, very peacefull and they get along with shrimp fry. Im trying to get also cory habrosus or hastatus but no luck, no one is breeding them in my country, don't know why.

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. keithgh

Cip

Keep trying, is there many Aquarium Clubs in your Country if so contact them.
    Your LFS should know who to contact.

5. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Keith, I don't know if you can believe it but there are no aquarium clubs in my country from what I know, only public gatherings.

6. TheGreenFrat

TheGreenFrat New Member

I have a school of 11 of these, I find them rather shy... They weren't at first, it might be due to their tankmates.
    Yours looks great! They sure shoal very well :)

7. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Hello @TheGreenFrat, I have only 11 I want to buy another 10, the more you have the better they shoul. You are perfectly right, they are the shyest from the 3 dwarf cory varities ( habrosus, hastatus, pygmaeus ), they shoul in the mid level of the tank so if you have another species that like to lurk at that level they will stay hidden. Another thing I've noticed they don't like high light, I've created some shade areas towards the front of the tank so I could see them more often. I'm keeping them with shrimps so they are a bit bolder.

Do you have them for a long time ? have they spawned for you ?

8. keithgh

Cip

With schooling fish "usually" the bigger the school the more confident they become.

Cip likes this.
  9. TheGreenFrat

TheGreenFrat New Member

I've had them about 3 months now! They haven't spawned yet. I like your idea to have some shade in the front, might give that a try. I've also heard that feeding them a bit less will help; in my tank they barely have incentive to get out looking for food.

Cip likes this.
  10. keithgh

TheGreenFrat

Do a little research on breeding them to make sure you have all the right conditions for your fish.

Cip likes this.
  11. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

Probably, but that it happens is unlikely.. In nature there never will be water with kh 0 besides rain water maybe high up in the atmosphere, cause rain water is vaporized water and during this process demineralized, but the moment the water vapor accumulates and comes down again in form of rain drops it will collect dust particlas along the way down, these can be a number of minerals floating around in the air in the form of dust, which could for example contain the miniral calcium carbonate and or bacteria and all this will add certain ions to the package. So by the time it lands on your roof and into the rain barrel it probably will be slightly mineralized again and contain a degree of kh (Carbonate).

The only water i know of which has kh 0 is demineralized water from the hardware store, which has a nutral ph and is also sterilized before it is bottled. If it wouldn't be sterilized the bacteria in it would add carbonate ions to the water again and it would seize to be demineralized. :) If you would put a fish in this water it probably wont live very long, as Shaun already said, osmosis is more damaging dan ph, so kh o water and the fish would want to equalize in osmosis and the water will start extracting it from the fish. Anyway if you would put demineralized in a fishtank with substrate and plants osmosis will do the same with that.. Even substrate with kh lowering properties will add kh back to water with kh o.

For example Akadama should be lowering kh, but only if the kh of the water put on it has a rather high kh, if the kh is already low enough akadama does not make it any lower. This might be a bit of misconception of kh lowering propperties of substrate.. I have kh 4 to 6 from the tap and have akadama in the tank and never measured a change in kh.

Maybe you should also search and read a bit outside the aquarium trade, then things also could become clearer, it is actualy a bit regular chemistry kh, ph and osmosis is not only applicable in fishtanks but as important in your blood as well . :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonate

ShadowMac likes this.
  12. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

I know that kh is important in osmoregulation and stuff. I have kh 0 in my shrimp tank, shirakura red bee sand, also using remineralized RO water.

13. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

That tells you how inacurate a Kh drop test actualy is.. :) Or it is like looking at tank water in a test tube looks perfectly clear, in a white bucket filled to the top you see its yellow. I have difficulty to believe that water conaining living organism contains no bicarbonate. :)

You consider it 0 because the drop test doesn't react with 1 drop which is 1 kh. 2 drops 2 kh or maybe 1,75.. :)

14. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

That's why drop check has a way to fine tune the reading, never done it cuz' I want to have ~0kh, I don't argue with you but it is possible to have 0kh, although like you said, it's not absolute 0.