1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Help Aquascaping a 55G tank

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by trenac, Mar 30, 2008.

1. trenac

trenac New Member

They say this is one of the harder size tanks to aquascape because of the narrow width. I've tried twice with not so good results. I'm ready to try again and thought I would incorparate some help from those better suited then I. So any advice you can give is appreciated [-o<

Here are my thoughts... First off I want to try the new Seachem black sand. To cut down on cost I may use pool filter sand underneath (I know, issues with mixing) or just use the black sand on the sides & pool sand in the middle (void plants in middle).

For the overall look, I want to leave the middle open with plants on both left & right end. One end will be of smaller size with less plants, the other end larger with more plants (does that make sense?).

As for hardscape I would like to try using Mopani wood & rocks (either smooth gray/black stones or petrified wood). I'm thinking of using the rocks to section off the ends from the middle section. I also have a bag of good size pebbles of varing colors I may work into it.

Here are the plants I plan on using... Crypt crispatula b. for the background & one side. I have a Madagascar Lace plant I don't know quiet how to work into the scape. I have Blyxa j, Hydro v, petite Anubias, & Four leaf clover already on hand. Also want to give Blyxa aubertii, Crinum calamistratum, & Pogostemon helferi a try. I'm also thinking about dwarf Baby Tears for a foreground, if I go that direction.

Awaiting your input :waiting:

2. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Sounds good to me have to started any on the setup? Any pics?

3. trenac

trenac New Member

No, I have not yet started. I'm just trying to get output now. Hopefully I will be starting soon.

4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I'm surely no expert, but I had a similar problem when trying to aquascape a 29 gallon which is 12 inches wide as well. Sticking to tall leafy plants like Cyperus helferi or Jungle Val type plants helped the tank looking fairly deep and tall. When paired with Hygrophila corymbosa "compacta", or some other swatty looking plant it worked nicely too. So the general idea is to pair tall and short plants together to form sort of a tiered effect across the whole scape.

Anyone have examples of aquascapes that can help Trena (and me) get an idea of how it would look to scape plants within such a tight space?

-John N.

5. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

Hi Trena.

I'm not an expert, but figuring out your description maybe some Eleocharis Vivipara in the back would look great, my .02.

Good Luck !

6. trenac

trenac New Member

Thank You John & Guillermo for the suggestions. I will keep them in mind when I start buying plants.

7. redcaptrio

redcaptrio New Member

hi trenac, any updates on this tank? my tank is also 55gal.. yeah, just 16in width.. may you come up with something special with this one.. will look out for your updates.. thanks and God bless..

8. oregonaqua

oregonaqua New Member

just showing my 55 gallon. i was away for a couple of days and it had a algae outbreak. but i like the scape i have. minus the grass in middle back and grass in middle front. i dont like them.
    oh and i didnt turn my noon lights on for pics.
    this scape is going bye bye soon. rescapeing very soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. trenac

trenac New Member

I'm hoping to come up with something special. I have some idea's that I've been tossing about.

I've gotten 3 bags of the Seachem black sand, I need to get a bag or two more. My LFS is slow getting it in, then when they do it's only a couple bags at a time.

I'm hoping to be able to break it down & set it back up some time this month.