1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello :)

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by MarcelM, Aug 25, 2015.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Marcel

I can see what you are referring to about taking that rock out, certainly not worth the risk.

Keith:):)

Sponsored link:

2. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

Keith, you made my day already.. :) Anubias Petite is perfect!! already alover my tank enough to take some cuttings. And just tried a few pieces on that stone.. It actualy looks great there. I'll buy me a pot extra now, so don't have to wait for it to grow and glew it all over the stone. That will work out great. (y)

keithgh likes this.
  3. keithgh

Marcel

I used Super glue it works very well.

I would drain all the water (naturally keep it) glue them on what until its dry then to up again.

You might have to keep misting the tank while the glue is setting.

Someone else might have a better method of doing it.

4. MarcelM

keith, :) i was able to push it a a few millimeters further into the substrate and added 0.5 cm extra substrate in front of it. only got 60% of it left to cover. My grey cells are working over time now..

Im thinking of covering it with some small river brown/black colored river stones or taking my dremel tool out and maybe cap it with a nice small piece of drifwood to glew to plants on. Only need a small piece 8 x 3 x 1,5 cm,, :) and hollow it out to make it fit as a few millimeter thick plywood cap. ;) I think your cabinet makers brain knows where i'm going.

5. keithgh

Marcel

I have thought about that reason being A nana prefers to grow on old wood and I was not sure you could cut it out of a solid piece of DW.

The other method is to screw (using high grade SS screws) an L shape piece to go over the rock.

6. MarcelM

Keith, i indeed noticed the driftwood is pretty hard and dense.. Whit the dremel and a router bit i might get it in shape.
    I'm going to give it a try, since i need just a smal flat piece, or a few even smaller pieces.. I'll figure something out, without draining and screwing... Other options are stainless steel mesh with moss i can cut and bend in all kinde shapes. :)

Thanks for pulling me over the line.. with rather try to fix mistakes then to learn to live with them.. (y)

I'll keep you posted..

7. keithgh

Marcel

I grew Anubia for too many years I had a few plants that grew over 70cm and others nana petite that was extremely slow grower one point always noticed the fine roots attached to old soft DW a lot easier.

8. MarcelM

Keith, i already got the petite in my tank on wood.. It indeed grows rather slow.. but i noticed it rather growing the roots faster then leaves. it loves freedom of here roots to hang and grow in the flow.. I would love to try bigger ones when i'm having a bigger tank. :) Very nice plant.

9. keithgh

Marcel

I found it likes plenty of water movement, as its a slow grower it can have algae if you do not keep it growing.

[​IMG]
    The Anubia in the front is A nana X A nana petite

On the DW is a piece of A nana petite.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  10. MarcelM

Keith that a nice collection of Anubias.. :) Do you still have that tank?

11. keithgh

Marcel
    That was a very early photo here it is at its very best.

[​IMG]
    That photo was featured in an 2012 Aust Calendar.

I was pulled down earlier this year when I sold all my Aquarium bits and pieces and its now in the process of starting another Terrascape

The tanks were getting too much for me.

12. MarcelM

Wow! That's a nice jungle. Lovely setup, i like the Tetras behind the wood in the plants, looks realy natural like it should.
    I can imagine that it's a lot of detailed work to keep a tank like this in check and so beautiful. :) I could sit for hours and watch this tank, who needs a TV if you can have this.. (y)

keithgh likes this.
  13. keithgh

Marcel

It was not an easy decision to pull it down one local chap bought all the plants then came back and bought most of the hardware filters etc.
    The tank was less than 2mt from my desk and computer and I certainly miss it.

Actually it looked after its self I used liquid ferts every day and fert tabs for the crypts every three months.

Very little algae once I worked out how to keep every thing moving.

I am going to try to use that DW in the Terrascape.

14. MarcelM

Keith, i can imagine the pain it cost to see it go and you miss it. Who wouldn't!? This tank has a certain serenity in it.. And you say your not realy into plants, but the plant choice and placement is perfect. I notice you didnt use any moss, everybody else would.. But actualy it doesn't need it, it has everything it needs on the right place.

I've tried with choosing which wood to use, but i'm not ready yet to invision such a setup with a piece of wood like that. This truly is a poster worthy insprirational tank.

Now i'm curious what you're going to pull of with it as terrascape. :)

15. keithgh

Marcel

Thank you planting it was rather easy Crypts and Anubias and in the back RH corner a few bits and pieces.

Those pieces of DW after hunting every LFS in the area and further I found those in a LFS pets store only a few minutes away.

As the Cardinals died old age I slowly added more easy to look after Shrimps including an Aust Algae.

I was playing snail squashoo every morning a few hitched in on a plant.

Assassin snails illegal in Aust other wise I would have had a few in the tank.

As soon as the weather warms up I can start on the backing all work must be done outside no work shop or garage plus styrene foam makes a mess when shaping.

MarcelM likes this.
  16. MarcelM

What i like so much about the plant choice is especialy the forground.. And seeing the dimensions of it, it's rather a small tank. And than using a rather large crypt as forground plant is not a common thing to see in smaller tanks, wouldn't be the first choice for many others. That's experience in knowing your plants, how they grow and where to put them to make 'm look good and still create dept and scale. Thanks for posting that photo.. :) This opened a door and new thoughts for me for the low tech tank i'm planing for the comming winter to house the goldfish.

Funny thought actualy, you're waiting for the summer and we in europe are preparing for the winter.. :)

17. keithgh

Marcel
    goldfish and plants???

Many many years ago I had a little weedy Crypt given to me as a passenger with some Valls and it just grew and grew, at the back RH side there is three taller Anubias, on the left was a totem pole for A nana.

[​IMG]
    The Totem pole was placed there to hide the UGF riser and the inlet for the Eheim Canister.

The Crypts at the front were to hide a DW retaining wall which had A nana growing on it.

I actually let the tank develop and worked with the plants not against them.

greenfinger 2 and MarcelM like this.
  18. MarcelM

Keith, well the hiding part worked out quite well non of it is to see at first glance. :)
    That's also my philosophy.. I think this will give you the best natural result, let them deside how and where they want to grow and addapt to that.

Goldfish and plants work pretty well, they love it and need it.. Already got them for over 4 years now. In summer time they are outside in the yard in that old bath tub you already have seen. And in the winter time they come inside. But this year i confiscated their winter habitat and made a tropical tank of it. They became to big anyway for that little tank. So this winter they get a new and bigger one. Planning a 90 x 40 x 30 cm cold water low tech tank. They love to eat Elodea, so if they have that they wont nibble so much at others. Only need to secure the plants well enough so they wont dig 'm up. Usualy i go easy on the plants because it was only for the winter periode.. This year i'll try a real planted tank for them with some anubias and crypts too :) And keep the tank indoor, running and planted during the summer. :)

19. keithgh

Marcel

That was a earlier photo could not be seen as the tank aged.
    If I remember there were a few tall crypts behind the totem pole.

With all of the plants you choose make sure they are all hard leaf varieties.

I would test all of them first.

MarcelM likes this.
  20. MarcelM

I need to have them inside by the end of november.. And still need to build the tank and stand, i realy have to get it going this month. So getting the tank ready hardware like is my first consern.. The planting will be a longer term project. So this winter it probably wont become much to show for planted wise. Only some plants i can take from the pond inside as well, like some potamogeton natans and loads of elodea to start with and some other coldwater spieces.