1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello :)

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by MarcelM, Aug 25, 2015.

1. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Marcel, When taking photos do it at night with all other lights off and shut doors so the room is in total darkness with only the tank lights on;)Then take your photos. I find this the best way to get good photos through the tank glass :)

MarcelM likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks roy :) already did run a few nightshifts.. And came to find that since it is also an open top tank a great deal of light gets in to the room and bounces of the white walls. Next thing i'm going to try is put a dark cover over the lightstand and tank so that all the light goes trough the tank only.

And a back panel cover would also help a great deal i guess.. I see you use black or very dark background in many of your pictures. :) Do you have a particular reason for that or is it personal preference?. I might go for black as well, i have no idea what other color would look ok..

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. greenfinger 2

Hi Marcel, Ho I see yes you will have to sort that out. Another thing I have seen done is get a large piece of black cardboard cut out the size of your tank. Then place this over the front of the tank so you only see the tank this will stop the lights from reflecting ?

I just like the look of the black. It shows up plants well :) Blue is another colour that works well .

4. MarcelM

Because my tank stands on a table it's backpanel is about 40cm from the wall.. At first i had the idea to place a mirror behind it at the wall. Because my hardware is somewhat pulled to the middle of the tank instead of against the back panel. (as a tryout for a future idea). So it would be easier for maintenance so i can easily see it's backside without braking my neck.. And it probably would create a certain sence of dept when looking trough the tank in a miror 40 cm behind the tank. I haven't come to that to try it out how it actualy would look. I have the idea this would give a very crazy dept effect. But at that time i wasn't even thinking of joining a forum and share thoughts and pictures. With a mirror this would be completely dissastrous. :ROFLMAO: And probably impossible to show what real time effect it has in a picture.

Never thought it would take so much effort and extra work to take nice pictures of an aquarium. :whistle:

but it's actualy hitting 2 flyes in 1 blow.. if you wana share you have to learn photography as well. Which can always come in handy.. Lets rock and roll. I'm off to the shop tomorow to buy me the preparations, cardboard and backpanel cover. And fix me a nice dark hood which doesn't distroy the submersed hardware.

(y)

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Marcel

You are starting to learn aquascaping is not just a glass container with a few rocks, wood and plants.

See if you can find a professional photographer or someone from a local camera club to assist you.

A few minutes of hands on advice could save you many hrs of your time.

Keith:):)

6. MarcelM

Keith,

I have somebody i can talk to, she's an art teacher in photography. Unfortunately she's very bussy at the time and always on the road away from home. I don't see here that often. When i was talking about swapping the camera. She also told me don't worry about the small coolpix they take better pictures then a more expensive D80. o_O Now i only get more confused..

Anyway, still the day's are long now so there's limited timespan to experiment, can't realy darken the room during day time and have to wait till it's dark outside. It all limits and fragments the time to spend on it a bit. Only have the evenings and also other things to attend to..

For those maybe looking in to this topic and thinking what is this all about, here is a bad quality teaser i tried yesterday :LOL:

This is what i'm trying to get good pictures of. :oops: omg :cautious: never mind video..

moss_maniac and greenfinger 2 like this.
  7. keithgh

Marcel

Looks like you should invest in a good light, a pedestal for the camera plus a steady hand.

The only thing wrong about my very old Coolpix is the pop up flash is locked down.

8. MarcelM

Keith whit this bad video the light was dimmed down to only 50% and even switched 2 units off. Still playing with the right amount of light. It all runs on a computed controler. I have to reprogram the controler constantly to play with it, now i'm writing and installing different modes of light and try and see the difference, in time i find the mode i need. This was just having fun last night with a beer.. Thought why not post it.. :) as a sneak peak..

Steady hand indeed.. Where could we buy that.. :whistle:
    Today i'm going to buy a tripod and a bunch of black cardboard to try to resolve some light issues with the photography..

9. keithgh

Marcel

Sounds like a very good idea.

10. MarcelM

:mad: Now my camera gave up on me.. Lens error it doesn't come out anymore, stuck. It's about 5 to 6 years old now i think, not worth the repair costs. Talked to a budy, maybe i get anothor better one next week or else going to buy me a good used one, something with a more decent lens and settings. :)

11. keithgh

$$$$$ it never stops.

MarcelM likes this.
  12. greenfinger 2

Hi Marcel, Sorry to hear that :( Hope you sort one out soon ;)

13. MarcelM

Found me an other Camera.. Finaly! (y)..
    On of the test shots from the first day as sneak peek to show you and it looks promesing..
    DSCF4199.jpg
    Now some cleaning, trimming and other preparations and i'm good to go.. :)

14. keithgh

Marcel

Can the members have more information on the camera/lens as it takes a fantastic photo.

OK the tank also looks great.

15. greenfinger 2

Hi Marcel, Great you have a new camera (y) Nice photo Great looking Scape healthy plants too (y)

MarcelM likes this.
  16. keithgh

Marcel

The more I look at that tank the more you see it as a KIS Aquascape that is very pleasing to the eye.

My only concern is those white stones they look out of place as they match nothing else in the tank.

Brown smooth river stones (similar to Roy's tank ) would greatly improve your Aquascape.

17. keithgh

MarcelM likes this.
  18. MarcelM

Thanks Roy and Keith.. :)

yes keith you are absolutely right about the stones.. It conserned me from the beginning, to use or not to use them, i did use the big one for it's shape to secure the wood.. I have 2 big white stones in there bugging me now. At first i had the one you see for it's most part covered with a bush of Pogostemon Helferi, and this looked rather cool, a bit white in the plants back ground. But :( the darn P H died on me after i filled the tank, they all except 1 small piece melted away.. I couldn't get them going.

I thought i could fix it with adding some more little white river pebbles but it didn't realy do well.

The wood was glewed to these 2 stones to hold it down.. The glew is lose now and the wood soaked.. I'm planning to replace that stone with a darker one or two, but i not yet found a new stone and not realy gathered the guts to take it out.. I'm afraid it will collaps on me.. I need a extra pair of hands to get this fixed.

Got another white one in the slope behind the wood you can't see on this pic. Was totaly covered with HC, i loved my HC to death.:LOL:. It grew and grew and i forgot to trim it, till it was to late.. It started hovering above the substrate. Was my first HC. Replaced it with Monte Carlo and this one is yet not big enough to cover that stone. But eventually will, i hope, this stone i'm stuck with, if i take it out the slope will collaps.

Oh!? I elaborate on the camera within the coming up journal journal. Listed among the rest.. :) there is more in this tank bugging me a bit, i'll bet you'll gona see it before me pointing it out.. :p..

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  19. keithgh

Marcel

If you can cover it with plant/s Anubias nana petite (which can be glued on) or similar so it cannot be seen looks like the safest thing to do.
    Another lesson learnt.

20. MarcelM

Keith, indeed :) that was the initial idea,, Didn't recon with the fact some plants might not do what i think they would.. Like the P H doesn't want to grow in my tank and als the mini Bolbitis keeps dying on me.. I guess it's the soft water they can't stand and those 2 i tried to use to grow in this corner to cover these stones. The Bolbitis hangs on in there but just isn't growing, it grows to slow to cover anything fast, this is didn't knw about this plant..

Here is a pic from few months back. But as said the plants i thought would do good there and grow over the stone didn't. Now i'm trying with some other moss and some Süßwassertang.. I could indeed put some anubias nana petite there as well. Thanks for the idea..

lesson learned.. :)
    DSCN1954.jpg

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.