1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello :)

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by MarcelM, Aug 25, 2015.

1. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm new to this forum and like it already very much... I'll keep it short because you all want pics instead of stories of course.. I'll post some pics of my tank, plants and critters soon and tell some about it. My open top is still in it's maturing phase and for now i'm also still wrestling vigorously with my stubborn camera to get it to do what i want. Still strugling a bit :mad: but almost got it to tap out on me. :whistle:

Anyway Thanks for having me around.. (y)

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Marcel, Welcome to ASW. Nice to see you here my friend (y)

MarcelM likes this.
  3. MarcelM

Thanks Roy, and thanks for tipping me about this nice place... :)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  4. moss_maniac

moss_maniac Aspiring Aquascaper

Welcome too Marcel(y)
    have a good time here! Looking forward to your work...

MarcelM likes this.
  5. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Welcome to ASW! I hope you enjoy your experience here. It helps the admins to know the region you in live so that we can make accurate recommendations for any planting needs. :)

MarcelM likes this.
  6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ASW!

7. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Hello Marcel

You finally made it to ASW a very big welcome I am positive you will get some very interesting replies from your work.

Keith:):)

MarcelM and greenfinger 2 like this.
  8. MarcelM

Thanks Keith.. :) :eek: Now i get scared a bit.. :oops:
    :LOL: No just kidding.. I'm looking foreward to it as well.. Still working on your photography tips.

Hello Evelyn.. Nice to see you here. thank you. :)

keithgh likes this.
  9. keithgh

Marcel

Practice makes perfect have you tried Photo shopping as well yet?

10. MarcelM

Hi Keith,

Playing already a while with photoshop :) have to admit it's not an easy program and not at al familiar with all the terms they use in photography under the buttons and wath it actualy does or can do. When i have ince shot i sometimes use it to blow up snippings or brush away odd things in the back ground.. For now i first have to focus on getting the raw material correct in focus and exposure to begin with. I did a througout cleaning and trimming session on the tank yesterday. I'll try some shots some evening this weekend and going to try out some tips you gave me. I'll think i get something out of it. :)

11. keithgh

Marcel

There are a few magazine type books that can usually be bought at any good news agent.

Do you PS or PS Elements

12. MarcelM

Keith a do PS CS5 on my laptop :).

13. keithgh

Marcel

If its the latest paid version of PS Elements you get a fantastic free service from Adobe.

14. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Marcel, the best advice I have to you is mess around. As much as you can. You can always factory reset! :)

greenfinger 2, MarcelM and keithgh like this.
  15. keithgh

Marcel

I have done that several times when playing with new programs.

The other method is un install the program then reload it again.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  16. MarcelM

It's not the program it's definitevely me and the camera.. :( I tried yesterday evening to get the reflection out of the front panel with some light in front of the tank.. I guess i need to buy me a weaker bulb.. Couldn't get it to work.. Shot about 70 pictures in different angles, like you said Keith.. 15 degree up, down tried different things.. Not one picture of the 70 worked actualy out.. :cautious: Or it was the reflection spoiling it and if there was no reflection i actualy didn't shoot anything intersting but a nice clear shining ember in a lauzy composition. Also the exposure is somewhat difficult to find, i still playing with dimming the aqaurium lights to find it.. To much light and all is over exposed at the top or plants shine with a bright corona around it. Less light the image gets pixelated and or blurry like hell. Getting frustrated.. :barefoot:

But anyway still have time to practice :) at the time i'm getting rid off a little bit of staghorn with the use of easy carbo.. It's working out ok, but right now it looks a bit like a christmas tree with all the red fluffy stag popping out of the moss i didn't see before.. :LOL: I have to wait that out till this is gone..I'll try again to night and write down what setting i've tried.. So i do not repeat my mistakes over again.

If i get the raw material right photoshop is the least of a consern as former IT nerd i'll figur that one out when i have some good raw material to play with.

Ill get there eventualy.. Thanks for the tips and assistance.. :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  17. keithgh

Marcel

Think what its like if its a bow fronted tank.

Did you try the tissue over the flash?

A UV cover over the lens might help.

18. MarcelM

Keith

It's not the best quality tank thats for sure :p its a cheapo because im just starting again after 25 year break. And since this is a try out for a later project i did it in a € 20 walmart tank. I already noticed while back when i was scaping it what i did 5 times over again before i decieded to plant it. I had pain in my eyes after gazing through the glass in different angles for hours. Becuase the front panel is slightly wobbly, looks flat but in certain angels i clearly see minor wobbles and distorsions like looking trough bad pair of spectacles. That's when i thought next tank i realy build myself so i can order better quality glass at least for the panels in view. This is something i didn't see and didn't think of when the tank was empty in the shop. I guess this also maybe affect some of the photography.. Duno because never did photograph tanks before with digital camera. 25 years ago there were no reasons to photograph the tank, so zip experience.

But i did take nice shoots before while the tank and plants still where in the prime startup phase i just didnt notice what i've done to manage it. Just shoot away and afterwards see it was actualy a nice picture not even remembering why. few monts back the plants also still were tiny and much less distratcions, angles weren't such an issue. Now everything is much more dense and the tank starts to fill op with plant mass, it gets more difficult. The whole dept of the composition changes.. But it can be done, i did it before just don't know how the hell i managed to do that. The famous lucky shot theory. It doesnt kinda work with aquariums like that i've learned now. Simply and honnestly in a short sentence "i'm still not knowing what the hell i'm doing." :coffee:

Like when i take your tip, take a shot 15 degree up from the corner into the tank, than in my eyes i see a perfect shot. But with that small coolpix i only see a tiny diplay not realy showing how the photo will turn out when it's in his full resolution. On the camera's mini display it looks somewhat ok on the PC it looks like a dissaster with all imperfection right in your face. :cautious: Flares, blurs, small reflections or just out of focus because the auto focus takes the crest of one specific small rotala somewhere half way the shot. And the rest fades away in a blury pixelated mess.. This you don't see on such a darn small display.

But found me a nikon site telling a bit about taking aquarium shots.
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-An...how-to-take-great-photos-at-the-aquarium.html

The only thing is the coolpix S8000 i got i can't regulate shutter speed. So i need to play whit the available light to get the right exposure. I think i alsi need to cover the backpanel didn't want to till now but i think this will make a major difference. The white wall behind the tank reflects to much light back into the lens. And i ordering me a Nikon HR-E5700 Lens Hood for Nikon Coolpix 5700 & 8700.

You didn't exaggerate a bit when you said "This you simply do with great difficuty"..

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    keithgh likes this.
  19. keithgh

Marcel

If the glass is the cheap recycled type it will certainly not be flat.

Get as close as you can and look along the front of the tank that will tell you its quality.

Looks like the different modes will give you different speeds.

Stick with Auto it will be a lot easier in the long term.

Those photos would be taken by professionals not the happy snapper.

http://fish-etc.com/knowledge/to-photograph-fish-aquarium-part-2

I think this will be more helpful for you.

MarcelM likes this.
  20. MarcelM

Thanks Keith this is a very helpfull site.. :) With reading less then 10% of it it already learned me things i just for a stupid reason didn't think of.. Shut off the circulation and let the tank rest for a few hours.. Duh!? :unsure: Obvious actualy, when you think of it.. :LOL:.. :whistle: