1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

hello there

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by scapegoat, Feb 11, 2014.

1. scapegoat

scapegoat New Member

Hey,

Swinging on over after hearing the ScapeFu podcast. I can grow plants, but I can't aquascape very well, so I'm here to learn.

I've been in the hobby for a few years now and have a high tech 125g w/ sump conveniently located in a wall. Here is a slightly older gallery documenting the build process: http://imgur.com/a/jwssM#0

and here http://i.imgur.com/Jn6vs4R.jpg is a more recent, but not so super recent picture. I'm not happy with the way it turned out and am planning on a redo during the spring... a more "island" style scape located closer to the left overflow.

I'm also a web programmer and decided to combine my love for websites and programming with my love of fish tanks. I decided to solve a little problem I have... forgetting to do things. so I'm looking to automate my aquarium.

Now video below is a little "older" and doesn't showcase everything I've got done. at this point my controller can schedule 6 outlets to be on/off or on/off based on temperature. I can schedule 2 peristaltic pumps to pump once a day a specific amount of liquid in mL. so effectively, this is going to handle my lights, co2, and fertilization dosing. I have 2 float switches that I'm wiring up to further control a pump to top of sump when low.

my original goal with my fish tank was an african biotope w/ african community fish. Finding the right plants, in abundant numbers for a 125, has proven difficult. so at this point I just want a jaw droppingly gorgeous planted tank w/ african community fish.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  2. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Scapegoat,

Where to start I’m probably not the best person to welcome you as I’m new around these parts too. However I love your setup and would be quite jealous of it. I did spend some time looking through your photos just trying to spot something that identified where in the world you are, just a guess but I suspect Scandinavia? (if you add it to your profile it helps people assist you when answering your questions) Oops I see you have added it now :ROFLMAO::censored::D:ROFLMAO: I like you initial layout I can see where you are going, this is certainly the place to pick up tips and advice, and they have all been very friendly to me since I came onboard only a few weeks ago. There is lots to learn, this is the place to do it.

As a side issue, I think the idea of using a raspberry pie as a controller inspired, a term used on this forum quite a bit is “Keep it Simple*” and that certainly does, well done.

It’s coincidental that you should be looking at African fish as my current set up is Tanganyika Cichlids and to be honest I can’t keep plants with them, they destroy/eat just about anything I place in the tank, but I am seriously considering moving towards an Aquascaped tank in the future.

I will follow your progress with interest.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  3. scapegoat

scapegoat New Member

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm actually from the USA, Pennsylvania to be more specific.

The set up is pretty sweet. I'm a lazy programmer, so I built it so that it'd be as easy as possible to take care of. Unfortunately I still forget to dose ferts daily. I have decent plant AND algae growth because of that. Nothing like BBA, just surface green stuff on the glass that goes well away when I dose regularly. My wife also loves having everything hidden away. The maintenance room also allowed me to toss in a small rack for breeding.

As for fish... I've got a lead on some Jae Barbus, 6-8, that I plan on breeding in a breeding rack until the numbers are closer to 50-60 to stock the tank. Unfortunately our weather is making shipping impossible.

Right now i've got 12 congo tetra, a synodontis, 1 leopard bushfish, some otos and some five banded barbs. the barbs and otos will end up in another tank though, as they're not african. Plants are a little hardy to come across unless I'm looking at just anubias and vals... which are attractive plants, and would probably look fantastic, but i like some more variety.

I'm not sure if folks consider DIY automation simple? I have seen a lot of people jumping in with arduinos though! I think I complicated mine w/ the desire for a user interface and the ability to schedule it via that instead of within the code itself.

I might dive back into working on that controller tonight. It really needs to get put together and then put to work.

Thanks again for the kind welcome!

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Scapegoat, Welcome to ASW (y) Fantastic idea :cool::cool: Looking forward to your updates :)

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Hello Scapegoat

Welcome to ASW as far as High Tech etc I am one of the old school Keep It Simple and less likely to have many concerns.

I actually like the Hardscape you have again its simple, basic yet its very easy to sit back and admire.

Some of the planting looks a bit just OK in comparison the the rest of the Aquascape.

Post a few sketches of what you intend to do for the next Aquascape.

Keith:):)

6. scapegoat

scapegoat New Member

Thanks Keith

I'll start up a journal at some point to solicit feedback. Right now I'm keeping an eye out for the perfect driftwood. Ideally some wildly awesome manzanita stump that'll sit among rocks. something like: http://www.tfhmagazine.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Jeff-Discus-Tank.jpg but with tons of plants

I do like the drift wood I have in the tank, but I feel like it takes up too much room. the big guy in front... that concave spot is the size of my head, and only 4-5" from the glass. the size of it didn't leave a lot of wiggle room. I wish I had gotten a 180 instead of the 125... but it's a little late for that.

I'm definitely known for complicating things, ask my wife ;)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  7. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

scapegoat

I have never had Discus but I believe they should have plenty of plants they can move through it also gives them a little protection from the top glaring lights.

Keith:):)

8. scapegoat

scapegoat New Member

I wasn't planning on discus, or lack of plants; but i love love love the hardscape.