1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello Noob over here!!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by jordimex, Jun 8, 2017.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

jordimex

I would keep a very good eye on your pH it could be effected by your ornaments as the tank ages.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. jordimex

jordimex New Member

Thank you very much Keith i will do that. is there a rule of thumb as to how much bps are good per gallon?

3. keithgh

4. jordimex

jordimex New Member

will do Keith thank you very much

keithgh likes this.
  5. keithgh

jordimex

Only too pleased to assist you.

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

could you provide a link to the ISTA CO2 kit? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

If it is the disposable kit, unfortunately it is way undersized for your tank. To be completely honest, I hate these small disposable kits. They are misleading to hobbyists looking to get CO2. Fluval makes some too and they are just plain bad.

A good CO2 kit will have a CO2 tank (usually 5lbs), a good regulator (single or dual stage) with a post body kit consisting of a solenoid and needle valvea, a bubble counter, and lastly a method to diffuse the CO2. Diffuser, atomizer, or reactor. There is a lot of info out there on CO2, so do some research. Unfortunately, CO2 is not something that can be done well for cheap...it is the most expensive piece of equipment. Everything else can be done for less...but not pressurized CO2

keithgh likes this.
  7. jordimex

jordimex New Member

Here is the link Shadowmac
    http://www.istaproducts.com/product/co2-aluminum-cylinder-supply-set-1l-professional/ also posted it on the other thread

keithgh likes this.
  8. ShadowMac

not a good kit for your 65. This is the type of setup I'm talking about when I mean its a bad setup. Undersized for a 65 and no solenoid to automate the on/off periods.

To give you an idea. I run a 5lbs cylinder on most everything under 50 gallons. I run a 10lbs on my 90 cm tank which is around 50 gallons. This is of course light dependent and I run high light...but there is also a floor where you need to have a rate sufficient to dissolve enough CO2.

9. keithgh

jordimex

Shawn certainly has given you some excellent advice lets hope your unit is a quality unit.

10. jordimex

jordimex New Member

it does have a solenoid what im missing is something to shut it off in case my ph drops its also is 4 lb can

11. keithgh

jordimex

Have you done any research "Shut off" unit that can be connected to your unit?

If necessary can you return the unit and replace it with a complete larger unit?

12. jordimex

jordimex New Member

i don't think that would be possible :s i also don't want to run a full profesional co2 kit they seem really expensive and i won't have a very planted tank its only one corner so even though its too little for a tank this size i only need it for a small area is that possible @ShadowMac ?

13. keithgh

jordimex

[​IMG]

Is this the tank and area you are referring to?

If its for those plants only I would consider removing them then build that area up and move that large A Sword into that corner and it would completely fill that area in and more with its runners very quickly.

The Co2 unit you have two options either return it or keep it for a future small tank when you have more experience in Aquascaping and Co2 units.

14. ShadowMac

It would seem we are having the conversation in two spots with different info.

4 lbs cylinder? really? probably 5 lbs. Never heard of 4. Anyways, you do not need a pH controller. That would not be money wisely spent. pH drops are fine with CO2 injection and expected. 1.0 drop is generally a good place to start as that in most cases indicates about a 25-30 ppm CO2. You can observe fish for stress. They go to the surface and gasp if there is too much CO2. If that happens stop injection and start an airstone or do a water change. Too fast of a rate can cause this or too high of CO2 most often.

15. keithgh

Shawn apparently the 4lb Cylinders are used for home brewing.

Keith:cat:

16. jordimex

jordimex New Member

will definitely be doing that @ShadowMac thank you very much @keithgh i posted a picture of the tank on my other thread

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.