1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello from Perth Western Australia

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by wafinns, Mar 16, 2010.

1. wafinns

wafinns New Member

Having worked the best part of 30 yrs in the Aquarium industry in Perth Western Australia I now work in the building industry Yey for Monday to Friday jobs . I have a young family and run Aquatic plants direct from my home hothouses it costs more than i make As im a serious plant collector as Western Australia has the strictest Quarantine laws in the World. So Im always after new species to grow here in Perth . I cant even get plants from other states but if i get it from somebody giving it to me i can grow it provided it is not on the noxious list a picture of one of my hot houses is below
    Darren.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :welcome:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

wow :%3

I would love to give you some, but I´m afraid they wont survive the shipping from germany ..

by the way, welcome to ASW :welcome:

3. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

:welcome: Neat hothouse you got there. In Brunei, it is hard to get aquatic plants too so I then to convert some land plants into aquatic plants with sme sucess.^:)^

4. wafinns

wafinns New Member

Importing Plants into Western Australia

Hello everybody.

The real reason you can not import aquatic plants into Western Australia except by strict quarantine rules is the fact that they are trying to prevent the liver fluke snail crossing the border suffice to say that the snail is already here but the parasite is not there is a list of permitted imported plants subject to a 2 hr copper bath and 4 week period of isolation in a series of chemicals to kill the snail and eggs but this is toxic to all but the hardiest of plants.

Im more about preserving species that are here already alive and thriving as most people that get rare plants kill them before I can get hold of them to grow them. plants like Tonia spp. or Shinnersia spp yes there is a noxious plant list nation wide Im opposed to growing them as they are weeds in the truest sense !!
    What Im about is preservation of plants I have a plant that is endangered in its native country of USA " Hottonia palustris" given to me as a small submerged piece i now have 6 pots of it 2 years later.

I have another australian native " Glossostigma elatinoides " that was until last year unavailable to the australian market but was widely used in aquascapes in America for the last 5 years Come on guys we let the yanks get hold of our plants before us!!

Then you have over zealous and uninformed DEC inspectors who read the law as the family of plants is banned like Sagittaria the fact is "platyphilla" Giant sagittaria is banned but the "subulata" Dwarf flowering Sagittaria is allowable its a very old plant that most people think is narrow valis but it is very different in its growth habits it will flower in an aquarium with a little white flower . Its sad to say that its almost lost to the Perth market as it is difficult to grow commercially

Its true to say that almost all aquarium plants available world wide are are not available here in Western Australia !
    Its also true that 90% of them will not survive if they escape into the wild as they require rainforrest conditions to survive.

WA Department of Agriculture and Food. link for plant import into western australia
    Department of Agriculture and Food - Permitted and quarantine species list

Its a fact that currently there is only one full time Aquarium plant farm in Western Australia ( Hillview Aquariums ) the farm has no true named crypts or swords and exists for profit alone there was until 2007 2 farms but hillview bought out the higher quality water flora farm in 2008 Terry and his wife from midland pets ( formally water garden world )work their farm part time but due to the size of hill view the struggle to make a living the only other farm is Aqua hort ,Ian supplies pond plants and is owned by Watergarden World although Ian has a passion for Echinodorus Spp. Ollie at Aquotix is passionate about Aponogetons.
    BoxingBoxingBoxingBoxingBoxingBoxingBoxingBoxing

5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I though Glossostigma diandrum is the one that Australia native but maybe I'm wrong. Its leaf is smaller then Glossostigma elatinoides, I would love to have some ;)

Have you ever think of selling it outside Perth? I have friend in Sydney who keep complaining on how difficult to get plant in Australia but I can't help, you know how difficult plant import regulation in Australia not just WA. He is an Australia ADA distributor. I can PM you his contact if you want.

6. wafinns

wafinns New Member