1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello from Mischa, Netherlands

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Mischa, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Mischa

Mischa New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm 14 years old, lives in Amsterdam and infected with the aquascape virus!
    I visited this forum many times because I can get here much information. I like the scaped aquariums to B-). But I dont know what i have to buy to start aquascaping. The aquarium comes in my bedroom. So i dont have space for a large aqua. The max size for my bedroom is 80x50x50. Is this to small? What kind of lightning i need ? I have seen many people with T5 lighting. The man who helped me (friend) says that 4x 24W T5 is good enoughf. For filtration i gonna buy a eheim or an JBL extern filter. I hope that all members can help me :D. Ciao from the Netherlands :-p .

P.S sorry for my bad english :(.

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Hi Mischa,
    how is the weather in Netherlands? Germany is raining all the time .. cant wait for summer :D

The size of your tank, specialy the height depends on which style you want to go. My advice would be to take 80x40x40 as the the proportions from a 80x50x50 is not so good, if you go for ..x50x50 you should better choose a minimum lenght of 100 cm.
    Eheim and JBL are both top, dont know if there is something wrong with my Eheim ecco but my JBL is more silent. JBL is less expansive to ;)
    4x25w t5 will be enough for your 80cm tank.

3. Mischa

Mischa New Member

Ok thanks for the helpful information ! The weather here is fine. Not cold- not hot but normal :D. But why 80x40x40? Maybe it's better to do this, 70x50x45? with 3x24W T5? About the filtration i go for the JBL because u say that your pomp are silent. Do somebody now of this filter good: tetratec ex 700. Ciao everyone .

4. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ASW

I would go for EX1200 on that tank EX700 will not be enough flow for planted tank of your size. I have EX700 on a 125litre tank and to supplement I use a Koralia1 (1500lph) to boost the flow.

AC

5. Mischa

Mischa New Member

@Supercoley1 thanks for you reaction. have i need much flow for my planted tank? And you use the teratec ex 1200 or the Jbl Cristalprofi?

6. Supercoley1

I have an EX70 but I added the Koralia to boost circulation. The 1200 would provide more circulation for you.

It is not the filtering capability of the 1200 you need over the 700. The 700 will do the job perfectly well. It is the flow in the tank that the 700 won't be enough for. Therefore if you are buying a filter, then go for the bigger one rather than have to buy a smaller filter and have a pump within the tank to get the flow up :)

AC

7. Mischa

Mischa New Member

Thanks for the information! But i cant choose fish who liked not to much flow in your tank. Or can I? Can I use Bio-co2 on the big tank? Or have i to buy a set with gas bottles?

8. Supercoley1

'Too much flow for fish' is a very overplayed myth. Of course there is a limit but the old 2-3x turnover statements are not even near the mark!!!

I have (on paper) 2200lph turnover in a 125Ltr tank and there are no problems with the fish. In fact most of the day you can see 25 Rasbora Espei (little fish these) having a competition to see who can swim upstream against the 1500lph Koralia!!! they love it.

With 1200lph - flow restrictions you will be closer to 650lph in your tank and therefore much lower than mine. I need much more because I tend to let my plants grow into a jungle and therefore have much more of a flow problem than most people.

I would suggest with 4 x 24W T5 over your tank you will need pressurised CO2 and not DIY yeast.

AC

9. Mischa

Mischa New Member

Ok this information was verry helpfull! What is a good co2 typ?
    In my lfs they sell sera and dennerle co2 sets. Dennerle looks nice.
    Can somebody help me with choose a good co2 system?

10. Jurijs mit JS

they all do their work, but I would say Dennerle is better then Sera. My first Co2 system was from Dennerle too :p I would reccomend to take a bigger co2 bottle, 2kg should be ok as the smaller one you will need to refill every 3-4 months. Other possibility are one way bottles where you can allways have some in stock. Last in a set are less expansive but not environmentaly friendly..

11. Mischa

Mischa New Member

Thanks for the info! Ok i would go for the dennerle. But i dont have enoughf money for that now. What size aquarium i have to get now? 80x50x40 - 80x40x40 - 70x50x40? And i strart with 3x 24W tl is that good?

12. Jurijs mit JS

which tank size is finaly your choise, my rankind would be:
    80x40 > 80x50 > 70x50

Aquascaping is not cheap, but is a lot of fun!
    as for the lightning:
    Take 2x (2x24W) they are often available and you will have more possibilities with it.

13. Mischa

Mischa New Member

Look i have 400 euro to spend ! For that money i can buy a : aquarium , 3x 24W T5 , Pomp , heating , and co2 system. If i buy more lightning i dont have enoufgh money for co2. I cant buy here good lightning =[. Only the 4x T5 from arcardia that cost 400 euro!! I think i go for this size aqua 80x50x40. Is that ok?

14. Jurijs mit JS

ofcourse it is, scape it!

ah yeah the budget^^ Well, plants soil and hardscape cost too?!

15. Mischa

Mischa New Member

Yes i now but i cant spend max 400 euro for the hardware + aquarium.

16. Jurijs mit JS

Which style are you going to try first? Is there any scape you like best and want copy it?

17. Mischa

Mischa New Member

18. Mischa

Mischa New Member

Now somebody a shop where i can buy good aquarium lightning?

19. Jurijs mit JS

The tank you linked is not easy and requires a lot maintenance, all the stems must be trimmed regulary! I´m a bit confused about this site as there is a lot chinese ..

I thought you would buy your lightning from yur lfs? otherwise there are many online shops, you can google for them.

20. Mischa

Mischa New Member

I have found this site: aquaristic.net - External Filters . I think i go order here in this shop. But i not sure of this is safe. I'm always afraid that they scams me. They are in duthland and me in the netherlands.