1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello from Miami Florida

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by alain, Mar 22, 2011.

1. alain

alain New Member

Hello from Miami,

My name is Alain and I am experiencing a renaissance in fish keeping in general. I heard about this place on the Scape Fu Podcast and decided it was the place for me to come and develop my hobby. Over ten years ago I kept freshwater live planted aquariums. This was achieved with the sphagnum moss dirt-bottom technique with the instructions coming from the old man in the mom-and-pop pet shop. At the time did know about aqua-scaping and the aquariums were just as a collection of community fish and untrimmed plants left to their own devices without any real structure. They were very successful as a stable healthy environment with lots of hiding places for my community fish but that's all they were.
    A couple of weeks ago I saw an ADA setup on YouTube and was bitten by the bug once again. The tank looked like a work of art everything looked so clean and fit so well together. I decided then to give the hobby a try once again so I started researching online for different setups which turned out to be new to me very complex and light years ahead and when compared to the dirt tanks. Things like the constant monitoring by electronic Ph/C02 probes and computer controlled day-night light cycle.
    Recently I purchased a used aquarium setup consisting of a Fluval profile 72 gal tank, G6 filter, and a C02 reactor system and the seller threw in the livestock as well. A few tetras, zebras, and some miniature swords, hair grass, and java moss which I have in a 30 gal plastic container with a filter running. As for the tank I brought it all to my living room broke it down and cleaned it. I washed and reused the substrate together it with construction sand and 80 pounds of rock as a base foundation for my aqua-scape. My inspirations come from the Oliver Knott at Green Machine video. I used his technique of separating the substrate and sand with a cardboard and slowly pulling it away so they don’t mix then using rocks to separate the two. I tried to use the golden ratio in my layout and arranged the rocks accordingly maybe.
    Now it’s time to take it to the next level and really take the aquarium hobby to something more than just a novelty item in my living room.
    Here come my string of questions
    · As for the plants and driftwood I got with the purchase they are mostly covered with algae and don’t know if there’s a way to wash it off completely.
    · I also wanted to do the mineralized soil technique but living in a second floor apartment it’s close to impossible. Do I have enough plant growing material for a healthy environment?
    · I want to eventually keep Discus and cardinal tetras along with a few cherry shrimp and one bamboo shrimp.

I am here to learn and avoid catastrophic mistakes so all critiques and suggestions are welcome.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y11KRnp3TRk"]A video from the previous aquarium owner.[/ame]

Tank setup early this morning.
    [​IMG]

Best regards,
    Alain

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ASW, Alain!

Looks like you have plenty of experience and are off to a good start. This is a great place to brainstorm ideas and get advice. It has been invaluable to me.

I look forward to seeing more from you. Best of Luck!