1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello From Illinois USA

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Joseph Huntley, May 26, 2015.

1. Joseph Huntley

Joseph Huntley New Member

Hi Guys thanks for such an awesome site. I am failry new to aquascaping and look to learn a lot from you guys.

I am working on 1 of 2 tanks which will be CO2 Enriched and will be using 2 40B tanks 36" x 16.5" x 18"

I have a small tree in it will use xmas moss on and in the front of wall will be Eleocharis Belem (Dwarf Hair Grass Belem), and in the 2 corners of the wall on the lower part will be 2 bushes of Bylaxa jap.

I haven't figured out the rest yet. the top of the wall slants downward towards the rear to allow for some taller background plants.. I am just waiting for my Blelem and CO2 proof tubing to arrive this week

Joe

Attached Files:

keithgh and John N. like this.

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hello Joseph and welcome to ASW. Could you please fill in your location? This is an international forum and sometimes to give advice it is helpful to know where you are located.

It is certainly an unconventional scape. The wall reminds me of an English or Irish countryside. Filled in with green it might look very similar.

3. Joseph Huntley

thanks Mike yes I am from NW Illinois in the USA and you nailed it right on the head. I designed this off the old Irish stone walls I have seen pictures of and thought it really looked good and so tried to do an irish countryside type setting for this scape. I still dont know what I want to do for the back yet as I dont want it to get out of proportions with the tree. I would like maybe some AR Mini in lower portion to give a little red but still haven't decided on upper portion or ground cover yet. I figured with little pic there ppl may come up with some suggestions since I am new to this so might be missing mini plants I could use. I am a big fan of bushy types. I have had planted tanks but nothing "Scape" looking

4. Joseph Huntley

I did think of trying some mini Pellia on the tree but figured I could use the Pellia like little bushes around tree and maybe top of the wall possibly mini fissiden ground cover on top

John N. likes this.
  5. ShadowMac

Hi Joseph,

I meant in your profile. Could you add location there ;) that way it follows you when in other threads. Just a tip.

Mini pelia for a tree would not be good. It clumps and does not hold on well. Christmas moss, mini christmas moss, peacock moss maybe others are better candidates.

As far as ground cover, for someone newish, I would recommend micranthemum monte carlo for a carpeting look. You may also think about hemianthus micranthemoides for a bushy stem that responds very well to frequent trimming. You can essentially shape it. If you don't mind it getting everywhere riccia fluitans is an option to break up the look of the carpet. In a scape I have done it mixed thoroughly with the hair grass essentially making a shapeable mound. Be warned however, it is invasive and to keep it where you want it is near impossible. YOu have to continuously move it out of spots you don't want it.

6. Joseph Huntley

yea i have had riccia it never got way out of hand for me for some reason its one them plants that dont like me rofl. I am trying to think the name of it atm its kinda a star looking plant I was thinking for carpet plant will have to look the name up again

7. Joseph Huntley

syngonanthus sp. 'belem' was the plant if i could find it makes a nice looking carpet

8. Joseph Huntley

another one i looked at due to the Irish theme is
    Marsilea Minuta but I dont know where to get it

9. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Joseph

I will be honest I have never seen a wall done like that, are you going to create a natural bush like setting?

One suggestion before you buy any plants draw up a plan of what and where you would like certain plants to grow.

By doing this it will save you from making many costly mistakes.

Keith:):)

10. Joseph Huntley

I have some scratches on paper but nothing definate. my main goal atm was to get my ground cover going and lower area set up and tree mossed
    as that will take the longest

11. Joseph Huntley

12. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Joseph

My main point is don't buy any plants until you get the correct advice from the plant experts here on ASW.

Keith:):)

13. Joseph Huntley

yea I have ordered my Dwarf hairgrass Belem for the front and I have the rest of the plants already in my planted tank I just deciding what ones I might want for the top I havent thought of yet

Lower p[art in front of wall will be hair grass cover with 1 Bylaxa jap in each corner and possibly some AR Mini along the wall its the top I havent figured out yet I like more bushy type plants and want to find something to line the top of the wall next

14. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Joseph, Welcome to ASW Looking forward to seeing how your Scape turns out. Great idea(y)

15. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ASW

16. Joseph Huntley

thanks guys got my xmas moss tied to my tree last night and my new canister filter hooked up so wont be long til i get it planted up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  17. Joseph Huntley

I am going to be starting a journal for this one but thought for now would share the planting and stocking of this tank. theres a couple plants missing I just need to figure out their names first. was given tons of little bits and pieces and havent a clue what half of them are named.

Fish Stock

Hara jerdoni : Dwarf Anchor Catfish

Pseudomugil gertrudae: Rainbowfish

Paracheirodon simulans: Green Neon Tetra

Axelrodi riesei: Ruby Tetra

espei rasboras

Celestichthys margaritatus: Celestial Pearl Danio

Caridina japonica: Amano Shrimp

Danio tinwini: Gold Ring Danio

Plant Stock

DHG Belem foreground carpet

Marsilea Minuta Upper Level Carpet

Bylaxa jap (Lower corners of wall)

Hygrophila pinnatifida (Phoenix Fern)

Pogostemon helferi (line across top of wall)

AR Mini (Lower center of wall)

Xmas Moss Tree Leaves

18. ShadowMac

That is a lot of fish for your tank. Aesthetically it may be best to stick with one or two different species of schoolers. I like one large school and one secondary smaller school many times in larger tanks. You have seven different species. How many of each do you plan? At that number of species you could only accommodate 3-5 of each, which for schooling fish will not allow for natural behavior.

Fish like the CPD are skittish and need heavily planted tanks and a large group to feel safe. You should look into your stocking and your species selection. I like to use www.seriouslyfish.com as my resource for fish info.

19. Joseph Huntley

I have the rainbows are out as the parameters are a little soft for them but the others I choose fish for the bottom mid and top water columns and at 3/4 inch to inch each theres plenty room and I have more than enough filtration for them. I have like 80 larger fish in my other 40. 6 full grown cories, 18 longfin black skirt tetras, 8 long fin zebra danios, 12 ghost shrimp, 6 serpae tetra and abt 30+ Plecos. my water parameters run abt 0 ammonia 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates. I do a 25% wc a week and havent lost a fish in there in 2 yrs and it is heavily planted

20. Joseph Huntley