1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello From California

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by MadMensch, Jul 2, 2017.

1. MadMensch

MadMensch New Member

Hi all,

I'm excited to be a part of this community and want to thank those who are reading this. I am brand new to the planted tank hobby but have experience with reef keeping for the past 10 years or so. I've been reading up on Iwagumi and am very interested achieving this style of planted tank.

A few weeks ago I purchased an Aqua Japan 17g cube tank and have not stocked it while I do research. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you all can provide some advice on.
    1. The Aqua Japan tank came with a very weak 10.5W LED lamp. I'd like to keep carpeting plants (cuba, etc.) so I imagine I will have to upgrade for more wattage. Any recommendations on LED lights? Dimensions of my tank are 40 x 40 x 40.
    2. For a 17g tank with carpeting plants is a DIY CO2 infuser sufficient? Or is a pressurized system mandatory?
    3. I bought some eco-complete when I got the tank but after doing some research I am considering going with a smaller grained substrate. Maybe ADA Amazonia. Can I use eco-complete as base layer and put Amazonia on top?
    4. Lastly, I really want to do this tank right and only aquascape it once. I'm having a hard time sourcing some good Ryuoh stone. Are there any online stores that sell this stone or similar?
    Thank you very much in advance and I'm very excited to start sharing my progress as I journey into Iwagumi.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

MadMensch

Welcome to ASW
    As a beginner to Aquascaping Iwagumi would be considered the hardest to do then if you are referring to a simple rocky aquascape that is completely different.

I have several links re Iwagumi I will post them for you tomorrow

I think you will find a quality pressurised unit Co2 is far more reliable, but every thing depends on your planting and is it necessary for your plants.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member