1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by t_glynn, Nov 13, 2013.

1. t_glynn

t_glynn New Member

Hi, all!

I came across this forum just googling for some answers and decided to register. I've kept aquariums since I was 6, starting with a 5.5 rainbow-gravel, purple-plastic-plant, neon tetra wonderland :LOL:. I now have 110gal discus, 120gal mbuna, 7gal gertrude rainbow, 75gal reef, 27gal reef, and 5gal RCS tanks. All the freshwater tanks are planted, but not necessarily "aquascaped" I've been able to keep plants alive, but I never see much growth. Hopefully I can learn and practice the skills required to make my tanks "wow" from this forum. I've got my eye on a set up at a LFS, and I'd love to start right this time. I'm a student on a very limited income, so I'm always looking for the most cost effect way without compromising. I look forward to being a member! :D

ShadowMac likes this.
  2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi t_glynn, Welcome to ASW :) Wow you have been busy :cool: Looks like you could give us some tips:D Enjoy the forum (y)

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

t_glynn

Welcome to ASW you certainly have been busy considering you are a student.

Can you post some photos of your fish and tank please, (use Photobucket) its very safe and easy to use, that will give us an idea of where you are as far as Aquascaping.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  4. t_glynn

t_glynn New Member

Sure thing. Here's what I'm "dealing" with currently. haha
    [​IMG]
    7gal cube, 12in cube/ ~30cm cube. I've got staurogyne repens, and two others I don't remember names of. Fluval Stratum substrate, LED light- 3W maybe?

[​IMG]
    I'm actually unsure the size of this tank. Could be 100-120gal. Will get the dimensions if anyone would like them. I've got an AMAZING piece of driftwood in there, I just wish the plants were all aquascaped so that you could focus on the "centerpiece" wood. I've got several species of plants- red tiger lotus, swords, some stems etc. Eco-Complete substrate, root tabs, 4x t5HO bulbs. I really want to do an overhaul on this tank. Take all the plants out and rethink it.

5. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi t_glynn, Two nice set ups there (y) And the DW looks fab indeed. Best thing to do now would be to start a journal ;)

6. t_glynn

t_glynn New Member

That sounds like a good idea! I found out that I have an unusual tank size, (125 gallon extra high) it's 60in x 18in x 26in , or 152.4cm x 45.72cm x 66.04cm. If this tank was on end, I could stand in it! I'll probably start a journal soon, as this tank is the main one I want to focus on right now.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ASW! Looks like you have some planted tank experience. The plants look to be in good health. Thanks for sharing the photos of your tanks. I agree with greenfinger, starting a journal of your overhaul on the 120 would be a good place to start.

I suggest your first entry start with this tank photo and a list of all equipment, your goal for the tank, and the plants and fish you plan to keep. Right away we can make the driftwood more visible. You have some tall plants in front of it like swords and the lotus. I would group the lotus together in one spot behind the driftwood, move the swords to the back and use some small crypts and dwarf hair grass like Eleocharis parvula or belem in front of the driftwood. We can go into it in more detail when you start your journal.

Best of luck and enjoy your jump into aquascaping.

8. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

t_glynn

A Journal is the best way to start there are several reasons if there is a concern its very easy to go back and follow what you have been doing plus its a fantastic learning tool for all beginners.

That tank shows you are certainly not a beginner you have the ability to create a lovely tank like that.

Keith:):)