1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Beagle, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Beagle

Beagle Aspiring Aquascaper

Just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone on here!

I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to planted tanks/aquascaping but I'm really wanting to get a bit more involved in it. I started out a few years ago with a tiny betta tank in school and now have a partially planted, standard 10g mixed population tropical tank, and an empty ~30g hexagon tank (my poor oranda just passed away).

I'm hoping that with some help and guidance from people and different articles on here that I can both improve what I've got in my 10g as well as get something new and fun started in the hexagon tank! So far I haven't seen too much online of people trying to do planted/aquascaped hexagon tanks, so if anyone knows of any fun ideas I'd love to hear them! So far it's just got plain black sand in it... I was thinking of incorporating some seiryu stone into it cause I love the look but haven't started anything yet.

Looking forward to hearing from you! :)

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Beagle, Welcome to ASW :D Sorry Oranda past away :( All the best info on here (y) With hexagon Scape Black sand and Seiryu stone Sounds good ;)Any pics :) Have fun and enjoy ;)

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Beagle

Welcome to ASW there is plenty of information here for you to look at.
    I my memory there are not many Hex tank here.

Before you start doing any hard Aquascaping rocks etc plan what you intend to do even try several set ups and take a photo of each one by doing that we can advise you which is the best one and why.

Keith:):)

4. Beagle

After looking around at what information is on this awesome forum.... I've found out that I have no idea what I'm doing!!! :D But I'm really excited to get my hands dirty and at least start out by improving what I've got, or starting out with a simple new plan for my currently empty tank.

I've attached some images of what I had in mind for my hex tank, I know it's not the greatest tank in the world but it's a place to start while I'm still figuring out how to really take care of everything that's inside of it! The first plan is what I think I'd really like to do (excuse my lack of artistic skills)---have a large either single piece of driftwood or multiple pieces put together (I typically like the look of Malaysian), and have mixed tall/shorter beginner plants around the base of it and add moss to some of the upper 'branches'. Although I'm open to ideas I think I'd like to keep it as a planted tank and hopefully replace my oranda that passed away.

It's a 30g hex tank and right now it has a 14w light in it... I have a feeling I'll need to upgrade that before I get too far into this to get enough watt/g? And maybe I'll need more than just the sand substrate... I'm guessing that would depend on what plants I'd like to put in it... Ahh!!! :) I've also never really used liquid ferts before but I've been trying to read up more about them and the EI on other threads so eventually I'll probably have some questions about that too. :)

Any recommendations on what I've got in mind or any other helpful hints you all might have would of course be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping to kind of play around with this tank and then refurbish my 10g tank (I'll try to post pics of it later) to something maybe a bit more advanced? Gotta get my feet wet somehow!

Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

5. keithgh

Beagle

Can you give us more measurements for that tank particularly the height.

If its a deep tank you could have problems with plants as I am positive that light will not be strong enough.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...oBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1152&bih=613&dpr=1.67

I have a friend who has a similar tank and I can assure you it was not easy to set up.

Select a few from here as a starting point and I think you will be better off than trying to do it all by your self, use them as a good guide as what can be done and what should not be done.

6. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Any tank is a good tank to scape. Well almost! That a deep tank. Recommend low light species such as any cryptocorynes for ease.

-John N.

ShadowMac likes this.
  7. Beagle

After looking a bit into it @keithgh , you're definitely right---there's not a lot of planted hexes out there for a reason... But there are a few! By the way, my hex is 24" tall, which is pretty deep. I'm cutting back a bit and thinking if I kept it with only low light species and made sure to not block any light (I'm thinking maybe using a Manzanita driftwood piece to keep it pretty light/airy?). This is an example of more or less what I'm thinking: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/mikenas102/Aquarium/30hex006.jpg. Maybe even a bit less planted then that though, idk.

I was basically just wanting to start this tank out so I could get a hang of using ferts and actually planting before I did a total do-over on my 10g. I'd really like to do something a bit more advanced in that one but I thought it'd be better to start figuring things out on my other, empty, tank first.

Thanks for the plant suggestion @John N. , if you have any more let me know! I've pretty much only ever worked with amazon swords (Echinodorus amazonicus) and a few others that I'm not sure of... Again, I'll try to post pics of what I've got going on in my 10 maybe this weekend... got a big test tomorrow so waiting till I get that over with! :)

I really appreciate all your help!!!

greenfinger 2 and John N. like this.
  8. John N.

An amazon sword would have difficulties due to the lighting conditions, but it would love the height your tank has to offer.

Try some species of java fern too.

Good luck,

-John N.

9. keithgh

Beagle

That is a KIS Aquascape its a pity the lighting is not shown. You will have to stick to all Low Light plants.

You can cheat a little by having a 15cm deep substrate.

Growing Anubias nana petite on those pieces of DW might be worth considering.

10. Beagle

Well... Just as I had finished planning out my new hex tank layout... I had a bit of a fortuitous accident! My poor 10g tank sprang a leak a few days ago, and seeing as my hex tank was standing empty, my 10g inhabitants got quite the upgrade by being moved into the hex!!!

So slight downside is I'm gonna put the hex tank re-do on pause for a little while. Up-side is, I'm gonna start from scratch to put up a new replacement tank (hopefully before the plants I had to put into the hex die off)! I'll probably start up a new thread to have some help getting everything going, but I think I'm gonna try for a low-tech iwagumi-style aquascape, with maybe tetras and shrimp.

But for now I've gotta try and research a lot and get materials gathered. I live in the middle of nowhere Iowa with not many LFS nearby so it might take me a little while. :) I'll keep you all posted!

Thanks for the help!

John N. likes this.
  11. John N.

@Beagle, on that's the oldest trick in the book. ;)

You - "OH hunny, my small tank sprang a leak! What to do?"
    Significant Other/Mom/Dad - "Oh my, get a new tank quickly for your fish!"
    You - "That's a great idea. While I'm at it, I'll just get a bigger tank"

Cheers,

-John N.

12. keithgh

Beagle

I would rather a small tank leak than a 5ft crack while you are looking at it causing a very big insurance claim.

13. Beagle

@John N. , definitely using this as an excuse (to just myself haha) for getting a new tank, but I'm actually looking at either getting the same size or even downsizing a bit! :) Definitely puts my mind a little at rest @keithgh for just in case I get another leak for some reason! I already have the one big tank (nervous about it breaking down...), and I'm still in college so I know I'll be moving around a bit for the next few years. I'd hate to get something that would be a challenge to move around from place to place. It's also another reason I'm trying to keep it low-tech---that way if I need a friend to help take care of it for a little while it's not too much of a big deal (hopefully). :)

I started a new thread in the journal section to try and help me get started with the new setup. Also just bought my first EI fert 'kit' from GLA, so I'm looking forward to trying to play around with that in my hex tank. Not sure how much good it will do w/o CO2 or very much lighting, but I was thinking starting out w/ super low amounts couldn't hurt too much... I guess we'll see!

Thanks for the support guys! :)

14. keithgh

Beagle

Both my tanks are low tech making them easy to maintain and easy for the wife when I went on extended fishing trips.